Thailand welcomed 11.15 million foreign arrivals in 2022, smashing 10 million target

snoop1130

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I know you like to promote this image, but it is hard to believe all you write. Where are these independent Chinese travelers, because all I and many see are the large groups looking far far from independent.. they have to be led around and herded? Linguistically unable to be independent. They must be well spread out in more up market tourist spots. 

The fact that they were here in such great numbers, far far more than any other Nations, is why, in total, they likely spend the most. Per capita that figure will not stand up. Their spending surely benefits the economy, but there are  costs associated... there were complaints of them creating damage at many attractions.... their sheer numbers (again in these tour groups you deny) made them obvious. If the numbers return, the complaints will too.....

I'm not promoting 'this image' or 'denying' tour groups.   I am simply citing a fact from the Bureau of Statistics--which has no stake or ax to grind on whatever the figures end up being.  My point is to correct misperceptions--some of which I have had.   I've said several times that I was also surprised at the 61% figure.  Obviously, a big bus of tour group Chinese makes far more of an impression than a Chinese family or couple traveling independently, quietly going about their business.   Perceptions can be faulty. 

Yes, as I have already posted, Chinese, and other Asian visitors, spend less than visitors from America and Europe.  As I have also already said, Middle Eastern visitors spent the most in 2019--72,000 baht each.  But, in 2019 there were less than 100,000 of them.  I'll also ask again, would you rather have 100,000 checks for 72,000 baht sent to you or would you rather have 10.9 million checks for 48,000 baht sent to you?  I'm going to choose the latter.   Which provides more benefit to the Thai economy?   Obviously, the latter, as well.  

While tourists benefit the economy, there is no denying that too many can be too much of a good thing--true for other places and not just Thailand.  (Hello, Venice.)   Thailand at some point will need to address how much is too much; but that doesn't seem to be anytime soon when they are crowing about possibly 80 million tourists in a few years--more than the entire population of the country.  

Edited by newnative
double comment
  • Like 2