Windows 11 Search fault

toast1

After reinstalling Windows 11, everything worked fine with Search.

Then it would only search for files in OneDrive.

I uninstalled OneDrive as I don't use it.

Now it will not search for any files on my PC.

I have to go to Documents, then to Search In File Folder.

Search has completely stopped working - any clues on how to get it working again?

19 minutes ago, toast1 said:

In general it is not a good idea to uninstall anything that comes with Windows even if you don't need it.

People who test functions have seldom PCs with things "missing".

Obviously search should work without OneDrive, but maybe nobody tested it, and maybe it is just not important enough for Microsoft to fix such a problem.

If you don't use OneDrive you won't have any advantages if you remove it. It uses almost no resources. Just don't use it if you don't want to use it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've always uninstalled OneDrive, never had a problem in the past.

When I search it brings up OneDrive files, which I don't want to see as I have things in there I rarely use.

But thanks for the info.

Edited by toast1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, toast1 said:

Very useful as a back up tool, and to be able to access your files from anywhere on whichever device you have it installed on. I personally couldn't do without it, having all my movies and music stored on a One Drive folder on my 'office' PC, and can access them instantly over my local network. 

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Very useful as a back up tool, and to be able to access your files from anywhere on whichever device you have it installed on. I personally couldn't do without it, having all my movies and music stored on a One Drive folder on my 'office' PC, and can access them instantly over my local network. 

Which gives hackers more vectors to hack your data.  Just saying.....

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Which gives hackers more vectors to hack your data.  Just saying.....

Used it continually for over 10 years when it was Sky Drive. Never had anything hacked, but if someone wants the complete works of The Beatles & Beach Boys, they are more than welcome to them.

32 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

In general it's not a good idea to upgrade any version of Windows until at least the second update.

It depends.

I have on a relative new notebook Windows 11 and it works without problem.

And I still have on my main desktop PC Windows 10 and it works without problems.

And I have no real reason to upgrade the desktop. Until now I don't think there is anything in 11 which I miss.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In general it is not a good idea to uninstall anything that comes with Windows even if you don't need it.

People who test functions have seldom PCs with things "missing".

Obviously search should work without OneDrive, but maybe nobody tested it, and maybe it is just not important enough for Microsoft to fix such a problem.

If you don't use OneDrive you won't have any advantages if you remove it. It uses almost no resources. Just don't use it if you don't want to use it.

A much more practical suggestion would be to not have anything to do with Windows/Microsoft. 

Problems resolved.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

A much more practical suggestion would be to not have anything to do with Windows/Microsoft. 

Problems resolved.

No

There are easy understandable reasons why most people use Windows.

1) It's easy to understand and learn and a Windows PC is almost anywhere.

2) If people have any problem they can ask many others (with different knowledge levels) to help them.

Maybe parents ask their children. And maybe the children look in a forum or YouTube.

This works 99% of the time.

What are the alternatives?

Apple? With maybe 1/5 of the users of Windows?

Or Linux, with 1/30 of the users?

Or should we pretend that Linux is easier than Windows and it always works? No!

5f3931dea570651394e36a57_desktop-operati

13 minutes ago, damole said:

Have you checked Indexing Options in Control Panel?  I always set the folders I want searched each time I install Windows.

image.png.e74ab5627170ff12fbadb17e466d3704.png

The default settings are pretty good.

If you don't save your data in "exotic" locations, then the search does normally work. 

I awlays partition my drive and so all data is on D plus I have other folders apart from Users on D too so I need to change the default options.  Plus I think it's just a good idea to know where Windows is searching anyway but sure the defaul options work for most cases.

8 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Problems resolved.

I see it the same way and I was Microsoft user from the first days. For me Android is much better. There are for sure reasons to use Microsoft or Linux on a PC if you use applications that need a lot of power. I even used RAID 0 with several disks to get more speed. But these days are gone - at least for me. I still have my PC (with XP, 7, 8.1 and 10) and a notebook (with 7 and 10). But I hardly use them in the meantime. Mostly I sit with my Android tablet in the bed. Much more convenient and enough for me nowadays. Yes, I am getting old...