Cremated remains (ashes) to the USA

Dan747

A friend of mine just passed here in Ubon and his wife has asked me to carry his remains back to the USA. I am planning on leaving in March 2023 and will check with the Airlines ANA and United Airlines. My route of flight will be ANA to Narita (NRT), United Airlines to San Fran (SFO) direct to Orlando (MCO). Wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me of their hiccups or problems on the way to the USA. Will hand carry, not check baggage. Thank you in Advance.

I have done it. No problems whatsoever but recommend the ashes be in a non-metallic  container. The ones I brought were in a wooden box specifically meant for air tavel. 

And I think (not positive, it's been many years) I put it in checked luggage not carry one.

If in a metal container and carry-on will likely be flagged and questioned at security. Causing possibly long delays.

• Like 2

Definitely have to hand carry. What we did was we actually went to the embassy in thailand to get a letter too. Details of deceased must be provided with the thai death certificate. Definitely no issues with the airlines if declared properly

Edited by TheJoker999
  • Like 1

I took a friend's remains to the UK.

Went as checked-in luggage rather than carry on.

No problem leaving Thailand and did not declare anything.

Same with arrival - went through x-ray machine but nothing flagged.

Did not take any documentation or embassy letters.

• Like 1