Cannabis available - on the Motorway !

TorquayFan

Thailand has a massive problem with road accidents and that's since time immemorial I guess.

Alcohol is therefore strictly controlled, banned in fact, at all retail outlets adjacent to Motorways.

On the rights and wrongs of the recent Govt actions in freeing up the selling of cannabis, I make no comment.

BUT, having observed a large shop proudly selling cannabis at the large services area, travelling south on the H7 Bangkok-Chonburi Expressway, a shop in a prominent location is selling cannabis:-

It's 'GREENHEAD MOTORWAY' - 'SHOP BY GREENHEAD - WE SELL THE BEST CANNABIS' !!!

I am not arguing the sale of alcohol should be allowed in these locations. However it is madly incongruous to make cannabis available at the motorway roadside instead. I shudder to think what may result from this madness.

ALL IMHO

You can ban whatever you like but you will not stop addicts getting their supplies of whatever they ae addicted to.

Do you really think that banning alcohol sales in these locations will prevent an alcoholic getting alcohol, banning sales between 14:00/17:00?, banning sales on some Buddha and election days?

Absolutely not; it is simply an inconvenience to those 'normal' people who might want to buy alcohol. Prohibition simply drives activity underground and, in any event, Mom and Pop shops in the villages (where most of the alkies live) will sell 24 hours a day.

Educate and encourage a change in behaviours .

Greenhead looks like a fairly large operation with some ~ 20 dispensaries across the Kingdom.

I agree that having a dispensary within a tollway service plaza is probably not a good idea long term. The Government licensing authority should have been ultra-cautious in granting a license at this location. This sort of thing will probably be sorted. Is it "madly incongruous", or will it result in general "madness"? No, of course not. 

That said, every dispensary I've visited here, ~ 25-ish, has been situated on a sub-soi, soi, street, road, highway. So I think you face an uphill battle convincing people of the impending "madness".

Edited by bamnutsak

Hot and Ban - the 'madness' I invoked is in the incongruity of banning alcohol in these locations but allowing cannabis.

However as I'm pushed on a point I didn't make, as it happens I agree with alcohol NOT being sold at the side of the Motorway and would say that cannabis should not be sold either.

You surely know well that alcohol and drugs are causal in a high proportion of road accidents. Of course you can't ban these altogether, but to make it easily and casually available on the roadside is plain barmy.

I'm a Brit and as I remember, you can't buy alcohol at Motorway services there either. Or hopefully, cannabis either. And Hot, of course this is right, 'Educate and encourage a change in behaviours".

7 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Hot and Ban - the 'madness' I invoked is in the incongruity of banning alcohol in these locations but allowing cannabis.

However as I'm pushed on a point I didn't make, as it happens I agree with alcohol NOT being sold at the side of the Motorway and would say that cannabis should not be sold either.

You surely know well that alcohol and drugs are causal in a high proportion of road accidents. Of course you can't ban these altogether, but to make it easily and casually available on the roadside is plain barmy.

I'm a Brit and as I remember, you can't buy alcohol at Motorway services there either. Or hopefully, cannabis either. And Hot, of course this is right, 'Educate and encourage a change in behaviours".

Alcohol is a drug!

3 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Rice of course alcohol is a drug. I agree.

Have you read the thread ?

Alcohol is banned at roadside outlets but cannabis is allowed. It's odd.

I was living here when they stopped the gas stations from selling booze. 

You can't idiot proof everything, but drunk driving has a long history.

As the selling cannabis close to schools is regulated, same with booze.

I do see some Karen comments on the "cannabis forum". 

On 12/23/2022 at 8:15 AM, TorquayFan said:

I'm a Brit and as I remember, you can't buy alcohol at Motorway services there either.

..and you might notice here then,???? that 7-Elevens at petrol stations don't sell alcohol.

Edited by VocalNeal

alcohol is banned from roadside shops, as well as the usual time limits....

it's a strange world that cannabis is less restrictive than alcohol at the moment.

the usual 'Buddhist' group that usually has their panties in a bunch crying anytime there's derestriction on alcohol in the discussion is surprisingly quiet on cannabis... some say the anti-alcohol group is in the pocket of Thailand's big beers company and only interested in keeping the status quo