Is Covid going or it it just Arriving

ourdon

Recent data from Italy back up the assessment that China's daily Covid count might be closer to 1 million. Citing the Italian Ministry of Health, American news outlet Bloomberg noted roughly 50% of Chinese travelers entering Italy were testing positive for Covid-19.

This is what the authorities are welcoming???

I'm not promoting a view on pro or anti vaxxing.  I'm just concerned for the millions of Thai people that put their faith in their government and got Sinovax vaccines.

Edited by ourdon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ourdon said:

I'm not promoting a view on pro or anti vaxxing.  I'm just concerned for the millions of Thai people that put their faith in their government and got Sinovax vaccines.

They may have started with Sinovac, but the current figures for vaccine doses administered are:

• Astra Zeneca 49 million
  • Pfizer 48 million
  • Sinovac 27 million
  • Sinopharm 15 million
  • Moderna 7 million

80% of the population have had two jabs, 40% have had three, 10% have had four. 

https://dashboard-vaccine.moph.go.th/dashboard.html

Sinovac and Sinopharm aren't totally ineffective, they're better than no vaccine but not as good at keeping you out of hospital or the morgue as other vaccines. But none confer immunity, I've had four jabs (2x AZ, 1x Moderna, 1x Pfizer) but I still caught Covid last month after a trip to Malaysia.

To answer your question, Covid is neither coming nor going, it's here to stay.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

Maybe you won't even notice . Many countries stopped testing and hospital numbers only see small rises or falls with another wave . Yes new variants , but by far most people had minimum 1 infection , most prob had 2-3 but didn't even know they had . Im pretty sure when i was in Thailand , GF had it, and some other family members . It was not tested but according to the symptoms ,it was pretty clear. I had nothing, not even felt weak for a single day. Chinese people got no immunity yet , 1 city started it but after it was kept under super strong control . Now it is loose and millions are sick at the same time , prob resulting in some new variants, hopefully not stronger but that is difficult to say . For outside China it is a different story. 

41 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I've had four jabs (2x AZ, 1x Moderna, 1x Pfizer) but I still caught Covid last month after a trip to Malaysia.

Same here.  4Pfizer and caught Covid last spring.  It was pretty easy going though and I just self isolated till it cleared up.  I gather Faucci was correct, it does not confer immunity but helps to keep you out of the morgue.

7 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Covid comes and goes. Only the Chinese were stupid enough to think that you can keep C out. The rest of the world was stupid but could find some common sense.

Xi is just suffering from a classic education ... He thinks he is King Canute

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

That 50% figure is very unsettling... not to disparage anyone, but I hope to see strict testing measures for all new arrivals or better still before their departures.. planes would seem to me to be a petri dish... 

That 50% figure was my guesstimate before i read it here. 

Chinese government sources last week talked of 250m infected,  that's 1/6 of population,  rising fast.

The infected are in the cities,  it's not yet in the countryside.  People from the cities are the ones who travel abroad. 

So 50% sounds reasonable. 

49 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

The rest of the world was stupid but could find some common sense.

Or they wisely waited until at the least the vaccine rolled out and the disease became less lethal.

There was no "We thought lockdowns helped but now we realised they don't", because they definitely did.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Covid is going to be with us for years in the future. New variants will continue to arise, and it is possible some will be virulent. Other than Delta, the world has been lucky that most variants were more mild than the original.

The vaccines wear off over time. Because these vaccines are new, it takes real time data to get the answer.

Similarly, it takes collection of real time data to know the effects of Long Covid. There is an ailment called POTS that has been affecting young people who had caught Covid. It involves a fluid buildup around the heart, and can be fatal.

Most viruses have long term effects, but Covid is unique in that it was so widespread, so the number of people affected by residual Covid effects will be large. Early evidence notes some of these effects involve everything from heart problems to energy levels to dementia and brain changes. With time we'll learn what percentage of people are so affected and if there is any correlation with underlying conditions, or if it is just the way the virus reacts with some individuals gene pool.

Authorities would be well advised to be vigilant, as the emergence of a virulent new variant always remains a possibility, and the more people infected means more opportunities for mutations.

The danger from the China re-opening, especially during Lunar New Year, is that as a % Chinese seem to be infected to a greater degree than most other nations, and they will be hitting countries just as vaccines are wearing off in many people.

Let us hope we can avoid new lockdowns. Businesses cannot handle that.

38 minutes ago, ourdon said:

Same here.  4Pfizer and caught Covid last spring.  It was pretty easy going though and I just self isolated till it cleared up.  I gather Faucci was correct, it does not confer immunity but helps to keep you out of the morgue.

Xi is just suffering from a classic education ... He thinks he is King Canute

Sorry, but the constant misinterpretation of Canutes game with the tide really has to stop:

https://www.medievalists.net/2015/05/the-changing-story-of-<deleted>-and-the-waves/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ourdon said:

I gather Faucci was correct, it does not confer immunity but helps to keep you out of the morgue.

Hasn't that been the case pretty much all along with the vaccine?  I'm mystified as to why you would single out Faucci when saying something that is common knowledge.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peter zwart said:

Covid comes and goes. Only the Chinese were stupid enough to think that you can keep C out. The rest of the world was stupid but could find some common sense.

New Zealand was also stupid enough to think that it could keep Covid out - it had its own formal Zero Covid policy. Australia, too, did the same thing without specifically calling it Zero Covid.

In my estimation, the rest of the world was indeed stupid, but I have yet to see any indications of common sense. Giving up Covid restrictions was marked by the same panic as the original decisions that imposed them in the first place.

China has gone from welding people in their apartments to almost no restrictions in about a month. Austria did something similar earlier this year. The facts on the ground hadn't changed, but the policies were completely changed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Stocky said:

They may have started with Sinovac, but the current figures for vaccine doses administered are:

• Astra Zeneca 49 million
  • Pfizer 48 million
  • Sinovac 27 million
  • Sinopharm 15 million
  • Moderna 7 million

80% of the population have had two jabs, 40% have had three, 10% have had four. 

Stocky,

I can see where the figures come from and are pleased that over 100 million Thais' have been given some modicum  of protection. 

I'm still concerned for everyone here when travel opens up for 1 billion, 412 million tourists with only the Sino  twins for vaccines and a great desire to be first in the buffet line.

They can overwhelm the Thai medical system in a few days.. 

I think the whole world is giving maximum attention to this issue.  It looks like every country is putting up restrictions

Edited by ourdon

15 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

New Zealand was also stupid enough to think that it could keep Covid out - it had its own formal Zero Covid policy. Australia, too, did the same thing without specifically calling it Zero Covid.

In my estimation, the rest of the world was indeed stupid, but I have yet to see any indications of common sense. Giving up Covid restrictions was marked by the same panic as the original decisions that imposed them in the first place.

China has gone from welding people in their apartments to almost no restrictions in about a month. Austria did something similar earlier this year. The facts on the ground hadn't changed, but the policies were completely changed.

Reall? The facts on the ground hadn't changed? Aren't you neglecting a little something called vaccinations in Australia and New Zealand?

Edited by placeholder

16 hours ago, ourdon said:

I can see where the figures come from and are pleased that over 100 million Thais' have been given some modicum  of protection. 

The population of Thailand is only 70 million, of which 86%, 60 million, have had at least 1 dose of vaccine, and 80%, 56 million, 2 doses. 

The concern with Chinese tourists is the lack of transparency on the part of the Chinese government regarding infection rates, similarly the seeming absence of any sequencing of the virus to monitor for new variants.

For Thailand to blithely accept any number of Chinese tourists with little or no Covid checks is both foolhardy and short sighted. They'll be far less sanguine should some new variant appear in Thailand and then Thailand finds itself subject to Covid travel restrictions as a result.