Procurement Of First Two F-35A Fighters Likely Delayed Till 2034

webfact

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

England & France have just announced the development of a new generation of jet fighter due on line about the same time. Seems Thailand got in first to buy up the obsolete machines.

Honestly, I don't think this is a good idea. NATO needs a common (with network capability) weapon system, and F35 is the best answer to this requirement at this point in time. The French should flog their (our) Rafale to the third world (Thailand) and air shows.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Due to the close relationship between Thailand and China i am surprised the Americans want to sell any hi-tech weaponry.

And who is Thailand's fearful enemy that require such overkill? Burma, Laos and Cambodia can be paid less than a submarine to back down.

I suspect, but cannot prove, it is because of the number of top brass expected to retire in a year or so and need to buy the Mia Noi another house.

Really no shame.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

England & France have just announced the development of a new generation of jet fighter due on line about the same time. Seems Thailand got in first to buy up the obsolete machines.

Reports are that the US already has the successor to the F-35 flying and breaking all sorts of (good) records.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

It's actually a joint project UK, Italy and Japan.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-image-of-new-british-fighter-jet/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

It's actually a joint project UK, Italy and Japan.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/new-image-of-new-british-fighter-jet/

Thanks for the correction, it was early when I wrote the post......and it has been a day since I read it............I live in a very small bowl nowadays.........:crazy:

I expect when the dust settles Thailand is not going to get new F-35's...as in the latest block/model....that is, fresh off the factory floor, no flight hours, etc.  But instead end-up getting one of first blocks/models (i.e., already flying) which will be a U.S. F-35 with many flight hours which will undergo a complete depot overhaul (including engine) and then be sold to Thailand dirt cheap (i.e., like buying a 10-15 year old car that has been completed overhauled but just don't have all the latest whiz-bang options.