Petchabun Camping?

Batty

Just wondered if anyone has experience camping on Phu Ta Buerk mountain, in Petch? Me and a mate are heading there from Udon Thani, 3 nights camping with our own tents and gear. I have been there a couple times, but never camped.

There is just one thing that bothers me a bit. Looking at photos of camp sites online, all the pitches seem to be a bit shabby? I cant see any camping areas in half decent surroundings - it all seems to be small camp areas, usualy within the grounds of a tiny 10 bungalow resort. Obviously resort owners are trying to squeeze every bit of revenue from the property footprints and have designated 1 or 2 rai of land for camping, but it doesnt look ideal to me. All the tents seem crammed together in perfectly neat rows, in order to rinse every last baht out it, and one or two 'resorts' even throw camping spots around the edge of car parks. You can lean out and touch the tent next to you. 

Truth be told i did think it was a bit shabby last time i went there. Lots of cheap bungalows and cabins with strange coloured roofs thrown up and making the place look a bit of an eyesore if you ask me.

We are going there because its the highest spot within a few hours drive of Udon. Also we are are not expert campers (essentials only) and so its handy having a few amenaties around for snacks, showers, go for a stroll and stuff. In that sense it is perfect up there - but the camping areas do not seem that great.

Or am I wrong? Are there non-private camping spots or local authority camping areas anywhere up there?

Thanks in advance - and hey im not slating the place, i think i make a fair point. Its a beautiful area but that particular part of it has been mollested a bit by resort owners cashing in. I cant blame them - I would do the same if I owned land there - just stating a fact so please dont have a go at me, im not Thai bashing ????

Any other suggestions for 'high up' camping spots around Loei, Phitsanaluk, or Petch?

Edited by Batty

On 12/26/2022 at 1:43 PM, Andyfez said:

I agree. Went there recently, lovely view, but many many resorts and cramped shabby areas. Not much that's very smart.

I live in Phetchabun ..go camping most weekends in fact went camping over Christmas ..did a walk to tat mok waterfall on Christmas day ..there are hundreds of camping sites around this way   go on google look at Khao kho..happy camping 

13 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

I live in Phetchabun ..go camping most weekends in fact went camping over Christmas ..did a walk to tat mok waterfall on Christmas day ..there are hundreds of camping sites around this way   go on google look at Khao kho..happy camping 

Thanks mate. I have been looking on Google, but I'm struggling. If you Google camp sites in that area, everything that comes up is just some BS "glamping" resort that charges silly money.

I just want to find a spot where there is space and facilities close by. It would be nice to have other campers in the area, but spaced out and not rammed together like tinned sardines.

If you know a good spot it would be appreciated. Defo prefer PTB because it's a good 700 meters higher than KK, and I embrace the cold - PTB will be a good 4 or 5 degrees cooler than KK.

I'm worried that we will get to PTB after a long drive and see nothing but cramped 'car park' style camping spots you know what I mean?