Waifs and Strays

nikmar

I commend you for trying to help.  Just because he is a troubled youth does not mean he won’t be successful in life.  Many like him have grown to be successful members of society.  But it is understandable you still have to proceed with caution.  
The police could do an investigation.  Maybe.  But I’m not sure how much help this would be. 
You can talk to a monk and get a feel what they might do. 
You might be able to start getting information here:

https://www.childlinethailand.org/

Or:  www.bkkkids.com 

15 minutes ago, nikmar said:

hi again, quick update.

he sgot an old abandoned house to sleep in and neighbours are helpng. he s got food and somewhere to go for showers etc. it seems the neighbourhood is pulling together a bit for him which is heartwarming to see. 

i ve been to visit and provided food, toiletries he s got some clothes to wearas well. Poor kid has the square root of zero to his name.

ive been in touch with a couple of places and recieved some advice fro a remarkable lady in Pattaya. The upshot is , we have been told to call back to a centre in Klong Toei on Monday. He s safe, clean and fed for now and will survive the weekend. He has been offered casual work for a little money as well.

i ll see what can be done at the centre on Monday.

Excuse spelling mistakes - i left me bloody glsses at work didnt I!!

A little collect  for his future for clothes etc could be an idea. We have done that before in other groups. Takes a little bit effort from you, but it could be worth it if admins allow it to make a thread. Then Make a gofound me page where members can give 100 baht each once and awhile when needed for phone clothes, school, etc

Edited by Hummin
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Hummin said:

A little collect  for his future for clothes etc could be an idea. We have done that before in other groups. Takes a little bit effort from you, but it could be worth it if admins allow it to make a thread. Then Make a gofound me page where members can give 100 baht each once and awhile when needed for phone clothes, school, etc

Lovely idea. Lets see how it goes on monday , and what i can provide. Thanks

Contact a local orphanage, children's home, or a local NGO serving youths. They will know all of the government and charity foundation resources available in your area. They will also have some insight into evaluating the boys true situation.

It's nice that you care. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a tricky one.  As others have said, as much as you could be a positive influence on the boy, having him in close proximity to your son would likely lead him astray.  Unless your positive influence is so strong that it causes him to completely turn his life around.  Not impossible, but it's quite the risk to take, and once you took him in, it would be difficult to then turf him out again if things go bad.

Even if you were to rent a room somewhere for him, it might put him in a slightly better position, but then you might be considered on the hook for anything he does, and you can't really know exactly what his behaviour will be like in the future.

It's really sad, as you hear a lot of stories of children being pretty much left to fend for themselves in Thailand.  Local people often don't seem particularly concerned and there doesn't seem to be any authority caring for them.

It's good that you're even thinking about the situation.  I hope you're able to do something.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, nikmar said:

He's got an old abandoned house to sleep in and neighbours are helping.  He's got food and somewhere to go for showers etc.  It seems the neighbourhood is pulling together a bit for him which is heart-warming to see. 

If he's willing to do that, it makes his claims seem pretty genuine.  Good to know he at least has a roof over his head.

What about schooling?

18 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Maybe the kid is lying abt his ' abusive' uncle

He might be hoping to be taken in by you and get an instant upgrade.

Any home for orphans will probably be worse than the uncle.

Try to establish the true situation and assume the kid will be lying or at the very least over-stating his case.

You mention he liked thieving.

Lying isn't a far stretch.

It's the national sport here.

Girls can always go on the game and lie to punters while boys need to steal as well as lie.

Did I miss anything?

5 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If he's willing to do that, it makes his claims seem pretty genuine.  Good to know he at least has a roof over his head.

What about schooling?

Schooling os the thing here. He can survive here but he s an intelligent kid who d do well if he had access to a good education.

Im hoping the organisation im taking him to on monday can help him there. 

Im also wondering about counselling as he  may be more traumatized than he s showing.

The bloody government dont seem to care enough to provide for street kids.

Further update for thr interested.

We got a government organisation to take an interest. the problem is he s 15 / 16 and not a child. Alos , obviously, the main priority is young girls in trouble . But there s people aware of his situation and some  one is going to visit him to advise.

Meanwhile, he is helping a local food seller for 2 squares and 50 bt a day.

and people are watchnig out for him. after talking to someone, he seems a lot happier. 

thanksfor all help and support. It s looking just a little bit brighter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 5:40 PM, nikmar said:

Further update for thr interested.

We got a government organisation to take an interest. the problem is he s 15 / 16 and not a child. Alos , obviously, the main priority is young girls in trouble . But there s people aware of his situation and some  one is going to visit him to advise.

Meanwhile, he is helping a local food seller for 2 squares and 50 bt a day.

and people are watchnig out for him. after talking to someone, he seems a lot happier. 

thanksfor all help and support. It s looking just a little bit brighter.

Good to read that.

• Like 1