which snake is this?

gejohesch

image.thumb.jpeg.08af71fbd03be50f8b561db8056bfb2f.jpeg

My wife and one of her brothers-in-law found it at the back of our garden, hiding in a sack of charcoal. My b-i-l was very fearful and would not approach it. I killed it myself with a machete. In hindsight, I may have over-reacted, but better safe than sorry!

Yes, the King Cobra, will hold it's ground, especially if nesting, as one of the only snakes that hangs around with their eggs.

Malayan pit viper may also hold its ground, and can be a bit aggressive.  The rest, you'll probably see them only as they slither away.  Since you're not food and much larger than them.  

Even the venomous snakes won't waste their venom many times when they strike, if not planning to eat you.  Some valuable stuff they don't waste if not having to.

For those that don't know, as Simon points out, snakes do NOT hear, and feel vibrations, so make your presence known that way.  Cut corners wide so neither you nor snake is spooked, and always allow them an escape route.

If I'm walking on an unclear path or through the brush, I carry a heavy staff, make my presence known, and swat any overhanging brush.  Green pit vipers are almost impossible to see on the branches if not paying attention.

Well camouflaged, same with Russel viper, Malayan viper in dry dusty & leaf ground coverings.  If they feel comfortable with their camouflaged, they may not slither away so fast.  I've had incidents with both.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

There is absolutely no need to kill snakes unless they are a direct threat and that is a very rare situation. Snakes, even venomous ones will leave you alone if you leave them alone. They will only strike if they feel threatened.

So well done @gejohesch on killing a completely harmless (to you) rodent deterrent.

Yeah, I know, I already regret it

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gejohesch said:

Yeah, I know, I already regret it

Depends ... if in 'my yard', or even in the area outside the wall, and I don't know what it is, chances are, it won't end well for the snake.

My dog & wife are more important than an intruder in the yard.  Of course if I know it's non venomous, I'll give it an escape route and shoo it along.

Only 2 entry points to the property, which are sort of snake proof, aside from over the wall or dropping in, though not much of anything overhangs the walls. 

I have seen snakes scale straight up a wall, kind of surprising & amazing.  Nothing is truly snake proof.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/14/2022 at 6:20 AM, KhunLA said:

Depends ... if in 'my yard', or even in the area outside the wall, and I don't know what it is, chances are, it won't end well for the snake.

My dog & wife are more important than an intruder in the yard.  Of course if I know it's non venomous, I'll give it an escape route and shoo it along.

Well, the thing is 1) I do not know about the local snakes; and 2) my wife's brother-in-law who was there was very fearful of the snake, saying "antarai!", so I decided not to take a chance!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gejohesch said:

Well, the thing is 1) I do not know about the local snakes; and 2) my wife's brother-in-law who was there was very fearful of the snake, saying "antarai!", so I decided not to take a chance!

He expressed “Danger”! 
Living near the jungle my garden is always frequented by snakes !

when I mow the lawn I always take the very long brush stick and tap tap around the perimeter and especially the vines !  They love the ope ope ( frogs).When they get a hold of one ,the frogs  gives out a scream which in turn sends the young lady of the house to investigate ! I hate snakes because of the startling affect they have if you happen on them.

On 12/14/2022 at 1:20 PM, KhunLA said:

Only 2 entry points to the property, which are sort of snake proof, aside from over the wall or dropping in, though not much of anything overhangs the walls. 

I have seen snakes scale straight up a wall, kind of surprising & amazing.  Nothing is truly snake proof.

Attempt at anyway:

• Thumbs Up 1