Pumpuiman Invades Thai Kichen

pumpuiman

I've just been invited to learn Thai cooking in a friends restaurant. I had remarked about my interest in learning, and as she is currently training another cook her particular menu, she offered to teach me as well!!

I'm really looking forward to this. :o

I will unfortunately be learning the "farang" versions of recipes, as it's a U.S. restaurant, but I'm sure the basis for the real deal is there.

The other chef in training was a chef in Bangkok for many years, I'm hoping to learn lots from him.

I can't wait....I feel like a kid on his first day of school :D

I'll keep anyone interested informed of my progress.......leave a post here if you'd like updates.....if nobody does, I understand, some may find this news boring.....But I couldn't contain myself!!

Gastronomically titillated,

Eric

Edited by pumpuiman

Alright...my first day.

I had an abbreviated class today, as We both had some prior commitments....the real work starts tomorrow.

Today was just a familiarization with the operation. How food is stored, what goes where etc.

I did get to learn one recipe....something I've been missing from Thailand, I used to have this at least three times a week at my favorite seafood restaurant in Pratunam. This is not dumbed down for farang....but the genuine article.

Hoi Pad Nam Prik Pao (stir fried clams with roasted chili paste):

Start with a smokin hot wok (the restaurant stove is like a blast furnace...no kidding)

Add a few tablespoons of oil.

Add one Tbsp chopped garlic.

Quickly now, before the garlic browns...

Add chopped chili peppers (about twenty to twenty five prik kee noo)

Immediately followed by about half a julienned green bell pepper, half a red bell pepper and half an onion.

Stir about 10 seconds and add clams... about 4 pounds...or 2 kilos .....we used a local "little neck" clam...."hoi lai" (striped clams) is the preference in Thailand. Mussels are great for this dish too.

When clams open, add about three Tbsp Nam prik pao...(roasted chili paste)

stir to incorporate.

add about 5 Tbsp oyster sauce and a couple of handfuls of fresh "bai horapa" (Thai anise basil)

Remove from wok to serving dish.

Serve with white rice.

This served 5 people.

The sauce produced by the natural juices of the clams, mixed with the chili paste, oyster sauce and garlic is fantastic over rice....or sucked right out of the shells.

The basil is a must....it is a defining end note to this symphony of flavors.

We (myself and Thai staff) had this for our dinner......Only a small percentage of farang could have withstood the heat from all those chilies......adjust to your pallet.

The addition of red and green bell pepper, and onion are optional.....I've never seen it done in Thailand.....But was a nice addition to have with your rice.

Well thats all for today.....more adventures to follow.

Please feel free to make any suggestions or comments, I'm open to anything.

Eric :o

Day two:

Mostly prep work today.....and I ran errands and fixed some things around the restaurant.

Two new recipes though.

This recipe and the next recipe incorporate a filling made from the following....

(Forgive me for not listing precise amounts, we made a literal mountain of this stuff.)

Thinly sliced cabbage, shredded carrots, sliced shitake mushrooms, shredded celery, and a thin soy noodle. about 75% cabbage 25% combination of the rest.

All is placed in a wok and stir fried with soy sauce, vinegar and a little sugar....until wilted and very soft. Then allowed to cool.

Firecracker shrimp:

Marinate some large peeled shrimp (leave tails on) in soy sauce, ginger and black pepper...for a few hours...Don't drown them, just a light coating of soy sauce and spices.

Prepare a mixture of corn starch and water...heated lightly on stove the allowed to cool....this will act as a glue when wrapping your shrimp.

Cut a spring roll wrapper diagonally in half, so you end up with two triangles. The triangles are longer than they are high.....place the long end facing you,with the short point to your left, on a board or counter top.

Place a peeled shrimp on the wrapper,tail to your right, so that when rolled up....the tail will protrude from the end....making a decorative "handle".

Put a few pickled ginger slices on top of the shrimp, then about a tablespoon of the cabbage mixture.

Roll wrapper around making sure to tuck the end to your left over the "top of the shrimp" (opposite the tail end) to prevent the mixture escaping.

Roll tightly, making sure to rub some corn starch mixture on the last bit....to glue down the end.

Deep fry until golden and crispy....serve with a honey based sauce, or chili sauce.

Crispy spring rolls

Using a whole spring roll wrapper, place about 2 or 3 tbsp cabbage mix on lower third facing you.

Roll partially, then tuck ends over.

corn starch the last inch or so, and complete rolling.

Deep fry until golden and crispy....serve with a honey based sauce, or chili sauce.

That's todays update.....I'll try to answer any questions if anyone needs more information.

More to follow......

Eric

Update:

The new cook quit!! He got a job offer at a big restaurant in Boston.....and off he went.

My friend Ni, the owner, is going to do all the cooking herself.....she's a nut...but a good business woman.

Due to the loss of the chef, I'm doing lots of prep work....and dish washing.....not really the dream realized, but I do get to see how things operate....and I'm learning.

Not a lot to report today.....I could explain how to peel a thousand shrimp, or the fine art of wok washing, but I think you probably get the idea.

I will report more tommorow.

I'm dead tired.

Dishpan hands,

Eric

Dream smashed.

Suffering severe back pain......again.

3 surgeries and no relief.

I wanna curl up and die.

Perhaps this thread, and my dreams will continue in the future.....but for now, I'm done.

Sorry.

Disgusted,

Eric

Thanks Gerd.

Eric

You're welcome Eric!

Had the same problem when I was younger but very bad. Ended up with a wheelchair for nearly 2 years.

But never gave up and started cooking again on crutches, Will never forget that horrible pain when it beams down

both legs.

Gerd