Land name change

My wife’s family have some land they say they would like for us to develope. 5 rai cut out of 22, now I have said if they can put the land into my sons name Who is a Thai National I would be happy to build the house. However we seem have problems doing this, the issue now is that if the land is transferred from my wife’s mother to her grand son it will be at 3% amounting to 23000 B but if transferred to her daughter it would be at 1% 6000 B so they have put the land into my wife’s name, making Iraqi see it A very risky business. Could anybody tell me if the is correct to transfer to grand son it is more expensive than to transfer to daughter.

thank for any advice 

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You posted that it has already been done?   Are you now going to transfer it to your son for another fee or you're just checking the honesty of your wife?   How does the "Iraqi" come into it?

Sorry didn’t see the typo “Iraqi” yes been done land is now in her name and is now saying she is not happy to put it in my her sons name as she would have nothing. Her words, her father has some 100 Rai of land and she has claim to my house UK so she will be well off

9 minutes ago, Merrill said:
22 minutes ago, jvs said:

Why would it be risky to put in your wife's name?

Well if we fell out I would have little claim  to my investment as I have seen in the past in Thailand. I would be out on my ear 

If the land was in your son's name you wouldn't have any claim to it either if you "fell out".   If she wanted you out on your ear, out on your ear you'd be, either way.

10 minutes ago, Merrill said:

land is now in her name and is now saying she is not happy to put it in my her sons name as she would have nothing. Her words,

I doubt that she'll ever forget your indicating that you do not trust her.  Well done!  The transfer fee is 2%, doesn't matter who it is being transferred to.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I doubt that she'll ever forget your indicating that you do not trust her.  Well done!

The problem is that when they need money they mortgage the land to the Bank or use it as bail bond this would apply to the land in her name if her father needed money. So that would  be the land I have sold my house in the UK  to develop. If it was in my sons name it could not be used in this way

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

I don't see the issue of paying 17K more to get 5 rai for free for your son.

I too no problem at all it was my wife’s idea to pay less said it was too much  and opted for the cheap option, I sad pay it I had no issues it was the wife and her mother’s idea

39 minutes ago, Merrill said:

The problem is that when they need money they mortgage the land to the Bank or use it as bail bond this would apply to the land in her name if her father needed money. So that would  be the land I have sold my house in the UK  to develop. If it was in my sons name it could not be used in this way

That would depend on how old your son is.

19 hours ago, Merrill said:

But the land is already in her name when you gave her the proceeds of your UK property even though she would not have it registered in her son's name.  Too late for those concerns now

On 12/27/2022 at 2:29 PM, Merrill said:

Sorry didn’t see the typo “Iraqi” yes been done land is now in her name and is now saying she is not happy to put it in my her sons name as she would have nothing. Her words, her father has some 100 Rai of land and she has claim to my house UK so she will be well off

Your wife says she would have nothing if the land is transferred in your/her sons name?

This sounds like a major red flag, and she is definitely thinking about breaking up with you, why else would it matter if the land is in her or your/her sons name?

I wouldn't invest anything unless the land is in your son's name.

On 12/28/2022 at 5:15 PM, FriendlyFarang said:

Your wife says she would have nothing if the land is transferred in your/her sons name?

This sounds like a major red flag, and she is definitely thinking about breaking up with you, why else would it matter if the land is in her or your/her sons name?

I wouldn't invest anything unless the land is in your son's name.

I think more to do with he family influence they certainly have more money than I yet my wife he’ll bent on spending all we have on supporting them not to mention the brother, I could write book on what incompetent I have   endured these last few weeks.  If only we could keep him off the booze all day and driving a out of the box Ranger <deleted> as a  coot and on the phone at the same time. A warning to other drivers out there. Last time I was here he had an affair upsetting the whole family yet not his fault they said it could have been caused by the after shave I brought him back from the UK. LOL Every day an eye opener. So yes very apprehensive about the land given to the wife especially when we opted tofill 20 meter and after a night of Chang I was told I had to fill in 30 meters on my wife’s land and do the same fill at my expense on there land at the same time. Heads up