Getting Short Code SMS texts from websites for ID verification from the US while here in Thailand

WaveHunter

As many know, this is a real problem and I've been searching for a solution for over a year now. 

Though this issue has actually gotten less problematic now that more websites are using authenticator apps (which I love!!!) but still some websites still insist on sending text messages with short code 4-digit codes which are useless since they will only send them to US phone numbers. ????

I just found out about one service that has a solution that is very inexpensive but I have reservations since the site itself is very quirky, and there are more than a few negative reviews when you google it.

It's called Anveo (www.anveo.com).  It is similar to Skype but it offers short code SMS capabilities.  Has anyone here used it or heard of it?

This was their news release in 2014 when they added SMS short-code capabilities:

• Short Code SMS is live!  [October 9 2014 10:30 AM EST] We are very excited to become the first VOIP provider in US to offer Short Code support on our US phone numbers. Anveo users can now send and receive messages To/From Short Codes. Support for Short Code SMS allows to receive SMS/Text Messages alerts from Banks and other services which use Short Code for their SMS/Text messages.

Just to be clear, they are just like Skype in that they allow you to buy a US phone number that you can access from anywhere in the world to send and receive voice calls, and unlike Skype, to also send and receive SMS short-code texts.

There was also a positive review written about it that sounds trustworthy but who knows:

https://japanatron.com/blog/japan/general/10344-how-to-receive-sms-passcodes-abroad

Edited by WaveHunter

On 12/17/2022 at 4:18 PM, Mickeymaus said:

Did you look at Google Voice? You get a free phone number. 

Thanks for the suggestion but apparently you can only get one with a USA phone number by being in the USA when you make the request ????

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Thanks for the suggestion but apparently you can only get one with a USA phone number by being in the USA when you make the request ????

https://conxhub.com/

Someone told me this will work anywhere....They said it will will work with all bank call backs too.....I think I will be giving this a try.........I can not 100% recommend this because I have not used this yet....

This one seems much professional but does cost 10 dollars a month...

Edited by redwood1

The problem with most of these remote numbers is the banks seem to have a list of these services and black list these numbers.....

Example....  https://www.dingtone.me   I had to beg one bank I use to let me use this number and another bank just flat out said Nope you cant use this number...Paypal also said No....

31 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

https://conxhub.com/

Someone told me this will work anywhere....They said it will will work with all bank call backs too.....I think I will be giving this a try.........I can not 100% recommend this because I have not used this yet....

I just took a look at the site and it sure does sound like it's worth checking out, so thanks for mentioning it.

I've been searching for a solution for over two years now and been down so many dead-ends.  Right now my best solution has been Skype but it has no SMS capabilities for many site's identity verification SMS's, although it does work when the website allows the option of voice verification (sending the codes verbally).

I  just looked into one called Anveo that I posted about here last week, and although it sounded good at first glance, their whole website is confusing with lots of dead links and they never replied back to my email when I asked for help, so...another dead-end! 

It sure would be nice if Conxhub actually provides a REAL solution but their website forces you to provide your email address just to see their pricing plans and THAT is never a good sign!

Even so, I am still tempted to try it out and see.

On a more promising note, more and more websites are stating to use "authenticator" apps which are an amazingly simple and fool-proof alternative to SMS texting.  It is easy to set up, super fast to use, and so far 100% reliable . 

I use one app that provides ID verification for about 15 websites I connect to regularly and when you ty to log into the website, it just asked for your authenticator code which changes every 60 seconds.  You open the app on your smartphone, look up the website in your list and enter the six digit code, and that's it.  You're logged in in less than 10 seconds!

Unfortunately though, many sites are just sticking with the SMS short codes for now which just plains sucks!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

The problem with most of these remote numbers is the banks seem to have a list of these services and black list these numbers.....

Example....  https://www.dingtone.me   I had to beg one bank I use to let me use this number and another bank just flat out said Nope you cant use this number...Paypal also said No....

Yeah, I've experienced that too.  I use Skype for sites that will give you the option of receiving ID verification code by voice code rather than short-code SMS text, or who do not use short-code, and it worked for a while BUT then all of the sudden one day it no longer worked.

Luckily more and more websites are starting to using "authenticator apps" to replace the use of SMS text codes, and they are WONDERFULLY easy to set up and work like a charm!  Whoever came up with that concept is an absolute genius!

Unfortunately a lot of websites are still clinging to short-code SMS texts, which are just horrible IMO.

Edited by WaveHunter

20 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Yeah, I've experienced that too.  I use Skype for sites that will give you the option of receiving ID verification code by voice code rather than short-code SMS text, or who do not use short-code, and it worked for a while BUT then all of the sudden one day it no longer worked.

Luckily more and more websites are starting to using "authenticator apps" to replace the use of SMS text codes, and they are WONDERFULLY easy to set up and work like a charm!  Whoever came up with that concept is an absolute genius!

Unfortunately a lot of websites are still clinging to short-code SMS texts, which are just horrible IMO.

None of this Text sims nonsense ever needed to happen if they had just left  e-mail verification alone......That was working just fine for me till about 2019.....

29 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

None of this Text sims nonsense ever needed to happen if they had just left  e-mail verification alone......That was working just fine for me till about 2019.....

Yeah I kind of agree.  Of course there are major security issues with email these days.  Leave it the damn hackers and scam artists to make life a living hell for everyone else.  

These new authenticator apps are really an amazing alternative!  I use one called Last Pass that is absolutely amazing!  It's easy to set up and super fast to use, and also provides the best protection you can possibly imagine!  I think they are recognized as one of the premiere providers of these type of apps, and they certainly are when it comes to password manager programs.

I've been using their password manager program for about 5 years and it is also super secure, fast and easy to use, and allows you to create unique and very secure passwords for every website you use.  It even warns you if you accidentally create the same password for two different websites.  Seriously it is just incredible and about the most secure system I've ever seen. 

The Authenticator app is completely free and the password manager app also has a free option or a premium paid option that is around $3 USD per month...and I am not being paid by them to say any of this LOL! 

I mean, I know people that still use a single password for every site they visit which is just plain insane if you value your online safety, ya know.

Anyway, more and more websites are starting to change over to using authenticator apps rather than SMS short codes. 

Right now, all of my banks and credit cards are allowing you to use it as an ID verification option.  So is eBay and Amazon, and some of the social media sites like Facebook and Instagram have also adopted it in part. 

Sadly some websites still cling to this antiquated and unreliable short-code SMS method which is just horrible IMO, so that's why I'm still searching for a way to deal with this BS.

Nonetheless Authenticator apps are the wave of the future and whoever developed this authenticator app concept should receive the Nobel prize hahahaha!!!!!!

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1