Are Thai solar panels any good for home use in LOS?

Hi,

This is an area I know nothing about but I am seeing more and more frequently in home shops and various other stores Solar panels being advertised.

We have our own large detached Bungalow in the North East, (well three actually), and I was wondering if they are worthwhile investing in and do they provide the savings to warrant the purchase?

My family members have them in the UK but they also did a deal where they sold surplus back to the national grid and it worked well for them although the subsidies they initially got in the UK are coming to an end.

I know those things are not possible in Thailand.

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Had mine going for 6 months now.

Cost 50kbht for panels (9) and inverter + 45kbht for batteries.

Electricity bill reduced from 1400bht/month to 250bht/month.

If I live another 89 months it will have been worth it!

But on the plus side, I don't have power cuts any more when it's a bit windy or rains.

An if TEOTWAWKI happens, I'll still have power.

I hope it works well, but much can happen in 89 months. Extra costs for repair when things go broke, might be a set back.

• Haha 1

Don't have expensive Solar panel set up to run all appliances but do have solar lights in every room so if there is a power cut we have full lighting. We cook with gas and have our smartphones so no power now just means no air con , small inconvenience. Cost was a couple of thousand baht.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Denim said:

Don't have expensive Solar panel set up to run all appliances but do have solar lights in every room so if there is a power cut we have full lighting. We cook with gas and have our smartphones so no power now just means no air con , small inconvenience. Cost was a couple of thousand baht.

Panels/systems specific to use seems to be more popular. 

Heard of several people installing panels etc., just to run 1 air conditioner. Batteries charge in the day time, use the batteries for many hours for air-con at night. Whether this is really efficient I don't know.

Son has been establishing an orchard near Tak and doing a lot of research about electric powered farm equipment and panels/systems etc. Seems there now a big variety of electric farm equipment and panels/systems sellers even in more remote Thai locations (and of course can order from China).

2 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

Does the roi shorten if fitting to a new build? Can we save money on the roof by fitting solar at the same time?

ROI would be the same no matter, and based on your use vs cost of system. 

New, quality build, will help your PEA / solar usage, simply by using less kW, especially if you abuse the AC as we do.   Better build, less usage, and have a system for that usage, so overall buy in cost of solar, will offset and better more expensive building materials.

Actually I find the cost of building materials about the same or less at times, than what use to be standard.   Availability has brought down the cost considerably since 20 yrs ago, if even available then.  Insulated block vs cinder or red, is well worth the extra, for exterior walls.  Price close enough our interior walls, few that we have, are also insulated block/K-Q-con, and whatever brand used.

Insulated rolled steel roof (BlueScope) is better, stronger, cheaper than traditional roofs of 20 yrs ago.   And since lighter, not as much steel needed to support it.   Though do consider the extra weight of panels when designing.

Saving while doing both at same time, may be possible, if using same contractor, if possible.  That's a stretch though.  We decided to get solar just after our build started, but not finished enough so make allowances, cut in some space for conduit and leave areas unsealed, to ease solar install.  But that's about it, and really didn't make a lot of difference.  Just cosmetics really.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

ROI would be the same no matter, and based on your use vs cost of system. 

New, quality build, will help your PEA / solar usage, simply by using less kW, especially if you abuse the AC as we do.   Better build, less usage, and have a system for that usage, so overall buy in cost of solar, will offset and better more expensive building materials.

Actually I find the cost of building materials about the same or less at times, than what use to be standard.   Availability has brought down the cost considerably since 20 yrs ago, if even available then.  Insulated block vs cinder or red, is well worth the extra, for exterior walls.  Price close enough our interior walls, few that we have, are also insulated block/K-Q-con, and whatever brand used.

Insulated rolled steel roof (BlueScope) is better, stronger, cheaper than traditional roofs of 20 yrs ago.   And since lighter, not as much steel needed to support it.   Though do consider the extra weight of panels when designing.

Saving while doing both at same time, may be possible, if using same contractor, if possible.  That's a stretch though.  We decided to get solar just after our build started, but not finished enough so make allowances, cut in some space for conduit and leave areas unsealed, to ease solar install.  But that's about it, and really didn't make a lot of difference.  Just cosmetics really.

Do they still have the ~10kW restriction (nominal) on the panels for grid-tied systems? (I'm guessing that's why your system is 10.6kW)

Personally, I think I'd want to get more panels than that, biggish battery, and an EV, and try and be as close to off-grid as possible. But our house in Bangkok was built in the 90s, so I don't think the insulation in the walls is particularly great, all the windows are single-glazed, and some of our aircons are ancient.

Size of the battery would obviously depend on the choice of EV as some do vehicle to load, and some don't.

14 minutes ago, alant said:

Can anyone help with how do they stand up to the rain / winds we can get and how much cleaning from dust / dirt etc?

No issue with weather effects (panels are designed to be outdoors in all weathers), provided your mounting / roof are up to the load.

They do get dusty, ours get the garden hose and pool brush (no soap) when I think they look dirty. To be honest it's difficult to quantify just how much output is lost due to the dirt as the sunshine is also a variable.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

FYI... If I recall correctly, one forum member has been waiting several years for a feedback meter to be installed by his PEA and he's not received a single Baht for what his system has been feeding back to the grid during that period.

Yeah, that would be @Thaifish.

IIRC he got a bit blasé about spinning his meter backwards because he was booked for a proper export meter and his meter-man knew all about it.

Enter the substitute meter reader ... ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

@ThaifishYou must be one of the few members of this forum that actually WANTS a digital meter ???? 

I assume that your battery packs are still on hold / not happening too ???? 

The batteries are also a word to the wise for anyone considering Huawei inverters. Whilst they are generally excellent units, they use a specific high-voltage pack, so 3rd-party / DIY packs are difficult to impossible and genuine Huawei packs are $$$ ???? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

I assume that your battery packs are still on hold / not happening too ???? 

Yes correct. On Hold for the time being. Ended up buying a motorbike. When and if the digital meter happens the excess we are exporting during the dry season should carry us mostly through the high power usage months around Songkran. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2022 at 10:02 AM, alant said:

Can anyone help with how do they stand up to the rain / winds we can get and how much cleaning from dust / dirt etc?

We have them ground mounted now and totally not an issue with rains / winds.

Our main issue is our feather friends (they are not my friends any more ???? )  because they like to sit on the ledges and then use the panels as their toilets. ????

Fortunately as the panels are ground mounted we can clean them easily but it's a task we have to do every other day with a Soft Brush on a long pole and a lot of water.

In the near future ALL the panels will be wall mounted and that will mean going up a ladder to clean them.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/19/2022 at 8:33 PM, scorecard said:

Heard of several people installing panels etc., just to run 1 air conditioner. Batteries charge in the day time, use the batteries for many hours for air-con at night. Whether this is really efficient I don't know.

More a conversion I would have thought.

Whether efficient or to whatever level, one must compare input to output costs.