Tips for massage and haircut

Y Chang

14 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

massage 50 Baht 

That is a miserable suggestion bearing in mind that most legitimate Thai Massage (only) shops do not employ the masseuses so do not pay them salaries, they usually only get customer tips.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is a miserable suggestion bearing in mind that most legitimate Thai Massage (only) shops do not employ the masseuses so do not pay them salaries, they usually only get customer tips.

It is 33.3%.....that is not miserable in my book.

You are wrong about tips only. Usually 100 Baht from a 200 Baht massage fee.  120 Baht from 300 Baht oil massage fee. 

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So, you do not know that there is a price for the massage? When we are talking tip, we probably mean beside the general price. Hey! Welcome to the real world.

26 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

No, I am not, in general.

You are wrong. Sorry buddy.

No, I am not wrong about many proper Thai Massage shop masseuses' remuneration.  Many work for tips only, that's why they are so keen to get the next passing customer in.   Buddy.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

So, you do not know that there is a price for the massage? When we are talking tip, we probably mean beside the general price. Hey! Welcome to the real world.

Hey, welcome to the real world!  The charge for the massage in many traditional, proper Thai Massage shops goes to the shop owner.   Many traditional masseuses do only get the customers' tips.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I always wonder where such insider wisdom comes from.

How many massage places exist in Bangkok? I am sure thousands.

With how many people who work there or own such places did you talk to? Likely not even 1%.

I also talked to some of them, and I heard of amounts between 50 to 200B per massage which they receive from the shop. Nobody ever told me they only receive tips. Does that mean this is statistically relevant? Obviously: no.

Doesn't alter the fact that I am correct in what I posted, many traditional, proper (no extras) shops do not have salaried/waged masseuses, they rely on tips.  It is not necessary to speak with every traditional massage shop to know how that type of business operates.   

• Haha 1

No, I am not wrong about many proper Thai Massage shop masseuses' remuneration.  Many work for tips only, that's why they are so keen to get the next passing customer in.   Buddy.

You believe what you want even if it is wrong.

• Like 2

Hey, welcome to the real world!  The charge for the massage in many traditional, proper Thai Massage shops goes to the shop owner.   Many traditional masseuses do only get the customers' tips.

That´s just not true.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't alter the fact that I am correct in what I posted, many traditional, proper (no extras) shops do not have salaried/waged masseuses, they rely on tips.  It is not necessary to speak with every traditional massage shop to know how that type of business operates.   

Ok, you know shop without salaries. I know shops with salaries. And what do we learn from that: They both exist.

And I am pretty sure people who do the massage will think in which of those shops they want to work, most likely they will choose the place where they make more money.