Currys UK blocked from Thailand

damole

I just wanted to check the UK price of something and found currys.co.uk is blocked from Thailand or at least from 3BB fibre and DTAC.

currys.uk-blocked_ip_thai.png.f7f3cf4bc7be7fb5b84bd5127ea711de.png

Last month I was in India and aseasnow.com was blocking my IP address.  Blocking whole countries seems counter productive as people without VPNs might still want to shop whilst they are on holiday for example.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, damole said:

I just wanted to check the UK price of something and found currys.co.uk is blocked from Thailand or at least from 3BB fibre and DTAC.

It's geo-blocked in the UK.  Easy enough to do if currys.co.uk only want's to deal with customers in the UK.  Some organizations choose not to want Internet traffic from certain regions of the globe or certain third-world countries. 

Use a VPN.  It's accessible in a commonwealth country near you.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

"Blocking whole countries seems counter productive as people without VPNs might still want to shop whilst they are on holiday for example."

It's absolutely productive, otherwise they wouldn't do it. Should they have to endure countless amounts of fraudulent or disruptive behavior originating from a specific country just because a handful of legitimate websites visitors can't be bothered to use a VPN?

The world doesn't revolve around you.

https://www.currys.co.uk/techtalk/computing/connectivity/how-to-use-a-vpn-virtual-private-network.html

From the above:

"You can access content available in other countries. Fancy seeing the different types of content that your favourite TV and movie streaming service offers overseas? Well, with a VPN you might just be able to do this. Because your location is hidden, you can get around geographic restrictions to stream content from around the world."

4 hours ago, damole said:

Last month I was in India and aseasnow.com was blocking my IP address.

This is because AN used to get constantly hit by spammers using Indian IP addresses, whilst getting almost zero legitimate users from India.

• Like 1

Cloudflare is notorious for indiscriminate blocking website access. Personally I use 3 different browsers to access the net, depending on the site I access. I believe cloudflare has minimum browser characteristics that need to be met before they allow access. Changing browsers will fix this issue. Try the current version of chrome and you should be ok.

I orignally started the thread as a minor grumble about accessing a website without using a VPN and I've been using one for almost 15 years.  I know that companies have their reasons to want to block traffic from troublesome IPs though it's interesting how other retailers in the UK like Argos are not blocking Thailand but Currys are.

Yesterday I had to buy new insurance for my house in London if all the sites blocked Thailand which none of them did and If I hadn't known that one of the uses of a VPN was to get around that then it would have made things difficult.

As most companies are not using geo-blocking it would be interesting to know what causes some to implment it.

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-block-visitors-from-a-country-using-htaccess/

https://searchengineland.com/should-you-ban-a-country-from-visiting-your-website-71667