Freshwater species in Isaan, a few pointers required

Kenny202

Was a very keen fisherman in Australia but mainly ocean and salt water river fishing. Mostly towards the end of my time there generally used soft plastics.

have had a few cracks here in rivers...even a fish farm with zero result. Too be honest not terribly interested in catching Carp and Catfish....considered rubbish fish / pests back home, but I would like to introduce the kids to fishing. Last time I went with a friend and he was using cake for bait! and actually catching fish. Horrible looking rig too, huge sinker.....berley cage etc. I always prefer to fish light if possible.

The place I will be taking them fishing is a pay fishing park thing. Mostly Catfish and Carp and the like I imagine. Can anyone suggest a rig, bait to use. Floats? Bottom type rig? Baits? 

General rule back home early morning / evening best time as the fish are more apt to explore etc without the sun overhead. Does that apply here?

Any help much appreciated

But a lot of the fish here are vegetarians, they won't touch worms. the metal spring with the flying hooks you wrap around a ball of bread or cake based bait fished on the bottom is the most successful, you can float fish but you're constantly changing the bait and you really need to groundbait if you're going to stay in one spot float fishing.

Spinning, topwater lures for snakeheads is fun, but you'll need to move around a lot to catch much...

Most people seem to use coarse fishing rigs here. Like you, I prefer to fish light and with the simplest set-up possible. Fishing parks are probably best for kids as they have shade/food etc. for the kids if the fishing gets boring.

Nearly all of Thailand lakes and rivers are heavily netted and it's hard to find a reliable spot using the pot luck method. In Australia, any river that looks inviting will always have fish. In Thailand, becasue of the fishing pressure, you need to know the best seasons or be prepared to travel off the beaten track.

Another reliable fishing method is to know someone who has private stocked dams on their property. This is probably best for kids as they are usually guaranteed to catch something. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zyphodb said:

But a lot of the fish here are vegetarians...

Not correct.

Most fresh water rivers and lakes will have tilapia, snakehead, carp, catfish, file fish, eels, arapia, bpla khao, bpla sia, blap boh, tarpon, barramundi, et al.  ALL OF WHICH will feed on regular garden worms.

In my experience the kids enjoy digging the worms just as much as the fishing.

1 hour ago, Stevemercer said:

Most people seem to use coarse fishing rigs here. Like you, I prefer to fish light and with the simplest set-up possible. Fishing parks are probably best for kids as they have shade/food etc. for the kids if the fishing gets boring.

Nearly all of Thailand lakes and rivers are heavily netted and it's hard to find a reliable spot using the pot luck method. In Australia, any river that looks inviting will always have fish. In Thailand, becasue of the fishing pressure, you need to know the best seasons or be prepared to travel off the beaten track.

Another reliable fishing method is to know someone who has private stocked dams on their property. This is probably best for kids as they are usually guaranteed to catch something. 

I have to disagree entirely here regarding fishing parks.  They are set up for lazy Thai men.  Not young boys.  Young lads would much rather be out in the scrub, covered in mud. And to the OP's main point...is he trying to teach them to be real fishermen, hunting for wildfish...or just another lazy, whiskey drinking Somchai shooting fish in a barrel at a park?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

Yeah agree. Mate of mine uses a huge coil berley bomb thing, huge sinker and 3 way hook.....with cake lol. Massive rod and reel too. Just in a very small pond. He does catch fish though but not really my idea of fun  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

OP...where are you located? If we know that we can give better advice.  And are the kids you want to take fishing just young boys...or are there girls as well.

NE Thailand, Isaan. Don't really see the need for the question girls or boys but since you asked 2 x 7yo boys

2 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

NE Thailand, Isaan. Don't really see the need for the question girls or boys but since you asked 2 x 7yo boys

The reason why I enquired if there were young girls is because they would be seeking the shade more than young lads (because of the black skin issue)...and so would probably be more comfortable at a fishing park not out in the scrub.

But if you are so offended by my attempt to help you I will leave you to fend for yourself.

Welcome to my ignore list.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Adumbration said:

The reason why I enquired if there were young girls is because they would be seeking the shade more than young lads (because of the black skin issue)...and so would probably be more comfortable at a fishing park not out in the scrub.

But if you are so offended by my attempt to help you I will leave you to fend for yourself.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Is this guy for real?  Zero social skills and zero self awareness

Edited by Kenny202
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2023 at 8:24 PM, Kenny202 said:

Have had a few cracks here in rivers...even a fish farm with zero result. Too be honest not terribly interested in catching Carp and Catfish....considered rubbish fish / pests back home, but I would like to introduce the kids to fishing. Last time I went with a friend and he was using cake for bait! and actually catching fish. Horrible looking rig too, huge sinker.....berley cage etc. I always prefer to fish light if possible.

The place I will be taking them fishing is a pay fishing park thing. Mostly Catfish and Carp and the like I imagine. Can anyone suggest a rig, bait to use. Floats? Bottom type rig? Baits? 

General rule back home early morning / evening best time as the fish are more apt to explore etc without the sun overhead. Does that apply here?

Any help much appreciated

First, where to fish. Unless you have a running river near you, bear in mind that most smaller ponds (some very small) have an owner. It may look neglected, but usually they will be netted/pumped dry once or twice a year. Owners may not take kindly to you fishing there without permission. Also the banks are often steep and slippery clay, so safety is an issue (particularly with kids). Khlongs may be free, but often polluted. So yes, best bet is probably a fishing park or private pond. Three or four of us used to fish the parks, but some were an absolute ripoff - One was 200 baht a day but in 8 man days fishing we only caught one fish. Now i just fish my own ponds - much more likely to catch something, and more variety of species. As most Thais fish to eat, a pond can be cleared out pretty quick - a large pond very close to us is free currently but many thai anglers use 3 or more rods at a time there. You will need to do a fair bit of research to find the best places; there are some upmarket lakes stocked with large fish but also expensive and not really suitable for kids. Try speaking to other local expats, if you find a few anglers they can give good local advice - or maybe they have a farm pond you can wet a line in.

In the parks, mainly striped catfish, because they are tough and can survive a lot of fishing pressure. Other fish are mainly Java barb or Tilapia and assorted types of carp. For the catfish you will need fairly heavy gear - 10 lb line, ledger tackle. If Tilapia and barbs, can go lighter - 6lb line (possibly with a lighter trace) and float tackle. My personal ponds have mekong and striped catfish, java barb, Tilapia, a few carp, Climbing perch, snakeskin Gourami and snakeheads. Also a few giant gourami and Pacu.

Baits - most fish here are mainly vegetarians, so bread (or cake!), sticky rice will work; worms as well but hard to get in dry season. Also fruit, prawns, small bits of chicken, liver, even a bit of cabbage can work. Snakeheads are predatory but hard to catch - have good eyesight and will ignore a lure if they know you are there. ground baiting will pull more fish to your swim, particularly the herbivores. Time of day? before noon or after 4 p.m. Amazing how bites slow down at midday!

Tackle - hard to get very light lines or very small hooks here - I buy those in the UK.

• 2 months later...