Problems with social security receiving form 7162

steveb5

I sent the first form 7162 by air mail post and after calling the social security office it was never received. I sent a second form after receiving a second notice by registered mail and after tracking it  after 2 months its still hasn't been delivered. I also faxed it. Last night I called social security and they told me again they have not received anything and said they may have received it but it hasn't been scanned into the system. I asked the Lady what should I do  and she said she will send me another form on Monday and then try mailing it again. She told me she will make a note in my file and as of this time they have not cut my benefits. When I ask her about how about the fax that I sent she said it's another department and it was never scanned into the system. Anyone have any suggestions what should I do

One thing to do, perhaps, is to login on my social security, if you have an account. The first page about half way down will indicate whether your account is active or not in green letters. At least I assume this will tell you that. I've never had my SS stopped and it says it is active now. I hope that at least might indicate whether your from was scanned and submitted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

One thing to do, perhaps, is to login on my social security, if you have an account. The first page about half way down will indicate whether your account is active or not in green letters. At least I assume this will tell you that. I've never had my SS stopped and it says it is active now. I hope that at least might indicate whether your from was scanned and submitted.

Good advice. I checked my online account and it shows green color and Active. It also says next payment due February 03. Stress gone!! PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I just received an email from SSA in Manila that said they had not received my form. I sent on November 7 and it was received on November 14. I sent my in 1040 form to Austin TX and my 1 year report to 

Address: 7 Wilkes-Barre Blvd, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702, United States

Just curious, did you contact Manila to see if your form was received and scanned? What did they tell you to do now? Did they say if your benefits are being suspended?

50 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Just curious, did you contact Manila to see if your form was received and scanned? What did they tell you to do now? Did they say if your benefits are being suspended?

I did not send it to Manila. Contact information is my firt post. I did send them an email  they did recevied it this 2:30 pm this afternoon and  have verfication from them. I sent 1 letter to Austin TX and  7162   to 

14. I sent my in 1040 form to Austin TX and my 1 year report to 

Address: 7 Wilkes-Barre Blvd, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702, United States

I'm not sure why, maybe it's our local post office's fault, but I never got any of the first nor the second notices of 7162 last year. Hence, I decided to just fill out a blank form and sent it to Wilkes Barr first week of December last year.  That surely didn't work.  On Wednesday (Feb. 01), I received an email from FBU Manila informing me that SSA have not received the barcoded form that they sent me last year, and that I had to fill out a blank form and sent it to them, that's FBU Manila ASAP, to avoid suspension of my benefits.  I hurriedly filled out one and sent it via special courier service yesterday.  I was worried that I won't get paid this February because I knew that suspension of benefits for non-receipt of the form by them starts on February.  However, to my surprise, my monthly benefit was deposited today when I checked my bank account online.  I guess, they must have changed the deadline before suspension is done for this year because some of us really either got the form very late or not at all.  SSA can also be merciful after all.,,LOL!

I’ve have not received an email from FBU Manila about payment suspended. Mail took a long time to reach Wilkes-Barre but finally showed as delivered. 

i get paid on the 3rd of month and I’m waiting patiently for the notice deposit has been made to my bank, 

if it’s not received who should I contact? I don’t have “my social security” account although I tried it

Wouldn’t work. 

- Should I call US Social Security? If someone has the phone number I’d appreciate it.

- Or call Manila? anyone have the number? 

- Or email Manila? 

The next nightmare if monthly payment is not received in February IO won’t accept skipped month 

Even though last time they said they understood but no go. 

Thanks for any help.. would be appreciated…

23 minutes ago, Migz said:

However, to my surprise, my monthly benefit was deposited today when I checked my bank account online.  I guess, they must have changed the deadline before suspension is done for this year because some of us really either got the form very late or not at all. 

I'm starting to wonder if SSI made such a mess of it that they are just going ahead and maintaining eligibility automatically for another year. And maybe try again next year. It's clear to me that the problem is at the US end of things, not Thailand. ThaiPost has been pretty reliable, especially since I took out a PO Box.

• 1 month later...

The US embassy hosted an online SSA town hall with FBU Manila this morning. According to the man from FBU, suspensions started in March, not as they usually do in February. So, if you didn't get your SSA payment the past few days, that might be the reason.

On 2/3/2023 at 4:17 PM, John Drake said:

I'm starting to wonder if SSI made such a mess of it that they are just going ahead and maintaining eligibility automatically for another year. And maybe try again next year. It's clear to me that the problem is at the US end of things, not Thailand. ThaiPost has been pretty reliable, especially since I took out a PO Box.

I was chit chatting with an IRS rep, and brought the issue up, and she said the Wilkes Barre facility is aware of the problem, and trying to resolve it.

Actually gave me a few ph# to call if not resolved.  I didn't bother retaining them, as calling IRS or SS from TH has always ended the same way, put on hold for 20 mins, then disconx. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I was chit chatting with an IRS rep, and brought the issue up, and she said the Wilkes Barre facility is aware of the problem, and trying to resolve it.

Actually gave me a few ph# to call if not resolved.  I didn't bother retaining them, as calling IRS or SS from TH has always ended the same way, put on hold for 20 mins, then disconx. ????

Something that came out of the embassy Town Hall meeting this morning was a mention by FBU Manila that things were in the works to be able to submit Form 7162 through the SSA website: MySocialSecurity. According to him, they are trying to incorporate many other services through the newly relaunched site as  well.  

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Something that came out of the embassy Town Hall meeting this morning was a mention by FBU Manila that things were in the works to be able to submit Form 7162 through the SSA website: MySocialSecurity. According to him, they are trying to incorporate many other services through the newly relaunched site as  well.  

Won't help unless they allow people with foreign addresses to have online account. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Won't help unless they allow people with foreign addresses to have online account. 

He said they are arranging that, too. I got my account years ago while residing in Thailand with no problem. I authenticate through a code mailed to my email account. New ones will now require ID.ME. There was actually quite a bit of info discussed in today's session. Embassy says it will continue to offer these in the future.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Literally impossible to sign up / register on the SS online site from overseas ... I've tried numerous times.

Edited by KhunLA

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Literally impossible to sign up / register on the SS online site from overseas ... I've tried numerous times.

As I said above, the representative said that issue is being addressed. Frankly, I didn't even know it was a problem until it was mentioned this morning. I registered for my account about six or seven years ago with no problem and did so while living here in Thailand and enrolled in SSA with a Thai address and phone number. FWIW, FBU also said they are hiring more staff, some of whom are just coming on in time to deal with all the SSA suspensions. Also said that the number of federal beneficiaries has grown somewhat recently. 

Edited by John Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 6:25 AM, Migz said:

Latest advisory from FBU-Manila:

image.png.a0b6cf554091e9d725c33150c9d65387.png

Waste of time. Even tho I mailed the first 7162 back to the SSA from within the U.S in Aug, I still got a second notice in Oct. I mailed that back and tracked it to delivery in Dec.  Numerous attempts to contact Manila to obtain status on whether I was on the possible suspension list were either not successful in reaching them by phone OR their web portal, or were never answered after they DID receive my request for assistance by email. I started trying to get their assistance starting last Dec...never heard anything from them.  Being cutoff could potentially be avoided if they had bothered to do their jobs when they were contacted to verify the 7162 status of the person who made requests...

22 hours ago, KhunLA said:

KhunLa and Sheryl, 

It can be done with a Thai address and phone number. I did it last year. It was cumbersome and you have to have a live interview, but I was approved on the spot.

This is with ID.Me and the codes sent by them come to my Thai phone when I want to access my account.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, racyrick said:

KhunLa and Sheryl, 

It can be done with a Thai address and phone number. I did it last year. It was cumbersome and you have to have a live interview, but I was approved on the spot.

This is with ID.Me and the codes sent by them come to my Thai phone when I want to access my account.

Means impossible for me, and every attempt to even sign up failed, and as stated, calling was always 20min hold then disconx.   So I don't bother any more. 

Don't need them anyway, though doing things online, if needed, would be convenient, if convenient to register/sign up.

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Means impossible for me, and every attempt to even sign up failed, and as stated, calling was always 20min hold then disconx.   So I don't bother any more. 

Don't need them anyway, though doing things online, if needed, would be convenient, if convenient to register/sign up.

Understand, but just to be clear, I did the entire process online direct with ID.me. I did not make any calls and the SSA was not involved.

I just went to the SSA website and hit the ID.me button and then hit sign up.

7 minutes ago, racyrick said:

Understand, but just to be clear, I did the entire process online direct with ID.me. I did not make any calls and the SSA was not involved.

I just went to the SSA website and hit the ID.me button and then hit sign up.

From TH ?

If so, things have improved greatly.