Samed Island - Sandy Beach alternative

Pmbkk

For many, many years we've been going to Samed - get the first speed-boat over at 8 - on the lounger by 9.
I've read on here the quick access(speedboat direct) to the hotels ( ours was always Samed Villa ) is no longer possible & now you have to go to the pier, and then via the park-entrance to the hotel in a shared taxi - all of which takes time - esp' on the way back which is unpredictable.

As an alternative, I'm looking for a nice SANDY beach on the mainland with a few bars/restaurants. It's just me and the wife.
Lazing on a sun lounger on a sandy beach during the day, having a few drinks and then in the evening getting a bit of dinner

We'll be drving from Pattaya so within an hour of that would be ideal.

I'm looking for somewhere nice to feel the sand between my toes -  not the bustle of Jomtiem with its cramped chairs/beds - more of an Island feel.

In Pattaya we usually stay in Areca Lodge so that's the sort of class of hotel but I'm flexible. A nice beach environment is the main objective.

Any suggestions re area/hotels?

Beaches on the mainland are not as good as Samet beaches. However I would recommend Mae Phim beach which is near Klang. There is another small beach just east of there which is lovely. Mae Phim has lots of restaurants etc. but can get busy with Thais at the weekend or Bank Holidays.

A note on Samet, they probably stopped all the boat from going onto the beaches to ensure the parks authority got the cash, but the good thing is there are no speedboats on the beaches making them quieter and safer.

• Thanks 1

I would still go to Samed Villa as it’s not that hard to get from the pier to the hotel & coming back you just pay 200b for a “private” songthaew.

Failing that Koh Larn has a nice beach & easy to get to from Bali Hai pier.

If you want to stay on the mainland & don’t want to drive too far then Wong Amat beach is nice…  Stay at the Pullman, Centera or Long Beach hotel if you want to be right on the beach or COSI (my personal favourite) if you don’t mind a short walk.

• Thanks 1