kin khao - poll

RabidRenu

Why the negative comments?

I like the way Thais use their language.

To acknowledge someone by saying "where are you going?" or "come and eat with us" has a certain heart warming feeling.

As to the answer to the OP's question, you'll hear it as many times as you encounter people eating or getting ready to eat.

It depends on how it's pronounced.

If it's "kin khaaaow ruue yaaaaaang !?!" then it's meaningless banter such as "what's up?" or "hey, how ya doin?". Ignore it.

If it's "kin khao mai?" then it means "Do you want to eat my knee" = "Are you asking for a knee in the balls/chest?". It's a threat. Back away do not escalate.

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

Why the negative comments?

I like the way Thais use their language.

To acknowledge someone by saying "where are you going?" or "come and eat with us" has a certain heart warming feeling.

As to the answer to the OP's question, you'll hear it as many times as you encounter people eating or getting ready to eat.

Nice, mature and intelligent reply. My post was half in jest, of course I know what it means, just astounded at the amount of times I hear it per day in our house up in the bush and keen to know if others in similar rural extended family settings hear it as often as I do.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

Always thought it was "gin khao" ????

We have four Manāw trees always willing to give up their juice for my Gin habit, it's always a dead giveaway when papa catches me with the big stick picking from high up, and then we have to lock the door...

Most would pronounce it as Gin Khao. It's the common parlance for eating but more polite and farangs interested in using the phrase should use tahn khao in any circumstances other than with close friends. Gin khao is fine for close friends. Nobody will object but you will get brownie points for polite usage.

• Like 2

Much the same as sabai dee mai, a common expression.

Ask a Thai how a word is spelt in the Greco-Roman alphabet, they will probably ask "How do you want me to spell it?" The Thai alphabet is the only accurate rendering.