Yearly health check-up - where to go in Chiang Mai?

wolf81

Since I'm 40 years old, I feel it's prudent to do a yearly health check-up, both for me and my girlfriend.

It seems many people thought Sriphat hospital in Chiang Mai is of good quality, so I wanted to check the prices of health check-up there. But I was kinda shocked to see that for age group 40-50 years old the recommended check-up costs about 13.000 THB for men & 16.000 THB for women, see here: https://sriphat.med.cmu.ac.th/th/package/detail/26 (sadly page not available in English)

I wonder, do people think this price is reasonable for what you get? Any other recommendations for hospitals and clinics in Chiang Mai that can do a good health check-up? I guess my main concern would be to detect blood clots (since my father, grandfather & aunt all had strokes) and early cancer detection - not too concerned about the rest. My girlfriend actually recently discovered a little lump in her breast, but according to the doctor in the village hospital it's not a concern. Still, it seems good for her to do the mammogram from now on yearly.

Any advise is welcome.

Edited by wolf81

I have had two at Chiang Mai Ram Health Check Up Center.  Last summer I paid 3600 Baht for the basic package(Blood work, urine analysis, Chest X-Ray and EKG).  I do not know what the current prices are.  No appointment needed just need to fast the night before and they are open at 0700. 

• Like 2

Just had a complete physical at Chiangmai RAM 8 days ago and have had physicals there in the past.  They offer a couple of physical packages and I selected the more thorough men's version with a cost of 9,500 baht.  There was a more minimal package for 3000 baht but didn't include a few things (e.g., ultrasound, PSA, etc.) I wanted done.  Have always been satisfied with the physicals and other things I've had done over the years at RAM.

I also would guess you can specify your own physical program - what you want done and don't want done.

Edit:  Would note that physicals are done at the Health Check-Up Building in the Health Center (the new set of buildings about 600 yards south of the main hospital).  And you don't need an appointment, just walk in and tell them what you want done (they recommend you come early....I arrived at 8AM and was finished by about 10AM). 

Edited by CMBob
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

My first health check here was at Ram, and all subsequent yearly health checks at Rajaveg Hospital. There are two obvious differences between the two; Rajaveg was about 3,000 baht cheaper for the same tests, and Ram had carpeting on the floor in the waiting room.
I don't make an appointment. I fast after dinner the night before, show up at the hospital at 8am and immediately get taken for blood test and the rest of the program. Usually finished by 8:45.  I leave and have breakfast, come back at 10am for physician's physical exam and consultation on test results, and home by 10:45. Usually no waiting more than 2-3 minutes to be seen at each station.

Very smoothly run program. In and out quickly with both printed results and DVD of ultrasound. I think I paid 4,700 Baht last month for this.

Rajevej also gets my vote

• Like 1

Have had yearly checkups at Chiang Mai Ram for many, many years (twenty?) and don't think I paid more than 8 or 9 thousand  for the complete package.

They did spot "occult blood" which turned out to be polyps (had a tube stuck up my b*m back in Europe to confirm and yep there they were, snipped off and told benign - went back after after five years last year and told I'm clear). 

No-brainer - if I had ONE of these tests they do (out of twenty or thirty, EKG, chest X-ray, lower body ultra-sound, loads and LOADS of blood tests for everything including some major cancers) back in Switzerland they would cost me 5-10 thousand baht EACH. Also my medical insurance doesn't cover preventive stuff like that (has to be recommended by a doctor because you are showing symptoms) so I would have to shell out for them.

I get the results and give it to my Swiss doctor who actions anything needed,which is next to nothing luckily. Touch wood.

On a cynical note I think the tests are cheap - but they hope you get the treatment there which is expensive. That Colonoscopy (b*m job) thing - 38k baht I believe in CMR but have got it done at half price here with Swiss medical insurance (full price paid).

Next time they tell me I have polyps I'll fly to Switzerland and get it done there half price - the saving almost pays for the air-fare.

• Love It 1

Ram Hospital, about $800 USD for endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound of abdomen, chest x-ray, and blood work, very reasonable compared to the states. There were a few blood work items that were not included but Bria lab in CM has a very full menu of diagnostic tests that are much cheaper than the hospital.  Good if you know what your looking at for the reported results.  For blood clots, depends where in the body you have concern.  There are blood tests to rule out certain clots, some parts of the body can use ultrasound, some parts require CT scan with contrasting dye.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:21 AM, DrPhibes said:

Ram Hospital, about $800 USD for endoscopy, colonoscopy, ultrasound of abdomen, chest x-ray, and blood work, very reasonable compared to the states. There were a few blood work items that were not included but Bria lab in CM has a very full menu of diagnostic tests that are much cheaper than the hospital.  Good if you know what your looking at for the reported results.  For blood clots, depends where in the body you have concern.  There are blood tests to rule out certain clots, some parts of the body can use ultrasound, some parts require CT scan with contrasting dye.

It's not clear from the Bria lab website, but do you know if one can visit an office of this company in CM for a health check-up? The website seems to suggest their clinic is in Bangkok.

2 hours ago, wolf81 said:

It's not clear from the Bria lab website, but do you know if one can visit an office of this company in CM for a health check-up? The website seems to suggest their clinic is in Bangkok.

try this from their website

please contact us at 9 Soi 4 (Anuban Rd.), Changpueak, Muang Chiangmai, Chiangmai

Tel. +66(52) 080 653

Fax. +66(52) 080 654

Operation hours are 08.00 AM – 04.00 PM

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/22/2023 at 9:21 AM, DrPhibes said:

I don't know where you got those prices from but the combination endoscopy and colonoscopy (or round trip as they like to call it) at RAM was 36,000 as a package in February last year. The Endoscopy alone is 26,000.

Edited by nigelforbes

10 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I don't know where you got those prices from but the combination endoscopy and colonoscopy (or round trip as they like to call it) at RAM was 36,000 as a package in February last year. The Endoscopy alone is 26,000.

It was my understanding as well that colonoscopy is a separate (and expensive at 38k? could be wrong) item. I pay probably 9500 I think from memory and would definitely have remembered if they stuck a tube up my b*m (with or without the anesthetic). I want at least a meal and flowers.

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nglodnig said:

It was my understanding as well that colonoscopy is a separate (and expensive at 38k? could be wrong) item. I pay probably 9500 I think from memory and would definitely have remembered if they stuck a tube up my b*m (with or without the anestehtic). I want at least a meal and flowers.

Yes, I got it back to front, sorry. The Endoscopy (up the b*m) was 26K whilst the Gastroscopy (throat and stomach) was 18K, the package was 36K if both done together. Expect prices to be at least 10% higher this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wolf81 said:

Misquote

As "nigelforbes" pointed out that is VERY reasonable and not something I've ever seen or been offered (you're talking roughly 25k baht for the Full Monty a.k.a. everything included?) I'm going again in April I shall ask if they do a special like that - can I mention your name to get a discount? ???? 

Edited by nglodnig
Quoted the wrong person see my correction below

On 1/23/2023 at 3:32 AM, nigelforbes said:

When the exchange rate was darn near 38 to 1 USD, would have to talk to the wife about the final number but was a bit over $800 USD.

• 5 months later...