Losing maiden's surname

Hello all

I am writing to you so see if you could provide some sort of advice regarding a legal matter.  I am a Thai citizen who married a Spanish citizen in England (thus under English law).Now I have been living in Thailand for 2 months now with my husband.  When we went to Laksi district to change my status from single to married I was told hat it was mandatory for me to change my surname and take my husbands

'surname.  I explained to them that I had got married under English Law and that both in England and Spain where I also lived before I did not have to change my surname.  They forced me to lose my maiden's surname and to apply for

a new ID.  I have been informed by the Royal Thai Embassy in Spain that I should have not lost my maiden's surname as I did not marry under Thai law and now  would like to start the necessary proceedings to make sure I get a new ID with my maiden's surname.

Has any of you experienced a similar problem?

What did you do?

Thanks in advance

You have the same rights whatever your last name is.  You can vote, own property, etc.  But the law here in Thailand should change in a few days or weeks and allow those that want to keep their family name to do so.  Perhaps just waiting a few days can solve your problem.

Thanks.  The thing is as I have already done it and now I have a new ID with my husband's surname, what I am trying to do is to get my maiden's name back and consequently I will need a new ID.  They did not want to listen to me when I told them that according to the Thai Embassy in Spain I was not supposed to lose my maiden's surname as I had not married under Thai law.

I have carred forward my view from previous post, I feel the viewpoint was lost in the transfer.

I have been married for 12 years and my wife never changed her name. She did have it entered on her Passport that she was now using her married name, that passport has expired. I wonder if now she will be able to continue using her maiden name?  This means she was breaking the law or still is? will this new law clear this up  ???

I can now confirm that the new law is already enforced since June 4, 2003. Thai women does not need to change names after marriage, and those who have changed already can change back to their maiden names. The new rules also affects women married to foreigners.