Snail Mail: Thailand Post apologises for late delivery after lady misses out on university bursary

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Late delivery!

Thailand Post has apologized to a lady who has missed out on a bursary to attend nursing college after a letter arrived very late.

Ketnipha Homsai had asked why the letter sent on December 10th had just reached her - two weeks after the end of the application period. 

In a news release the postal service promised an inquiry.

They said the letter concerned had a normal stamp on it and it would take a while to ascertain why it was so late, reported Daily News

They then followed that with rhetoric about developing their networks, technology and personnel to the satisfaction of their customers. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

I'd wager that many postmen simply dump much of their delivery mail because they're too lazy to be bothered to deliver it. We have received ONE letter since last April 2022 despite knowing we've been sent much more.

Complaints are met with nothing more than an acknowledgement of the problem.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, ezzra said:

But they have apologized, so it's all good, beside, Thai mail have never been known for it's outstanding service, so why the surprises here?...

IMO, they have an excellent service, 2 times/day 7days/week. What more can one ask for

• Haha 1

a few years ago I received bank letters from the UK , they were postmarked in November and one in December , they arrived in the following March with a bundle of Thai mail , 3 months of TOT bills and likewise UBC bills.

I reported this to Bangkok , our Amphur post office manager came to our house , apologised , gave us a little statuette and a mug , and asked us not to contact Bangkok again , if we had any trouble we were to contact him on his mobile.

A year or so later it started again , no mail for monthe , the wife called him and he told her to get in touch with the local postman and sort it out ourselves.

Customer Service or what !

• Thumbs Up 1

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet  we line at 9 Moo 8 and get our mail, also that for 9/1 and 9/2, (nobody seems to know where they are) plus 9/3 and 9/5 who are out neighbours. The postman has to go past them to get to us and also for my wife's old shop 9/4 which is 2 km further down the road.

Hong Kong Post sent me a series of letters over 18 months. They varied in delivery times from 8 days to 16 weeks. Due to the late/delayed arrival of the final letter I missed the deadline (by 3 weeks) to collect a HK$10,000 cheque (49,000 baht/exchange rate then). Thailand 4.0! 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still waiting on the Christmas cards my kids mailed on December 2nd from California

I am in a similar situation, but with cards from my friends in the UK. Unfortunately, postal workers were on strike prior to Christmas and International mail was just stockpiled. Still waiting today - 30th January, maybe the cards have disappeared into a "Royal Mail Blackhole" ??

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still waiting on the Christmas cards my kids mailed on December 2nd from California with priority mail....shows in Thailand on December 8th....yet....maybe Christmas 2024 they will arrive.

My Brother sent a Christmas card from Uk to here on Dec 2nd I got it January 7th.
Sister sent one from Oz Nov 29th, it got here yesterday.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, edwinchester said:

I'd wager that many postmen simply dump much of their delivery mail because they're too lazy to be bothered to deliver it. We have received ONE letter since last April 2022 despite knowing we've been sent much more.

Complaints are met with nothing more than an acknowledgement of the problem.

Exactly that happened to me. Received almost nothing for 18 months. Fortunately, the one or two that were delivered, purely due to an oversight by the postman who it later transpired was burning the mail as that was easier than delivering it, included correspondence from pension suppliers who needed me to confirm that I wasn't dead yet. A letter from my UK bank only arrived at their second attempt, which was centered around my needing to get some forms completed by a lawyer. There is a reason that some institutions, such as Visa, refuse to send cards to Thailand.

Never did find out what happened to the postman. I don't think he was jailed, as he would have been in my native UK for 'interrupting the King's mail'. His replacement is a family member so delivery is now assured.

• Thumbs Up 1

Snail mail ..tell me about it my pension posted a proof of life letter it was sent on the 24 December from France it arrived here 26 January problem being they needed it back by 1st Feb ain't going to get back in 5 days now is it  ..pension suspended for a while....Good old Thai mail..

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Exactly that happened to me. Received almost nothing for 18 months. Fortunately, the one or two that were delivered, purely due to an oversight by the postman who it later transpired was burning the mail as that was easier than delivering it, included correspondence from pension suppliers who needed me to confirm that I wasn't dead yet. A letter from my UK bank only arrived at their second attempt, which was centered around my needing to get some forms completed by a lawyer. There is a reason that some institutions, such as Visa, refuse to send cards to Thailand.

Never did find out what happened to the postman. I don't think he was jailed, as he would have been in my native UK for 'interrupting the King's mail'. His replacement is a family member so delivery is now assured.

just posted something similar about my proof of life letter over a month to get here certain suspension of pension ..just temporary I hope 

13 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

Snail mail ..tell me about it my pension posted a proof of life letter it was sent on the 24 December from France it arrived here 26 January problem being they needed it back by 1st Feb ain't going to get back in 5 days now is it  ..pension suspended for a while....Good old Thai mail..

Isn't there a number to call or other way to contact them to explain the delay in returning the form? I've done that before, as it isn't unusual for mail to take 2-3 weeks to arrive here.

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Still waiting on the Christmas cards my kids mailed on December 2nd from California with priority mail....shows in Thailand on December 8th....yet....maybe Christmas 2024 they will arrive.

I got a few from the UK mid January... I suspect the slower snails are over there. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Isn't there a number to call or other way to contact them to explain the delay in returning the form? I've done that before, as it isn't unusual for mail to take 2-3 weeks to arrive here.

no mate I've tried the deadline is stated..I've got my son in who still lives in France to try to do it also no luck he tried to call but only got a few hours of Mozart and Vivaldi..I'm just waiting now for them to get in touch   french aren't the quickest mate ..tks for the reply H