IRS Free File Options -- which ones accept foreign address and are expat friendly?

Note this list of 9 count 'em 9 IRS free file options.

IRS Free File | Internal Revenue Service

Each one has specific requirements (or not) as to age, income levels, etc.

But my previous experience with filing software is that not all accept foreign addresses.

Taxact does but I don't fit their age requirements for free file. 

Not sure which one to check out on the list.

You can also just fill out a manual online free file form but I'm too used to software that I'd really rather not. 

Edited by Jingthing

Are you eligible for any of the free offers? Can't you just complete the questionnaire? At least to narrow down your options.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/general/

For me...

Based on your criteria, there are 0 offers you are eligible to use.

OLT has a $41,000 AGI cap.

https://www.olt.com/main/oltfree/default.asp

I paid for TurboTax, Basic, $40. $42.50 with sales tax.

I'm set to eFile on 24 Jan.

• Thanks 1

I just use the IRS's own site, to fill the forms and also file them.  I use my address in Thailand on the forms.  I've used it the past 4 years with no problem.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/free-file-fillable-forms#/fd

You should note (from the site):

If you choose Free File Fillable Forms as your Free File option, you should be comfortable doing your own taxes. Limitations with Free File Fillable Forms include:

• It won't give you guidance about which forms to use or help with your tax situation
  • It only performs basic calculations and doesn't provide extensive error checking
  • It will only file your federal return for the current tax year
  • No state tax return option is available
  • You can't make changes once your return is accepted

If you find a mistake in your return after you file it, it's true you can't make changes, but you can use the same site to file an amended return for the same year.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JTXR said:

I just use the IRS's own site, to fill the forms and also file them.  I use my address in Thailand on the forms.  I've used it the past 4 years with no problem.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/free-file-fillable-forms#/fd

You should note (from the site):

If you choose Free File Fillable Forms as your Free File option, you should be comfortable doing your own taxes. Limitations with Free File Fillable Forms include:

• It won't give you guidance about which forms to use or help with your tax situation
  • It only performs basic calculations and doesn't provide extensive error checking
  • It will only file your federal return for the current tax year
  • No state tax return option is available
  • You can't make changes once your return is accepted

If you find a mistake in your return after you file it, it's true you can't make changes, but you can use the same site to file an amended return for the same year.

Yes of course you can put a foreign address using that manual method.

I should probably look at my previous  taxact.com filing because my situation is simple and repetitive. I didn't even make an IRA withdrawal this year because of the market crash.

Edited by Jingthing

I use taxact for what, 1500฿. I do use a US address though and they do verify your login with an SMS, but I also maintain a US phone number. 

Not free, but just the fact it populates my new tax forms with last year's data for all my accounts saves me a bunch of time. Don't know if they support foreign addresses. 

I have been using taxact for years with my Thai address.

It is good and recommendable. 

Then for some years it was free for me based on my situation and last year it reverted to full retail just because I had some interest (on Thai bank accounts which is not a new thing for me) I reported. Like the interest is less than their fee. Which is why I'm considering using a free service elsewhere. 

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

I used OLT last two years with no issues (had used TaxAct for a decade but last year they required US phone number when I did early Jan (they removed later).  As do not have state return no charge.  IRS refund received Feb 1.

Note there is no OLT AGI requirement for free federal return.

Edited by lopburi3

On 2/4/2023 at 11:43 AM, lopburi3 said:

I used OLT last two years with no issues (had used TaxAct for a decade but last year they required US phone number when I did early Jan (they removed later).  As do not have state return no charge.  IRS refund received Feb 1.

Note there is no OLT AGI requirement for free federal return.

Not quite correct. There are AGI limits to use OLT, depending on age as well....

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 15.56.05.png

On 1/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, bamnutsak said:

OLT has a $41,000 AGI cap.

Their website info appears a bit more nuanced that just what you posted here... Specifically:

"E-File your Federal and State

Return for FREE, if one of the below:

tick1.png Adjusted Gross Income is $41,000 or less (OR)

tick1.png Active Duty Military Adjusted Gross Income $73,000 or under (OR)

If you do not qualify: Your Federal return is free and each state tax return is just $9.95!!"

Note the final part with the last "OR"... if you're above their AGI limit, they seem to be saying they'll still do your federal return for free.... But you'll have to pay $9.95 for any state return you may need.

But then further down, they caveat that further with some added age, income and state residency requirements:

"You will qualify for this Free file offer, if you meet the qualifications below.

• You or your spouse age was greater than or equal to 67.

• Adjusted Gross Income is between $41,000 and $73,000 in 2022.

• Your resident state is (CT, DC, DE, HI, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, ME, MN, MT, ND, NE, NM, OK, OR, RI, TN, UT, VT, WV, WY)"

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Their website info appears a bit more nuanced that just what you posted here... Specifically:

"E-File your Federal and State

Return for FREE, if one of the below:

tick1.png Adjusted Gross Income is $41,000 or less (OR)

tick1.png Active Duty Military Adjusted Gross Income $73,000 or under (OR)

If you do not qualify: Your Federal return is free and each state tax return is just $9.95!!"

Note the final part with the last "OR"... if you're above their AGI limit, they seem to be saying they'll still do your federal return for free.... But you'll have to pay $9.95 for any state return you may need.

But then further down, they caveat that further with some added age, income and state residency requirements:

"You will qualify for this Free file offer, if you meet the qualifications below.

• You or your spouse age was greater than or equal to 67.

• Adjusted Gross Income is between $41,000 and $73,000 in 2022.

• Your resident state is (CT, DC, DE, HI, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, ME, MN, MT, ND, NE, NM, OK, OR, RI, TN, UT, VT, WV, WY)"

Right you are....thank you.

I used Turbo Tax for years. Free E File and no state tax as my listed address is in Texas..(no state tax)

I do not have a US phone number unless    I get someone to help.

They always sent a code to my local phone...smart phone...and I could enter that to finish up.

This year....no foreign phone numbers!!

I was going to mail the form tomorrow, but now I will check out the sites listed above.

Thanks guys..and gals.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 9:23 PM, Sheryl said:

I use https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/free-file-fillable-forms

which is an IRS site.

Used it for years with no problem and with my Thai address.

I followed this advice and used the irs free file fillable forms. This is the first time I was able to e file with no problem. In the past I paid turbo tax and the was never able to e file due to a glitch in their system. Thanks

A little off topic but 2022 IRS tax forms none the less. There is a new line in the address area for including a foreign residence. Country, province and postal code. Last year (2021) this foreign address wasn't on the form 1040-SR.

Previous years an accountant did the taxes. This year I'm doing them.

I maintain an address in California and this is what I've always used even though I'm in Thailand all year.

What are people doing with this? Fill in? Leave it blank? I don't have enough money in Thai banks to require filling out an FBAR. My guess is they already know I have bank accounts here as I filled out a mountain of paperwork to open them.

Edit: I am doing the paper form. Not online applications.

Edited by jmd8800

17 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Country, province and postal code. Last year (2021) this foreign address wasn't on the form 1040-SR.

It was on mine (2021).  Line for for city clearly stated if foreign fill out line below asking for country/province/foreign postal code.  But mine was done online so maybe the form you used was different?  Mine was the 1040SR by OLT.

As for what to use suspect either fine - AFAIK CA will require state tax regardless.

20 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It was on mine (2021).  Line for for city clearly stated if foreign fill out line below asking for country/province/foreign postal code.  But mine was done online so maybe the form you used was different?  Mine was the 1040SR by OLT.

As for what to use suspect either fine - AFAIK CA will require state tax regardless.

Did you fill in both a USA address and one for Thailand?

Yes California wants money too!! A retired IRS person I know told me 20 years ago that CA Franchise Tax Board is more brutal to deal with than the IRS if you can believe it. I

47 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

Did you fill in both a USA address and one for Thailand?

Yes California wants money too!! A retired IRS person I know told me 20 years ago that CA Franchise Tax Board is more brutal to deal with than the IRS if you can believe it. I

Just my Thai address, as have been using for the last 30 years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I used FreeTaxUSA, like last year.

All last years info was there so it was easy and fast. And free.

I have many foreign bank accounts so that was a big help.

I only did Federal. At the end they push hard to do a State as well but I don't need it and got around by marking "Not US resident" on drop-down menu. They accepted it despite me using US address.

• Like 1