Safest Thai Bank

Nam Kao

What kind of rip-off are you talking about? I've never heard of ANY Thai bank "ripping off" farangs. Or are you one of these paranoid, racist farangs that think all Thais are out to get them? If so, why on earth are you here?

Kasikorn (Thai Farmers) Bank ripped me off.......they charged me the exhorbitant fee (deposit) of 100 baht to open an account..... :o Other than that the only problem I have is trying to access their internet banking system........they have an incredible ability to make things extremely difficult when it should be easy. When you first apply for the internet access, they send you a code.....then a few days later they send another one and you have to change the first one.......this is where it gest tricky. When I enter the new code to change the old one, the whole things closes down and locks up.......then I have to call for a new set of codes and start the whole process again. I am onto my third attempt.

yep.. been with thai farmers bank for 3 years and the only problem i had was shen i transfered over a large sum of money,they froze my account until i went in to explain what it was for.

wouldnt have minded so much except that i was in pattaya at the time and couldnt get money out.

never seem to get any bank statements though,only when i update in my passbook.

but very happy with them.

About 5 years I transfer money (THB) to krung thai every month. They used to charged me 250 baht. The last few months they start charged me 750. I tried to ask krung Thai in Udon Thani, but they can not give me an answerd, becuse my account is in Samui. A phone to samui dont helped me anything, just told me to come to the bank. 750 for put money in my account, 20 bath everytime I used ATM. Should i find another bank?

Kasikorn Bank (Formerly Thai Farmer's Bank) has always been good to me for almost 20 years

But, their bureaucracy can be a pain...They have been getting tighter about account transfers, too. They told me that they are new BoT rules regarding money laundering. When I opened another new account recently, even though I transferred the money from another Kasikorn account, I had to fill out extra forms to state where the funds originated, and what the funds were planned for....

I am not paranoid, I had a BB account cleaned out. I opened it and didnt

use it for awhile, maybe they thought i forgot about it and took the opportunity.

Also my wife is thai and has heard many horror stories of banks ripping off thais also.

Thanks for all the advice

I have always used SCB,they give me good service,never have screwed up the acct,and I can transfer money from a US bank with my US banks visa ATM/Check card for 60 baht per transfer to my SCB acct.and it keeps immigration happy. :o

Experiences ??

During my recent trip, I took money out of ATM's from several banks (Siam, Bangkok, Ayutthaya and another, IIRC) in several towns and cities and experienced no problems, either at the time or subsequent. I even got decent exchange rates.

From all the past posts, it seems as though there could be an occasional incident. But I don't see where this is some sort of epidemic where bank employees are running rampant to spot and rip-off every falang that appears on the surveillance monitor.

That would be just bad business, and I think banks by and large, aren't in the habit of making bad business. Bad business eventually makes for no business.