Lost UK passport

I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I lost my passport in Bangkok probably whilst out walking on New Year's Eve. I needed a new one anyway due to damage on the photo page.

I reported it to the police and cancelled it online but applying for the new one seems a bit complicated.

I've tried applying online but I start to get problems when it asks if I live in the UK. I used to switch between Thailand where I'm married and the UK roughly every 3 months but that changed due to Covid. I also used to stay with my mother but she's moved to a one bedroom property so it's difficult until I sort out somewhere else to live. I've been back a couple of times last year and I only arrived back in Thailand 5 days ago. I'm in the position of not being UK resident for tax purposes but still 'ordinarily resident' as I return on a regular basis and have family there. I realised there might be complications if I said I was UK resident but wanted my passport sent to Thailand. I phone the UK passport office and explained the situation and the guy sounded as confused as I am but said I should apply as if I'm living in Thailand so that's what I'll try to do.

I also asked if the forms could be sent online as on their website it's not clear but he said they could. The form is in PDF format but I can't fill it in online as I have with other forms so do I have to print it out and then scan it to send off?

I was hoping someone else might have some experience of this or at least part of it. I'm it's not as complicated as it seems but at the moment I keep hitting problems.

Thanks in advance for any comments. Useful, derogatory, humorous or otherwise.

Nothing is easy,  you can not apply online for a passport in Thailand all applications are paper and handled by ukvi at the trendy building in Bangkok, the link seems to talk about renewing a passport or applying for a first passport dont see why you cant get a new one,  you might have to apply for an emergency travel document also called an emergency passport that is done by the British embassy costs 100 quid

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document/how-to-apply

It takes  up to 12 weeks to get a passport in Thailand some have reported getting it in 6 weeks

Looks like follow this link and state applying from Thailand it then walks you through the process,  it currently says allow 13 weeks to receive a new passport

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Edited by howerde
text
  • Like 1

Should have added you have to print off the form and take it to the trendy building along with the supporting documents everything is on the link including what documents you need to take, it seems there is an office in Chang Mai as well

Edited by howerde
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, howerde said:

Nothing is easy,  you can not apply online for a passport in Thailand all applications are paper and handled by ukvi at the trendy building in Bangkok, the link seems to talk about renewing a passport or applying for a first passport dont see why you cant get a new one,  you might have to apply for an emergency travel document also called an emergency passport that is done by the British embassy costs 100 quid

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document/how-to-apply

It takes  up to 12 weeks to get a passport in Thailand some have reported getting it in 6 weeks

Looks like follow this link and state applying from Thailand it then walks you through the process,  it currently says allow 13 weeks to receive a new passport

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Thanks.

I don't need the passport urgently, unless something drastic happens. I can use my Thai drivers licence for domestic flights and most other things.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

There are also a number of agencies who will handle the legwork for you (for a fee of course).

I recently used https://www.keyvisathailand.com/ but sadly their owner Darren passed away recently so I'm not sure if they are still operating normally.

It took 15 weeks to get a new PP as the old one was expiring ????

I've looked at their website and it doesn't seem to mention his death. I may consider that.

I'll have to look at what documents are needed. I'd already got a digital photo and someone to confirm it's me.  I'll have to get a printed one and have it countersigned, presumably by posting it to them. It's a pity I can't use a similar process with a Thai as I know a lawyer here.

Of course then I'll have to get the visa transferred to my new passport

Thanks for the link.

Edited by kimamey

33 minutes ago, kimamey said:

It’s a pity I can't use a similar process with a Thai as I know a lawyer here.

There are agents up and down the country who offer this service, maybe your lawyer friend might be able to do so for you.

The use of an agent doesn’t speed up the process, it just saves the double visit to Trendy, the forms still need to be completed and submitted.

Be aware that some agents retain the old passport during the process, which can cause problems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

There are agents up and down the country who offer this service, maybe your lawyer friend might be able to do so for you.

The use of an agent doesn’t speed up the process, it just saves the double visit to Trendy, the forms still need to be completed and submitted.

Be aware that some agents retain the old passport during the process, which can cause problems.

There won't be a problem with my old passport as it was lost. I needed a new one anyway due to damage. That might have been easier.

57 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Sorry, l meant to add that, though as it’s lost, you might need to attend an interview.

It won't affect me but it's a good point to make as it may help others.

I've been trying to think who I could get to countersign my passport photo. There is one guy I've known here for a while although he's not in one of the listed professions and I assume he's 'of good standing in the community'. There's a teacher I used to know but I haven't seen him for some time and I don't know where he lives now.

I've been thinking that since I have an address in the UK I might go that route and just get it couriered over. I can do it online and I can get my digital photo confirmed easily. Tomorrow I'll look at what documentation I need. It might be easier to do it from that end. Unless I suddenly think of a flaw in my plan of course. ????

You likely won't need a countersignature, read the instructions carefully but if your appearance hasn't changed significantly, you're good to go.

The fly in the ointment could be the requirement for a letter from the embassy requesting immigration to move your stamps to your new PP ???? 

8 hours ago, kimamey said:

I've looked at their website and it doesn't seem to mention his death.

That they've not updated the website is worrying.

It may be wise to consider one of the other agents, there are many.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

You likely won't need a countersignature, read the instructions carefully but if your appearance hasn't changed significantly, you're good to go.

The fly in the ointment could be the requirement for a letter from the embassy requesting immigration to move your stamps to your new PP ???? 

Looking again it seems a new photo is needed for a new passport. Digital if applying online or 2 printed if not. One of the printed ones needs to be countersigned but the digital ones can be confirmed online.

I've decided to apply using my UK address. It seems much easier up to now. Probably easier to confirm my information such as address, name, any previous names ect. I still need to get the digital picture confirmed as me later today but that's not a problem as I know a retired police officer.

Transferring the visa may be more difficult but that would probably have been the case either way. It'll be a while before I get the new passport to be able to do that by all accounts so I'll have time to think about it.

I'm lucky in that I still have a UK address otherwise it would be much more difficult. If that were to change then I'd make sure to get really friendly with someone here with a UK passport and preferably who is or had retired from a recognised profession.

Yeah, I was mistaken, you DO need a countersignature for both the photos and the form for a paper application for a lost passport replacement.

If you do apply online you still need someone to digitally verify your ID https://www.gov.uk/confirm-identity-online-for-passport-application/how-to-confirm-someones-identity and you may be asked to have a video interview (no idea how that works).

42 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Looking again it seems a new photo is needed for a new passport. Digital if applying online or 2 printed if not. One of the printed ones needs to be countersigned but the digital ones can be confirmed online.

I've decided to apply using my UK address. It seems much easier up to now. Probably easier to confirm my information such as address, name, any previous names ect. I still need to get the digital picture confirmed as me later today but that's not a problem as I know a retired police officer.

Transferring the visa may be more difficult but that would probably have been the case either way. It'll be a while before I get the new passport to be able to do that by all accounts so I'll have time to think about it.

I'm lucky in that I still have a UK address otherwise it would be much more difficult. If that were to change then I'd make sure to get really friendly with someone here with a UK passport and preferably who is or had retired from a recognised profession.

What you're suggesting is actually illegal, or at least goes against HMPO rules rather than breaking the law.

HMPO has a rule that passports cannot, or at least shouldn't be sent by regular post internationally, that said I believe a number of people do so, and don't encounter a problem.

You've reported your passport lost and intend to apply for a new one to be delivered in the UK, they may well be aware that you haven't applied for an Emergency Travel Document and may possibly ask questions as to why you're applying in the UK and not following their requirements. that's just an educated guess. 

Obtaining the letter asking for your visa to be transferred could be an issue as I believe they are issued automatically with the new passports issued via VFS, however some people apply for a new passport whilst visiting the UK, and I believe the UK Embassy will issue the letter via e-mail in those circumstances, I think it's a template, maybe that might be an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Obtaining the letter asking for your visa to be transferred could be an issue as I believe they are issued automatically with the new passports issued via VFS, however some people apply for a new passport whilst visiting the UK, and I believe the UK Embassy will issue the letter via e-mail in those circumstances, I think it's a template, maybe that might be an option.

The absence of an Embassy letter might be an issue for the OP as his new passport will be mailed to Thailand and will therefore have no entry stamp.  People who live in Thailand but renew their passport while back in the UK, don't need the Embassy letter as their new passport will be stamped by airport immigration on arrival in Thailand.  They will still need to get Extensions transferred, but the letter is not required.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The absence of an Embassy letter might be an issue for the OP as his new passport will be mailed to Thailand and will therefore have no entry stamp.  People who live in Thailand but renew their passport while back in the UK, don't need the Embassy letter as their new passport will be stamped by airport immigration on arrival in Thailand.  They will still need to get Extensions transferred, but the letter is not required.

Yes, good point, I'd missed that.

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, I was mistaken, you DO need a countersignature for both the photos and the form for a paper application for a lost passport replacement.

If you do apply online you still need someone to digitally verify your ID https://www.gov.uk/confirm-identity-online-for-passport-application/how-to-confirm-someones-identity and you may be asked to have a video interview (no idea how that works).

Fortunately I know a retired police officer in the UK who can confirm my identity.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, kimamey said:

It won't affect me but it's a good point to make as it may help others.

I've been trying to think who I could get to countersign my passport photo. There is one guy I've known here for a while although he's not in one of the listed professions and I assume he's 'of good standing in the community'. There's a teacher I used to know but I haven't seen him for some time and I don't know where he lives now.

I've been thinking that since I have an address in the UK I might go that route and just get it couriered over. I can do it online and I can get my digital photo confirmed easily. Tomorrow I'll look at what documentation I need. It might be easier to do it from that end. Unless I suddenly think of a flaw in my plan of course. ????

Post office 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:27 AM, theoldgit said:

What you're suggesting is actually illegal, or at least goes against HMPO rules rather than breaking the law.

HMPO has a rule that passports cannot, or at least shouldn't be sent by regular post internationally, that said I believe a number of people do so, and don't encounter a problem.

You've reported your passport lost and intend to apply for a new one to be delivered in the UK, they may well be aware that you haven't applied for an Emergency Travel Document and may possibly ask questions as to why you're applying in the UK and not following their requirements. that's just an educated guess. 

That might be a problem. I've never seen anything about not posting a passport overseas and it would be by courier. I've searched for 'can I send a UK passport by post' and the only thing I can find is Transglobal Express who say I will need approval from HMRC prior to export. I can't find anything on their website so I may have to contact them.

I feel I have a legitimate reason for applying in the UK. I have 2 options for countersigning my photo in the UK, one a retired police officer and the other a Clinical Dental Technician. The first which I'm using  is on the list from HMPO and the other I'm sure would qualify as a profession. In Thailand I could probably find a Thai with relevant status but they have to have a British, Irish, EU, US or Commonwealth passport. The only Brit that might be OK is a builder and I haven't seen him in a while. I'm not in a great hurry at the moment but I don't want to have my application rejected. If it was I'd be left with only my UK options. I did consider sending the photo and application to the UK for signing but that just seemed a bit complicated.

Just looking at the other document requirements if I applied here the photo ID isn't a problem as I have both a UK and a Thai driving licence. As for residency then I suppose it would be the blue book as I can't see any other options. In that case is a photocopy OK? Would it need to be notarised? 

23 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The Embassy seem prepared to issue a letter if you ask for one. This from their website:-

"You will be given a template visa transfer letter from VFS Bangkok when you collect your new passport. You can also request a letter in person by visiting their offices, from 8:30am to 3pm, Monday to Friday, at 8th Floor, VFS, The Trendy Building, Sukhumvit Soi 13, Klongtoey-Nua, Watthana, Bangkok 10110. Alternatively, apply online for a letter to be sent to you. To request the online service send a message via our online contact form, giving the reason for your request along with your name and address in Thailand."

I'm not so sure that if you are applying in the UK to replace a stolen passport (as opposed to an expiring one) when actually in Thailand is entirely straightforward. A quick check of the HMPO website about reporting lost/stolen passports seems to imply that they may wish to talk to you, as they requesta mobile or landline phone number.

Outcome - Cancel a lost or stolen passport - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Thanks for the information. It all helps.

I'm not sure that applying in Thailand is straightforward, at least not for me.  For many years I spent over half the year in the UK and also working until recently. I've mentioned in another post the problems I've got regarding countersigning a photo. I'll copy it here.

I feel I have a legitimate reason for applying in the UK. I have 2 options for countersigning my photo in the UK, one a retired police officer and the other a Clinical Dental Technician. The first which I'm using  is on the list from HMPO and the other I'm sure would qualify as a profession. In Thailand I could probably find a Thai with relevant status but they have to have a British, Irish, EU, US or Commonwealth passport. The only Brit that might be OK is a builder and I haven't seen him in a while. I'm not in a great hurry at the moment but I don't want to have my application rejected. If it was I'd be left with only my UK options. I did consider sending the photo and application to the UK for signing but that just seemed a bit complicated.

2 hours ago, kimamey said:

I feel I have a legitimate reason for applying in the UK.

Maybe you might be wise to make contact with the HMPO and put this them.

hm-passport-office/contact/hm-passport-office-webchat or via phone +44 (0)300 222 0000

I cannot find the rule regarding the posting of UK Passports overseas, but I know there is one, HMPO don't post overseas, they have a secure contract via DHL.

As I indicated earlier whilst it's against HMPO rules to apply in the UK when you're in Thailand, I'm aware that some people do, though I'm not sure that those who have lost passports have done so, it might be a problem if they decide to make contact with you.

Your countersignatory will need to countersign the photo and confirm that they know you personally and have done so for more than two years, also supply a copy of their passport and contact details. As part of their work HMPO will check that the countersignatory is genuine. This may include checking their passport and other records to confirm their identity and their profession or professional qualification. You will be asked to ensure that your countersignatory
knows that HMPO may contact them and carry out their checks.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, please let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:27 PM, Crossy said:

There are also a number of agencies who will handle the legwork for you (for a fee of course).

I recently used https://www.keyvisathailand.com/ but sadly their owner Darren passed away recently so I'm not sure if they are still operating normally.

It took 15 weeks to get a new PP as the old one was expiring ????

Thanks for the sad info re. Darren

I had some slight hickups getting my new passport sent on to me so I think Darren must have passed away just before that time.

I found him to be very helpful.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Maybe you might be wise to make contact with the HMPO and put this them.

hm-passport-office/contact/hm-passport-office-webchat or via phone +44 (0)300 222 0000

I cannot find the rule regarding the posting of UK Passports overseas, but I know there is one, HMPO don't post overseas, they have a secure contract via DHL.

As I indicated earlier whilst it's against HMPO rules to apply in the UK when you're in Thailand, I'm aware that some people do, though I'm not sure that those who have lost passports have done so, it might be a problem if they decide to make contact with you.

Your countersignatory will need to countersign the photo and confirm that they know you personally and have done so for more than two years, also supply a copy of their passport and contact details. As part of their work HMPO will check that the countersignatory is genuine. This may include checking their passport and other records to confirm their identity and their profession or professional qualification. You will be asked to ensure that your countersignatory
knows that HMPO may contact them and carry out their checks.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, please let us know how it goes.

Unfortunately the webchat is off line due technical problems. I'll try later. The nearest I can get to an answer is from the Transglobal Express website which seems to suggest I can send a passport but I'll need clearance from HMRC first. Going through the application it just asks if I live in the UK, which I do, just not all the time. The same goes for Thailand. If I can't do this then without using a UK countersignatory then I'm in a difficult position unless I can send a photo and the application form to them to sign and get it sent back. Or if the passport office can do that part online. I have phoned the passport office and they told me I could apply online which isn't the case. The guy I spoke to seemed a bit confused to be honest so I'm guessing it's not a situation that comes up all that often.

I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1