Damaging to Thailand's reputation?

sambum

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Title should have been "Confidence and trust damaged by rampant corruption at the core of Thai Society and government institutions"

Yes, I thought of that, but there wasn't enough room due to the bold text required! ???? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't consider myself to be "lucky" so perhaps it's something that goes on mainly in Thai circles, rather than those that farangs live in.

I think, maybe, that because you are considering corruption whereby you are the oen being tapped up.  The biggest areas of corruptness are with civil service budgets, especially at provincial level. Some say ;+) each office is a well oiled machine of money scraping and distribution.

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

People keep saying that, but perhaps surprisingly I never experienced any corruption from any official in all my years there.

I don't consider myself to be "lucky" so perhaps it's something that goes on mainly in Thai circles, rather than those that farangs live in.

My Thai wife has a share in a reasonably sized rice farm in Esan, left to her and her relatives when a relative died.

"The man" came from the Land Office to measure up and mark out on some plans what was due to everybody, for which they had to pay for his time, and the cost of legitimising/registering the plans.

After a year, nobody had received any notifications, so one of the family went to the Land Office to make enquiries. Apparently, the plans had never been registered with them/lost, and the family had to pay for the whole process to be done again!!! TIT! 

On 1/27/2023 at 11:46 AM, MRToMRT said:

Title should have been "Confidence and trust damaged by rampant corruption at the core of Thai Society and government institutions"

So true MRT, corruption is ingrained into the Thai society from birth. Its like the Thais are born with a corruption gene.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2023 at 9:05 AM, jak2002003 said:

Do you go out of your house?  Have you just lived here a year or so? 

LOL. Are you just an unlucky person?

Only time I was stopped by a cop he didn't ask for anything, just sent me to the office to pay 200 baht fine ( with receipt ) for expired registration. If that's corrupt I can live with it.

I hated immigration, but never asked for an "extra" payment.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:13 PM, sambum said:

My Thai wife has a share in a reasonably sized rice farm in Esan, left to her and her relatives when a relative died.

"The man" came from the Land Office to measure up and mark out on some plans what was due to everybody, for which they had to pay for his time, and the cost of legitimising/registering the plans.

After a year, nobody had received any notifications, so one of the family went to the Land Office to make enquiries. Apparently, the plans had never been registered with them/lost, and the family had to pay for the whole process to be done again!!! TIT! 

I gather your wife is Thai, so my comment about happening in Thai circles stands. It's not your land, after all.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:34 PM, MRToMRT said:

I think, maybe, that because you are considering corruption whereby you are the oen being tapped up.  The biggest areas of corruptness are with civil service budgets, especially at provincial level. Some say ;+) each office is a well oiled machine of money scraping and distribution.

Perhaps, but never affected me directly or indirectly.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I gather your wife is Thai, so my comment about happening in Thai circles stands. It's not your land, after all.

The first line of my post specifically mentions that my wife is Thai, and I didn't say it was my land!

And I wasn't contradicting your post - if anything, I was supporting it - by pointing out that the (THAI) family had to pay the (THAI) Land Registry Department twice for a job that should have been done properly in the first place!

(I mentioned the fact that a member of the family had to check "what was happening" more than a year later, only to find that the original paperwork had not been filed/or had been "lost", so THEY (The family!) had to pay for the job to be done again)

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looking forward in the coming years to comment on an RTP story that's not mired in greed and corruption ???? 

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a BIB helping a lady change the wheel on her car after she had a puncture ! Mind, as I said, that was a few years ago!  

• Haha 2