You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

No more waivers. Any option?

MarcelV

Once all 3 or 4 2-year waivers have been used, and the teacher license has still not been obtained, is there any way to continue teaching at a Thai private (junior) high school legally?

I'm talking as a "teacher", not some other made-up staff name.

I may find myself in that situation next year, and I'd like to find out already what my options are?

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they could make you a teaching assistant. I had several in my previous school in this situation.

Or, you might just consider going home. Huge demand for ESL in the West, particularly for teachers with intl experience, with the current influx of immigration. That's what I'm in the process of now, with interviews coming up this week. Wish me luck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Yes, they could make you a teaching assistant. I had several in my previous school in this situation.

Or, you might just consider going home. Huge demand for ESL in the West, particularly for teachers with intl experience, with the current influx of immigration. That's what I'm in the process of now, with interviews coming up this week. Wish me luck.

@MarcelVasked about teaching in Thailand.

He also said " I'm talking as a "teacher", not some other made-up staff name.".

That kind of negates your post.

@MarcelVyou have a year. I have seen many reports of expats signing up for courses to enable them to take the TCT tests. St Teresa's in Nakon Nayok or PGCEi from Nottingham Uni seem to be the most favoured. 

These were mainly those on 3 waivers looking for a 4th. Its not quite clear from your post which number you are now on.

Edited by puchooay

11 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I am not an ESL teacher, nor am I from a native English speaking country.

Plus, in my country you need to have proper qualifications as a teacher, meaning a four-year B.Ed. I have about zero percent chanceof becoming a teacher in my country of origin.

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

@MarcelVasked about teaching in Thailand.

He also said " I'm talking as a "teacher", not some other made-up staff name.".

That kind of negates your post.

@MarcelVyou have a year. I have seen many reports of expats signing up for courses to enable them to take the TCT tests. St Teresa's in Nakon Nayok or PGCEi from Nottingham Uni seem to be the most favoured. 

These were mainly those on 3 waivers looking for a 4th. Its not quite clear from your post which number you are now on.

I am currently on my fourth waiver and still have until Oct. '24.

Last year I finished St Roberts' diploma in teaching, but apparently that is not recognized in Thailand. I was advised to become a teacher in The Philippines with it, which is impossible for a foreigner anyway.