Uncontested divorce

Jack1988

So a friend of mine and his Thai wife are thinking to divorce. They  both agree to divorce but there's also a divorce agreement to deal with. They have a car which is in his wife's name and he pay monthly, plus a building house in a farm to pay the bank loan, the house is on her dad's name. So he  doesn't has nothing in his name. Could he also sign on the divorce agreement that he doesn't wants nothing and of course he will not pay nothing for his ex wife? Let me know your opinion thanks 

• Haha 1

if none of the loans are in his name then technically he has no obligation to honor the debt. However, if he wants to just rinse his hands of any responsibility of paying his wife's loans that he has been paying all along then things could get messy. The uncontested divorce could quickly turn into a contested divorce and then your friend is in for one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

my advice to him would be to either come to an out of court cash settlement with his wife to at least pay some of her remaining debit, or leave the country in the middle of the night and never look back. contested divorces in Thailand are both costly and nightmarishly difficult to navigate. 

best of luck to your friend.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

if none of the loans are in his name then technically he has no obligation to honor the debt. However, if he wants to just rinse his hands of any responsibility of paying his wife's loans that he has been paying all along then things could get messy. The uncontested divorce could quickly turn into a contested divorce and then your friend is in for one hell of a rollercoaster ride.

my advice to him would be to either come to an out of court cash settlement with his wife to at least pay some of her remaining debit, or leave the country in the middle of the night and never look back. contested divorces in Thailand are both costly and nightmarishly difficult to navigate. 

best of luck to your friend.

He left the country already ???? but his wife could report him for abandonment of the marital home. Didn't you know about that? Lol

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, jvs said:

If he is not coming back to Thailand there is nothing she can do.

Uncontested to me would mean both parties already agreed on something?

If he does not contact her for 3 years she can get a very easy divorce.

They need to talk i think but since he is gone already,end of story.

But,there is more to this,there always is?

they agree to send money to his ex wife, 10,000 a month for 5 years. About the house building, as it was his decision to start to build it

27 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

they agree to send money to his ex wife, 10,000 a month for 5 years. About the house building, as it was his decision to start to build it

So he has not abandoned her,he is just living elsewhere.

I do not see where the problem is,does he want to walk away from the agreement?

If he wants to  stop paying it will be the end of the story.

There is nothing from the Thai side they can do about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jack1988 said:

Seems like throwing good money after bad to me.

For 10kbht/month I'd expect to get laid every 2-3 days.

It was her job to keep him interested in the build, not his fault she didn't.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, luckyblock token said:

I am separated many years from my wife.

I still support her with 7000 per month.

but now I think it is time to make an end to this insanity.

how can I divorce without paying anything.

we do not have any assets together, neither house nor car

and no kids

thanks to all

Take her and both of your Marriage certificates, hers and yours, to the local Amphur where you were married. Sign the backs in the presence of the head honcho and both sign the sheet indication it is an amicable divorce and nothing is wanted by either party except the divorce.  They will take the original marriage certs void them out in the system and issue new certificates indicating you are divorced.

Edited by ThailandRyan

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 10:48 AM, jvs said:

If he is not coming back to Thailand there is nothing she can do.

Uncontested to me would mean both parties already agreed on something?

If he does not contact her for 3 years she can get a very easy divorce.

They need to talk i think but since he is gone already,end of story.

But,there is more to this,there always is?

I am separated more thean 3 years, maybe 8 years, she does not agree for anything.

we do not have kids or any assets together.

I guess she is waiting for my widow pension,  but I know she will bites the dust before me,  how can I get an easy divorce after this long time 

1 minute ago, luckyblock token said:

I am separated more thean 3 years, maybe 8 years, she does not agree for anything.

we do not have kids or any assets together.

I guess she is waiting for my widow pension,  but I know she will bites the dust before me,  how can I get an easy divorce after this long time 

Go to a lawyer,tell him you want to divorce on grounds of being separated for a long time.

You will need to be fully separated,one phone call a month could mean you are still some how together.

If you have been sending her money during that time it is also an indication of still being a couple.

Best if you have not spoken to her for those 8 years and you have no idea where she is.

If she is living with some one else that is also

ground for divorce.

• Thanks 1