New regulations at Chiang Khong border

I could read it - but if pasted in probably deleted....basically tad tougher to get back in for those here a year/+ ...some being told to fly in to Thailand at such a remote point (!) and other criteria ..will be due to excess traffic coming from Mae Sai being closed - making them fussier maybe so they are not seen as a soft touch.

The town there is pretty bleak if having to stay overnight, but Beer Lao big bottles 40 Baht and no horrorcore hangovers like Thai beer being an upside....Lao border towns restaurants/guest houses tend to have low hygiene...was my exp. there anyway if you have a good look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I could read it - but if pasted in probably deleted....basically tad tougher to get back in for those here a year/+ ...some being told to fly in to Thailand at such a remote point (!) and other criteria ..will be due to excess traffic coming from Mae Sai being closed - making them fussier maybe so they are not seen as a soft touch.

The town there is pretty bleak if having to stay overnight, but Beer Lao big bottles 40 Baht and no horrorcore hangovers like Thai beer being an upside....Lao border towns restaurants/guest houses tend to have low hygiene...was my exp. there anyway if you have a good look.

Yes with maesai border being closed all the Pai and Chiang Mai crowd are heading to Chiang khong.lets see if it's just this border or all borders.

On 12/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, hakancnx said:

From Chiang Mai Visa Run Company:

Based on our recent call (9 Dec 2022 ) with immigration officers in Chiang Khong, the border is open for border runs. However there is a lot more scrutiny at the moment and in certain situations you may run into problems when trying to get back in Thailand from Laos.

At this time, do not attempt a border run/border bounce to Chiang Khong if:

- you have been living in Thailand for more than 1 year. You will be told to fly back in.

- you are on the very last day of your current visa at the time of your border run. (Whatever the type of visa or exemption, go before the last day.) You will be told to spend one night in Laos. 

- you have overstayed. You will be told to spend one night in Laos. 

For the people on visa exemptions or single / multiple entry tourist visas, you may be asked for any the following :

- ???? Proof of address in Chiang Mai or hotel reservations. 
- ???? Proof of funds. 10000 thb for single traveler or 20000 thb for a family.
- ✈️ Onward flight ticket reservations departing within 45 days after your re-entry.

Our most recent trip to the border was yesterday (10 Dec 2022) and for all passengers (15 people) the trip was a success.

Thank you for the information. 

Are Lao visas on arrival still available at Huay Xai? I read elsewhere on this forum that they were no longer available at some entry points. 

• 2 months later...