Sukothai Hist. Park lit up Saturday Nights till 9 pm?

henrik2000

Hello, i read contradicting info on Sukothai Historical Park:

- it's lit up EACH Saturday of the year and open till 9 pm

- it's only lit up on special occasions (not this month) and closes at 5.30 pm each day

I know there is/was special light at Loy Krathong and for the celebrations in July 2022. But right now? Do you have definite info about it?

For that matter, if you know of other remarkable events this week or next week, i'd be interested. Carabao are touring N Thailand these days, maybe they play at the temples? Would be very fitting for some of their songs.

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I live in Muang Kao what do you want to know.

I'd certainly be interested in Thai style live music, but only styles for oldies:

Luukthung/morlam

pleua-chiwit (Carabao, songs for life)

Not hip places with millennial music or folk songs.

I might even trek to Pizzanoluck for live music (have car). 8 years ago I visited the Tawan Daeng there and was underwhelmed.

Chopper Bar in New Sukothai is said to have live music - don't know which styles, days and quality?

13 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

I'd certainly be interested in Thai style live music, but only styles for oldies:

Luukthung/morlam

pleua-chiwit (Carabao, songs for life)

Not hip places with millennial music or folk songs.

I might even trek to Pizzanoluck for live music (have car). 8 years ago I visited the Tawan Daeng there and was underwhelmed.

Chopper Bar in New Sukothai is said to have live music - don't know which styles, days and quality?

Well 8 years ago and now not same, covid messed up a lot events and lot of places still shut. 

Muang Kao is still relatively quiet in the daytime and evenings.

It is very busy around the Historical park area during this holiday period as always.

Weekends at the park can be busy sometimes as well all year round. 

No parties on a big scale anymore like there use to be only people's private parties. 

There's a market in the park at night until about 9pm. 

I would have to find out when park stays open at night and puts lights on around the main temple areas. 

It was every Friday and Saturday evenings.

As a rule Muang Kao ( Old Sukhothai ) and the park are all shut down at 9pm and the only activity is around the two 7-11 shops. 

New Sukhothai has new beer and snacks places built and live music but the music mainly caters for the young. 

There are many restaurant places open and scattered about the city. 

Our recent visits to Chopper bar showed it not to be busy at all, Friday and Saturdays seem to be the only busy times they still have a one man band live music sometimes but play western music over speakers mostly.

There's the Heart Lake area that use to have concerts, again I would have to ask somebody.

You mentioned Phitsanulok that is a much bigger city which has numerous places to go. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well 8 years ago and now not same, covid messed up a lot events and lot of places still shut. 

Muang Kao is still relatively quiet in the daytime and evenings.

It is very busy around the Historical park area during this holiday period as always.

Weekends at the park can be busy sometimes as well all year round. 

No parties on a big scale anymore like there use to be only people's private parties. 

There's a market in the park at night until about 9pm. 

I would have to find out when park stays open at night and puts lights on around the main temple areas. 

It was every Friday and Saturday evenings.

As a rule Muang Kao ( Old Sukhothai ) and the park are all shut down at 9pm and the only activity is around the two 7-11 shops. 

New Sukhothai has new beer and snacks places built and live music but the music mainly caters for the young. 

There are many restaurant places open and scattered about the city. 

Our recent visits to Chopper bar showed it not to be busy at all, Friday and Saturdays seem to be the only busy times they still have a one man band live music sometimes but play western music over speakers mostly.

There's the Heart Lake area that use to have concerts, again I would have to ask somebody.

You mentioned Phitsanulok that is a much bigger city which has numerous places to go. 

Thanks for good info!

What I still need is a car wash, for inside + outside, that sticks to the times it promised, to return the rental in decent shape. Of course they are on GMaps. If you have personal good experience (New Sukothai), I'd be interested.

Also thanks for mentioning a one-man band and canned western music in the chopper bar. Both are not interesting, but maybe the bar should be visited anyway, if not for the music.

37 minutes ago, henrik2000 said:

Thanks for good info!

What I still need is a car wash, for inside + outside, that sticks to the times it promised, to return the rental in decent shape. Of course they are on GMaps. If you have personal good experience (New Sukothai), I'd be interested.

Also thanks for mentioning a one-man band and canned western music in the chopper bar. Both are not interesting, but maybe the bar should be visited anyway, if not for the music.

The best car cleaning place we use is in Baan Na just before Muang Kao post office coming from New Sukhothai.

They will collect and deliver back if your locally situated. 

There are serveral car clean places in New Sukhothai you only have to ask where. 

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The best car cleaning place we use is in Baan Na just before Muang Kao post office coming from New Sukhothai.

There are serveral car clean places in New Sukhothai you only have to ask where. 

Thanks!

Hello, in case you're interested, at least for this Saturday, Jan 7, it seems that Sukothai Historical Park is open till 8:00 p.m. and that in the evening there is a market, but no light show. 

At the Historical Park's ticket center I first talked to a man behind the sign "Information". He seemed to speak neither Thai nor English, just pointed to one or other leaflets.  The actual ticket vendor lady was much more lively and with our combined languages the above mentioned schedule was confirmed. 

No light show, but a market. How creative, how interesting ching-ching. 

6 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, in case you're interested, at least for this Saturday, Jan 7, it seems that Sukothai Historical Park is open till 8:00 p.m. and that in the evening there is a market, but no light show. 

At the Historical Park's ticket center I first talked to a man behind the sign "Information". He seemed to speak neither Thai nor English, just pointed to one or other leaflets.  The actual ticket vendor lady was much more lively and with our combined languages the above mentioned schedule was confirmed. 

No light show, but a market. How creative, how interesting ching-ching. 

The Light show is a visiting company that come to the park at Loy Kratong.

Putting the lights on around the main temple area use to be done on Friday and Saturday evenings, the road leading off left from the main park entrance goes down and round to the right leading to café restaurants and gift shops, from there you can see whether that part of the park is lite up.

On 1/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, Kwasaki said:

Yes. I checked Retro 90s and Space Bar, both on the entertainment strip and with heavy-handed pop-rock live music that the millenials seem to prefer.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Yes. I checked Retro 90s and Space Bar, both on the entertainment strip and with heavy-handed pop-rock live music that the millenials seem to prefer.

I like Retro 90's,  there other places about further a field. 

On 1/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, Kwasaki said:

For the record, I also found a glorious car wash in New Sukothai that was extremely service minded, including delivery of tourist and car and fixing scratches and offering alternatives here and there. Serviceable English spoken by one office lady, also by Line.

When I dropped the car at the car rental place later, they said, "oh the car is beautiful, no problem at all". And indeed I think after that car wash in New Sukothai, it looked better than on day 1.

I first went to another car wash, the one next to my hotel. That was very rude and they kind of chased me back out. Luckily they did, because I ended up with the nice car wash. I can't really judge the quality of their cleaning, but anyway everything went very well.

Edited by henrik2000
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

For the record, I also found a glorious car wash in New Sukothai that was extremely service minded, including delivery of tourist and car and fixing scratches and offering alternatives here and there. Serviceable English spoken by one office lady, also by Line.

When I dropped the car at the car rental place later, they said, "oh the car is beautiful, no problem at all". And indeed I think after that car wash in New Sukothai, it looked better than on day 1.

I first went to another car wash, the one next to my hotel. That was very rude and they kind of chased me back out. Luckily they did, because I ended up with the nice car wash. I can't really judge the quality of their cleaning, but anyway everything went very well.

Like anywhere else in the world horse's for courses.