Web hosting and email issues - help!!!

AustinRacing

Are there any web/email digital nomad gurus out there to help us with sorting our issues please

. purchased web creator and ftp software 

. transferred domain from google to new host. 
. cannot connect to host server. 
. Lost gmail due to leaving google. 

this is for the new business we created. Have done this with same provider years ago successfully but their customer service is not good now. Need someone to put the puzzle together. 

Is the "new host" not responding to emails?

Rule 1. Never lose control of your domain name. You should not have transferred it to the new host.

If you can't contact the new host, read this https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/dispute-resolution-2012-02-25-en

To find out contact details for your new host domain registrar, look here https://lookup.icann.org/en

Edited by ozimoron

49 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Is the "new host" not responding to emails?

Rule 1. Never lose control of your domain name. You should not have transferred it to the new host.

If you can't contact the new host, read this https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/dispute-resolution-2012-02-25-en

To find out contact details for your new host domain registrar, look here https://lookup.icann.org/en

Thanks. They eventually did contact me and provided info to connect but having difficulty doing so. 

5 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

. purchased ... ftp software 

wat ????

. transferred domain from google to new host. 

check if the domain was transferred correctly - lookup your domain here https://mxtoolbox.com/MXLookup.aspx

but do not agree to any their "fix problems" offers without consulting with us first ????

. cannot connect to host server. 

your internet provider could block traffic to port 21.

try an encrypted FTP connection to another port, your hosting provider should have sent you the information about how to use SFTP/FTPS.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, fdsa said:

wat ????

check if the domain was transferred correctly - lookup your domain here https://mxtoolbox.com/MXLookup.aspx

but do not agree to any their "fix problems" offers without consulting with us first ????

your internet provider could block traffic to port 21.

try an encrypted FTP connection to another port, your hosting provider should have sent you the information about how to use SFTP/FTPS.

Thanks. I was able to connect to host after sending them email. Now my problem is my email doesn’t work as it was google based gmail. 

This will be a tricky problem to solve on a forum as potentially a lot of background and information is needed.

If you "lost Gmail due to leaving Google" where are you planning on receiving emails now - is this something the new host are supposed to be providing? If so, really they should give you the instructions on how to achieve this.

3 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Thanks. I was able to connect to host after sending them email. Now my problem is my email doesn’t work as it was google based gmail. 

Ask your "new host" to unlock your domain so you can transfer it back. This is crucial to your business. It's easy to point your domain to their server. There is no reason they should want to control your domain and it's highly suspicious that they do.

You can't get your email back at that domain without doing so. Does your website send emails automatically?

Edited by ozimoron

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Ask your "new host" to unlock your domain so you can transfer it back. This is crucial to your business. It's easy to point your domain to their server. There is no reason they should want to control your domain and it's highly suspicious that they do.

You can't get your email back at that domain without doing so. Does your website send emails automatically?

It is not very suspicious especially if it's a normal hosting not the bs Godaddy and if that hosting provides good DNS services.

the OP could just set a different DNS records for the domain - e.g. point the MX records to Gmail and leave the A records pointed to the new hosting provider.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fdsa said:

It is not very suspicious especially if it's a normal hosting not the bs Godaddy and if that hosting provides good DNS services.

the OP could just set a different DNS records for the domain - e.g. point the MX records to Gmail and leave the A records pointed to the new hosting provider.

My point, as you confirmed, is that the web host doesn't need control over the domain. The risk is that they could steal the domain or hold it hostage in the event that the business became wildly successful.

38 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The risk is that they could steal the domain or hold it hostage in the event that the business became wildly successful.

You mean if they become a new Godaddy? :biggrin:

Yep the best approach is to keep the domains with the domain registrars not with the hosting providers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thank you guys. I’ve asked the host to resolve it. They did issue an email address using my domain but it is different to my gmail. It needs to be the same email i setup using gmail. I’ve printed brochures so prefer not changing it. 

question is then can I retain my original email address?