Thailand Ties With Italy in Top 10 Places to Retire

webfact

image.jpeg

Natthaphon Sangpolsit

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Annual Global Retirement Index has listed Thailand as the world’s 9th most affordable place to live for expat retirees.

The 2023 list of “10 Cheapest Places to Live After Retiring” was compiled by experts at the International Living website and published this week. It details the best places to retire in terms of high quality of life and low cost of living.

Portugal tops the list thanks to the weakness of its currency and ease of acquiring a long-term visa. Second is Mexico, followed by Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain, Greece and France, with Thailand tying with Italy for ninth place.

International Living says the list is not just for retirees, but anyone seeking a better and more affordable life, or just to escape the bustle, violence, politics and divisiveness of their home country.

The 2023 list focuses on aspects such as cost of living, climate, visas, housing, and healthcare.

International Living correspondent Rachel Devlin explains that Thailand’s warm, sun-drenched climate makes it an alluring destination for retirees.

She also noted that Thailand “appeals to those who have a keen sense of adventure and an eye for natural and cultural beauty,” adding that the kingdom retains a unique way of life as the only nation in Southeast Asia to avoid colonization.

On living costs, Devlin said an expat couple can live comfortably on as little as US$1,596 (53,963 baht) per month.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230107180634955

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-01-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Before, money got you the Number 1 rating.  Now 10th.   Soon 100th.  Then last.   

These lists are soooooo 1990's.   

Land of the Smoke, Noise, Immigration, Xenophobia, Aids, oil, plastic, fakeness, and Pattaya!!!!  

but also Land of the Sun, Cheap living, nice people, lots of food, nature, and easy to mail stuff. lol.

If I gave everyone 1 million US, I would guess 80% would leave tomorrow.   even if married, kids, etc.... lol

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Before, money got you the Number 1 rating.  Now 10th.   Soon 100th.  Then last.   

These lists are soooooo 1990's.   

Land of the Smoke, Noise, Immigration, Xenophobia, Aids, oil, plastic, fakeness, and Pattaya!!!!  

but also Land of the Sun, Cheap living, nice people, lots of food, nature, and easy to mail stuff. lol.

If I gave everyone 1 million US, I would guess 80% would leave tomorrow.   even if married, kids, etc.... lol

Sounds like you still haven't got over your bad Pattaya experience. Soi 6?????????

• Haha 1

For me in the early 2000's it was a paradise especially Kow Tow living and working there with over 300 dives then they poured concrete everywhere and it lost its charm. 2006 was the start of the rot then 2014 all was lost. It is really sad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BritScot said:

then 2014 all was lost.

As we get older, we MUST believe all was lost in our lifetime!!!!! lol.

Imagine if we said, "In the past it was horrible, now I'm old and it's the greatest and will only get better."

Nah, old people like to say, "It was way better before, now doomed, these kids will never see it as great as I did."

Unfortunately, Thailand in the year 2287 will be the greatest place in the Universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

As we get older, we MUST believe all was lost in our lifetime!!!!! lol.

Imagine if we said, "In the past it was horrible, now I'm old and it's the greatest and will only get better."

Nah, old people like to say, "It was way better before, now doomed, these kids will never see it as great as I did."

Unfortunately, Thailand in the year 2287 will be the greatest place in the Universe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

For a second there I thought you worked for TAT! 

In many cases you are right however in Thailand's unique situation it has regressed and not progressed. One just has to go into a Thai bank say 2002 and again today try to do business (it has not progressed) and  then do the same with the uk or other civilised countries banking system. Schools also have gone backwards in Thailand. I personally don't reminisce about the good old days which were very hard and my favorite time in my life is now.

• Thumbs Up 1

There might be a tie with Thailand and Italy to retire.  But to retire in Italy you would have difficulty if you have barebones income and little to no health insurance. Compared to living in Thailand. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Been to just about all those places and I agree Thailand in the top ten.   Low cost of living for sure but where else can an older man date girls 30 years+ younger then them?  Rare if unattainable in western countries.

Huh?

"Date girls?"

Wherever does the expression "date girls" (30 years+younger) have any credence in Thailand?

I think you meant "rent girls".????????

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Been to just about all those places and I agree Thailand in the top ten.   Low cost of living for sure but where else can an older man date girls 30 years+ younger then them?  Rare if unattainable in western countries.

This is correct, but let's not forget that the only reason we poochai can do that  is the extreme poverty of most women here. 

I am daily disgusted by the CHEAPNESS of farang here.  I go to half-decent restaurants, frequented by European couples, and can't help noticing how often they will leave a tip of 20 BAHT after a meal that probably cost 300 baht.

Do these  people  have ANY idea how little 20 baht will buy for a  poor Thai worker????  It's like leaving 50 cents  after a $12 meal.....

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 3:53 AM, webfact said:

Second is Mexico, followed by Panama, Ecuador, Costa Rica, Spain, Greece and France, with Thailand tying with Italy for ninth place.

International Living says the list is not just for retirees, but anyone seeking a better and more affordable life, or just to escape the bustle, violence, politics and divisiveness of their home country.

Amusing (in a macabre way) to see that Mexico occupies second place, when only last week the arrest of El Chapo's son prompted a vast and bloody and incendiary shoot-out by the mafia in Mazatlan, a fairly popular tourist destination. 

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/mazatlan-mayor-reassures-canadians-and-other-visitors-following-cartel-violence

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/have-your-wits-about-you-travel-advice-for-canadians-visiting-mexico

• Like 1