I must be getting old

Negita43

My Nash Cordless has seen better days (1 charge lasts about 20 mins if I'm lucky).

So I was looking on the two online shopping sites and I am utterly confused - in my day Cordless were 12 Volt or 18Volt (or 7.something volt for a real lightweigt).

I am now seeing Makita look a likes advertsied as 96V or 148/9 V - just what does this mean (I can't believe that's a real voltage and I don't think it's a model number - so what does it mean in old fashioned Money (Voltage)?

Edited by Negita43
spelling
  • Haha 1

I just had a look at Makita batteries. There are no 96V batteries, max is 36V.

Products | Makita Thailand

It seems there are very old 9.6V batteries:

Makita USA - Product Details -193979-3 (makitatools.com)

The voltages of modern batteries are multipliers of Lithium cell voltages. 

Here is a sample which explains 4S = 4 lithium cells in series

14.4 volt battery and 14.8 volt lithium ion battery pack 4S polymer - CMX (cmxbattery.com)

Personally I recently bought a couple of Bosch cordless tools. 12V and 18V seems to be their current standard.

8 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes you  must be getting old you did not see the .   can you see it now , between the 9 and 6 .

No I can't - I might be getting old but you must be getting dotty????????

Here's an example

BONYA บล็อกแบต 128 V เป็นรุ่นใหม่ล่าสุด2ระบบมีระบบAuto Stopมอเตอร์BRUSHLESSไร้แปลงถ่านที่แรงที่สุด.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Well maybe I should apologise to wargeordie - if you look at the attchment it's just possible some crafty designer has snuck a dot in there which would make it 19.9 Volts - all very confusing!!

Screenshot 2023-01-14 at 16-33-08 Makita ประแจไฟฟ้าไร้สาย 199V แบต 2 ก้อน Brushless Electric Impact Wrench ประแจไฟฟ้า [...].png

It's all very confusing but if a tool battery has a voltage on it that's over 40v it will be a vf relating to the Ah.

Basically if you bought the xgt 199v in the post above it would very light despite having a large Ah rating.  It would do a DIY job but not well.

If you go to a shop you can hold the battery's, feel the weight. The heavier the battery the better it's performance. Its not as easy as ordering from lazada but you will get a better drill from a decent shop.

Some people refer to the vf battery's  as very fake or very flammable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mick220675 said:

It's all very confusing but if a tool battery has a voltage on it that's over 40v it will be a vf relating to the Ah.

Basically if you bought the xgt 199v in the post above it would very light despite having a large Ah rating.  It would do a DIY job but not well.

If you go to a shop you can hold the battery's, feel the weight. The heavier the battery the better it's performance. Its not as easy as ordering from lazada but you will get a better drill from a decent shop.

Some people refer to the vf battery's  as very fake or very flammable. 

My current M.O., is I go to a shop, check out the product, try on the clothes, etc., then go online and do price comparison. The savings can be quite  substantial. 

10 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Here's an example

BONYA บล็อกแบต 128 V เป็นรุ่นใหม่ล่าสุด2ระบบมีระบบAuto Stopมอเตอร์BRUSHLESSไร้แปลงถ่านที่แรงที่สุด.

Ok, but that´s just another symptom of the same thing. Around 1970, they started to introduce the word scam and misleading information. That is what this is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Here's an example

He is not getting dotty, but you are if you believe the voltage on that advertisement.

It certainly is possible to have a battery pack that can provide 128v but impossible to produce a pack that can provide that voltage and power a ½” impact gun using the battery pack size that tool user and have it last for more than a couple of minutes.

The voltage actually provided by the battery pack is a little under 20V so that is the real voltage. You can use voltage multiplying in the tool to achieve a higher voltage for the motor but that doesn’t change the fact that the battery pack is a 20V, or under, supply.

You should understand that there is virtually no “truth in advertising” legislation in Thailand or China. So you can virtually guarantee that if it looks too good to be true, it is a lie, or at best twisting the truth so much it could be a claim by the orange  buffoon. 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

• 2 weeks later...

Got a Kovet one for about 1000 THB less during the Christmas sales period 

Thai brand but I've been buying them for years, never had much issues, reliable and also their customer service team speaks good english so support has been fantastic compared to other companies who rely on thai speakers mostly, even Makita and DeWalt thailand struggle in that aspect.

image.png.d5c078efb442aeb06556718b81a10e41.png

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2023 at 4:14 AM, bendejo said:

I remember the Nash.  They were all cordless, they ran on gasoline like all the other cars back then.  ????

Nash Metropolitan

Ah, memories.....and I remember seeing the Nash Metropolitan in the UK when I was just a kid, and I thought they were lovely looking cars and I may be wrong on this, however I thought they had a small Austin engine in them??

On 1/28/2023 at 2:30 PM, azt219 said:

Got a Kovet one for about 1000 THB less during the Christmas sales period 

Thai brand but I've been buying them for years, never had much issues, reliable and also their customer service team speaks good english so support has been fantastic compared to other companies who rely on thai speakers mostly, even Makita and DeWalt thailand struggle in that aspect.

image.png.d5c078efb442aeb06556718b81a10e41.png

This.  

I'm done with buying no name brands from Lazada.  Always go kaboom after a while, 0 support afterwards, just goes straight into the bin.  

Got a welding machine (MIG200S) from these guys, thought there was a problem, spoke with them, their engineers called me back and explained what the issue was and got me going with the machine.  Customer support is something lacking in the Thai companies usually but I was fairly impressed (by Thai standards).

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Designed by Nash. Built by Austin(BMC)

Aha, just found this............

The only cost-effective option was to build overseas using existing mechanical components (engine, transmission, rear end, suspension, brakes, electrical), leaving only the tooling cost for body panels and other unique components.

With this in mind, Nash Motors negotiated with several European companies. On 5 October 1952, they announced that they had selected the Austin Motor Company (by then part of BMC) and Fisher & Ludlow (which also became part of BMC in September 1953, later operating under the name Pressed Steel Fisher), both English companies based in Birmingham, England and vicinity. Fisher & Ludlow would produce the bodywork, while the mechanicals would be provided as well as the final assembly were to be performed by the Austin Motor Company.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrukenMallardy said:

I'm done with buying no name brands from Lazada.  Always go kaboom after a while, 0 support afterwards, just goes straight into the bin.  

Just to wind up the thread I started about drills (although it's been fun reminscing about old cars - I've had a lot -my first a Ford Y type)

I agree with the above - my recent experience - bought a Brushless drill - arrived tested  - Sparked like hell - sent back > Ordered  another - wrench with keyless chuck attachment for screws - when you unscrew a screw  - it unscrews the chuck not the screw!!

In dispute over that one!

In general buying, ordering returning items on Lazada is painless and easy and their help line is good, however, there are so many misdescriptions on their electric drill section that I won't be ordering from there again (and they really should do something about it) - off to Do Home/Global/HomePro tomorrow.

Edited by Negita43
  • Like 1