New Android TV, what now.

Neeranam

20 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What's the best box to buy to get many channels? 

Channels are not box dependent, any box can access channels, The limitation initiates from the content provider and what channels they offer. 

But if you are interested in the top android streaming box, then you should consider Formuler. They have distribution in Thailand.

https://www.formuler.tv/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

How (which software) were you getting your 100 channels?

I made the mistake of buying an Android TV, I assumed (bad move) that it would be like a 50" smart-phone.

Wrong.

Next time, dumb TV and Android box or ChromeCast and cast from my phone which just works.

I rent a house and i think it had True. 

The workmen came and said they had taken away the bo months ago but I was still getting chineses channels all the Thai channels, fox news, Fraance 24, RT, Alzazeera. On the night of the World cup final, or maybe the night before there was a storm and there hasn't been a connection again, despite the workmen going on the roof to investigate. Bit of a mystery. 

Got a new 55" Smart TV. 

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I have had several Android boxes ,but did not like them , now just connect

a mini pc, Win 10  to tv , have maybe 50 sites on the speed dial in my browser,

have all the movies , series ,news , documentaries , everything but live sports, 

I could find some if I looked , but can view next day , which is good enough for me.

regards worgeordie

It would be nice to get news channels, and even British soaps like Corrie! 

Does your TV support ChromeCast - let us know which make and model you have?

A decent VPN on a reasonably powerful Android Box (or cast from your phone if the TV can do it) should get you all the free-to-air UK channels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Does your TV support ChromeCast - let us know which make and model you have?

A decent VPN on a reasonably powerful Android Box (or cast from your phone if the TV can do it) should get you all the free-to-air UK channels.

Samsung รุ่น 55AU7700 Smart TV 4K UHD ขนาด 55 นิ้ว

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

haven't figured it out yet, but I think I can stream from phone to TV

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

have all the movies , series ,news , documentaries , everything but live sports, 

I could find some if I looked , but can view next day , which is good enough for me.

regards worgeordie

what kind of sites, do you mean Netflix, Disney PLus etc? do you have to pay?

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

But you need a VPN to get UK TV, which I have a NUC & Express, and yes, it is by far the best way to go.

A Fire TV stick is my second choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I rent a house and i think it had True. 

The workmen came and said they had taken away the bo months ago but I was still getting chineses channels all the Thai channels, fox news, Fraance 24, RT, Alzazeera. On the night of the World cup final, or maybe the night before there was a storm and there hasn't been a connection again, despite the workmen going on the roof to investigate. Bit of a mystery. 

Got a new 55" Smart TV. 

And what can you get on that, especially if it is Samsung. You Tube and that's about all.

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Samsung รุ่น 55AU7700 Smart TV 4K UHD ขนาด 55 นิ้ว

I think this is the same one i have. You can cast from your phone or tablet to the TV, easier if they are Samsung if not should still be able to. Can also control YouTube from phone if you prefer. Load some TV apps. No need for a box

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

How (which software) were you getting your 100 channels?

I made the mistake of buying an Android TV, I assumed (bad move) that it would be like a 50" smart-phone.

Wrong.

Next time, dumb TV and Android box or ChromeCast and cast from my phone which just works.

I agree, I've been avoiding a smart tv for years instead using a Box, bought one and it's really dumb especially to set up 

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I agree, I've been avoiding a smart tv for years instead using a Box, bought one and it's really dumb especially to set up 

Ages ago, I bought a Samsung "smart" TV, I never really used the smarts, I struggled to even get the beast to stream from my network drive.

More recently I bought a Sharp Android TV. I was hoping that I could run a VPN and BBC iPlayer on the TV. Sadly, even side-loaded I couldn't get iPlayer to work reliably.

Luckily it has a built-in ChromeCast so I can cast from my tablet, still no BBC unless I use the VPN function on my router (so everything goes via the VPN). I'm currently watching Sky Sports Cricket (Pakistan - NZ Test), via one of the (not free) IPTV sites out of China.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I do like the Worgeordie solution, plug a mini-PC (or your desktop/lappie) into an HDMI input and run the TV as a second monitor.

Won't that limit the display resolution on the 4K TV to the video resolution provided by the graphics card in your PC/laptop?

AFAIK most computers have video cards that have (at best) an output resolution of 1080p or full HD.

At least with an Android box you can enable video (and audio) passthrough so if your source media file is 4K then that is what will display on your 4K TV.

With some higher end Android boxes you can specify your monitor resolution as 4K.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 5:29 PM, Neeranam said:

What's the best box to buy to get many channels? 

Why not try using Live NetTV on your phone first with a view to getting an Android box and using Live NetTV (and other apps) later.

It will give you a free taste of what is available out there.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Ages ago, I bought a Samsung "smart" TV, I never really used the smarts, I struggled to even get the beast to stream from my network drive.

More recently I bought a Sharp Android TV. I was hoping that I could run a VPN and BBC iPlayer on the TV. Sadly, even side-loaded I couldn't get iPlayer to work reliably.

Luckily it has a built-in ChromeCast so I can cast from my tablet, still no BBC unless I use the VPN function on my router (so everything goes via the VPN). I'm currently watching Sky Sports Cricket (Pakistan - NZ Test), via one of the (not free) IPTV sites out of China.

Just checked the VIPBox.LC is showing the test match live and free.

Good buy for Android box  TX6, as low as 850 baht on Lazada.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

What mini-pc do you have Worgeorgie? I was looking at the Geekom  Miniair 11.

I have several , it's a bit of a hobby, Gigabyte , Larkbox, Zotac ,Beelink , looked

at the Geekcom miniair 11 on Aliexpress , good price ,and good specs , windows 11 pro

already installed , 

regards worgeordie

• Thanks 1