Chevrolet Captiva

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rented both the US version of the Captiva and the Ford Edge while on a trip to the States. The Chevy was OK, but outclassed in every way by the sexy BMW X-5/Lexus RX330-looking Edge. Little nits appeared with the Chevy--such as the cup holders are positioned on the floor tray between the front seats. Of course in the US they all have V-6 engines making them real peppy. Does anybody know if the Edge, perhaps under a different name badge, is coming to LOS? This is not the same SUV as the new Ford Ghia...completely different vehicle. We have agonized over buying a Fortuner vs CRV for months here. We took a long demo spin in both cars and came away completely dissatisfied with the harsh ride and engine rattle of thediesel Fortuner. The CRV is beautiful but pricey and has a small cargo carrying area. It's a hairdresser's car, while the Fortuner is a Thai road-control hog's heaven. Never seen a considerate Fortuner driver yet, always pushing to get past you no matter how fast you are driving.

Back to the topic though, resale value matters little to us as we plan to keep whatever vehicle we buy for a long time; but we do want a comfortable car that can handle long road trips and double as a grocery-getter. Captiva? CRV? No, not Fortuner!

I rented both the US version of the Captiva and the Ford Edge while on a trip to the States. The Chevy was OK, but outclassed in every way by the sexy BMW X-5/Lexus RX330-looking Edge. Little nits appeared with the Chevy--such as the cup holders are positioned on the floor tray between the front seats. Of course in the US they all have V-6 engines making them real peppy. Does anybody know if the Edge, perhaps under a different name badge, is coming to LOS? This is not the same SUV as the new Ford Ghia...completely different vehicle. We have agonized over buying a Fortuner vs CRV for months here. We took a long demo spin in both cars and came away completely dissatisfied with the harsh ride and engine rattle of thediesel Fortuner. The CRV is beautiful but pricey and has a small cargo carrying area. It's a hairdresser's car, while the Fortuner is a Thai road-control hog's heaven. Never seen a considerate Fortuner driver yet, always pushing to get past you no matter how fast you are driving.

Back to the topic though, resale value matters little to us as we plan to keep whatever vehicle we buy for a long time; but we do want a comfortable car that can handle long road trips and double as a grocery-getter. Captiva? CRV? No, not Fortuner!

Might be worth having a look at the Nissan X-Trail which was a car I knew nothing about until I read a review of it in the British magazine "what car" when they were doing a big road test including the new Land Rover Freelander, Toyota Rav 4 and a Hyundai I think. To cut a long story short, they really raved about the Nissan and how good it was in pretty much every area. Considering its price in Thailand - must be worth a look at least. They sell it here with a 2.5L petrol engine and I think its about 1.2m baht

Might be worth having a look at the Nissan X-Trail which was a car I knew nothing about until I read a review of it in the British magazine "what car" when they were doing a big road test including the new Land Rover Freelander, Toyota Rav 4 and a Hyundai I think. To cut a long story short, they really raved about the Nissan and how good it was in pretty much every area. Considering its price in Thailand - must be worth a look at least. They sell it here with a 2.5L petrol engine and I think its about 1.2m baht

butt ugly thou

post-15912-1183891397_thumb.jpg

post-15912-1183891481_thumb.jpg

I saw this car at Esplanade mall about 8 days ago, i liked it also very much...

Today i went to see the new CRV, it's ok, but i still like Captiva much better..

Called the Chevy dealer and they said they will have diesel early August... not now..

Need to test drive it... problem is they dont have any diesel, so they said, so... i ll need to wait...

But if it's good as it looks i ll go for this one.. Much nicer than the other option for that price...

Looks nice...but resale?

well now i have an honda that i bought (new) in 2004, in only 3 years lost almost half of its original value..

chevrolet-captiva2.jpg

Captiva-16-464.jpg

looks little bit like the volvo x70?

Volvo%20XC90%20Sport%20front2.jpg

Spoke to a Thai neigbor who buys only Chevies....she deposited money on a Captiva earlier this year at the BITEC show only to find out a few months later that the only interior color offered is black (charcoal?). Not a best-seller in LOS due to the Thai's concern with black connoting death. She wrote to the Thai distributor asking if the vehicle would be offered in a tan trim but no response yet. Until they make that change, Chevy may be limiting itself in this and other Asian markets that have the same concern with the use of black colors.

What "Top Gear" has to say about the captiva

Chevrolet has a long heritage of building SUVs, especially of the Goliath variety for its home market in the US. Over here in the UK, Chevy has a clean slate as far as most buyers go, so it must tread carefully to build a good reputation.

The Captiva gets Chevy off to a better start than the re-branded Daewoos it's been pedalling since it arrived in the UK. The Captiva is not one Chevy's more usual super-sized SUVs, but a Euro-friendly shape that fits down our more slimline lanes.

Think of it along the same lines as the Hyundai Santa Fe or Kia Sorento and you're on the money, because the Captiva offers plenty of space for reasonable cash.

OK, so the Chevy will not worry the blue-bloods of the compact SUV scene such as the Land Rover Freelander or Toyota RAV4. This is because the Chevy has neither the on- or off-road dynamics to worry the best in class, and its softly sprung ride struggles to cope with sudden dips or ridges. There's also a fair degree of body lean in the bends.

Four-wheel drive is standard on all Captiva's, although it's the sort where the fronts do most of the work and the rears only come into play when its opposite numbers begin to falter on loose surfaces.

Power comes from either a 2.4-litre petrol engine or a 2.0-litre turbodiesel. Despite its greater capacity, the petrol engine has less power and torque, struggles with the Captiva's considerable weight and barn-like aerodynamics, and is less economical.

It is cheaper to buy than the diesel, but the 2.0-litre turbodiesel is the one to go for thanks to its 148bhp and 38.1mpg fuel consumption.

Another benefit of the diesel is it does not have to be worked as hard as the petrol to give its best, so is more refined. It also means you have to use the vague manual gearbox less, which is a blessing.

The gear lever sits in a central console that's well ordered and stylish, and even may of the plastics feel of reasonable quality. It's not up to Merc or Audi standards, but is good for this end of the SUV spectrum.

There's the usual high-set driving position in the Captiva, but it's real appeal lies in the rear seats where it can be ordered with a third row to make it a seven-seater.

All of the rear seats fold flat into the load floor, and the centre row's outer seats tumble forward to allow good access to the third row. Unsurprisingly, with the third row seats in use, the boot is of minimal use.

With relatively low pricing, the Captiva should give Chevrolet quiet cause for hope in the UK, especially when SUV sales in the US have taken a battering of late.

They gave it 3 out of 5 stars.... Test drive for me tomorrow.

Well I took the beast for a spin this afternoon BUT they did not have the diesel version so tried the top range LT petrol version.

Very comfortable and spacious inside with that wonderful new car smell. Everything is electronic (including seat positioning) so after a few adjustments we pulled out onto the bypass road. Visibility was amazing but I must admit this was my first drive in a SUV. Initial pull away felt slightly underpowered but once at 90 km/h she purred. Steering was responsive and light and the engine was very quiet. At Tesco's we turned left and headed for a "rough" road. I was able to overtake OK and the brakes worked well. Once we found the bumps I deliberately went for them and although you feel them there was a good cushion. Took the corners fast and felt very much in control with no lean. By the time we returned to the garage I knew this was the car of my dreams and easily backed into a narrow space helped by the 4 rear sensors. However it is the diesel I want so I told the sales girl to call me as soon as they get one and will test it again this time on a steep slope to try to get the AWD to kick in on the way up and the descent control on the way down. All in all a very satisfying first drive but a bit underpowered. From what I've read the extra horsepower of the diesel will make up for that. I know what I'll dream about tonight... :o

Hi

Tell us about it

They gave it 3 out of 5 stars.... Test drive for me tomorrow.

I've also read in a review that it's relatively low ground clearance is a clue to it's virtual no off road capabilities (to speak of).....that eliminates it from competing with Honda's CRV and leaving Toyota's Fortuner as my number one all-around choice.....

Edited by Lumock

But it's NOT a Daewoo.

That'd actually be an excellent suggestion to GM to put that line on the badge as well, like a sub-title:

Chevrolet - Captiva

"It's not a Daewoo!!"

It's merely built at The-Factory-Formerly-Known-As-Daewoo, by Korean people in South Korea, then sent to Thailand for assembly.

None of that would matter *IF* it was actually priced as a slightly-pimped-up-Daewoo. Unfortunately, it isn't. It's prices exactly the same as a Honda CRV, if not more.

Sorry but no cigar then, I'd say.

Depends on what trade in I get for my Optra.

Well, bend over.

And if you enjoyed the experience, you get to do it again when trading in the Captiva. :o

Edited by chanchao

An interesting report from the UK - not very impressive :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.j...it/mfchev23.xml

Hmm! Thanks for that (I think) Yes I've read some not so great revues but will wait until I drive the diesel before I decide. My second choice would be the new CRV but I really want diesel.

I agree.....after reading many reviews, the Captiva's listed negative points show that the CRV, also my second choice, beats out the Captiva, IMHO: I test drove the CRV (I don't like its new styling but would be more than happy with a 2.4L 2006 model) and it was very spacious with responsive (tight?) steering and has the ground clearance for any upcountry or torrential downfall that one may encounter.....It 'feels' mechanically sound and of overall quality while not exhibiting outright luxury.....'now' I know what makes a Honda a Honda :-)

The only negative is that for its price, it is only a 5 seater while Toyota's Fortuner (a 7 seater with more luxury[?] and a larger 2.7L engine), is somewhat less expensive......

I work for Vauxhall in the Uk and we are also launching this vehicle, badged as the Vauxhall Antara.

They chevy and the vauxhall only share the windscreen as Identicall parts, but look very similar.

Go and see for your self because it is a very well put together vehicle and I defy any of you to come back and tell me your not impressed with the way it drives!

Hondas are driven by pensioners, that wouldn't know good handling car if it crashed into their zimmer frame!

Mark

Edited by markr

I have found most of the driving test results to be very biased one way or another. In my opinion those reports are useless. What one describes as GOOD handling, another would describe as riding like a log wagon. My new Ford Focus drives like it's on rails and the ride is quite firm, meaning pretty too rough for me. The report on the Ford Focus said the ride was pretty soft with some body sway. CRAP! Soft according to who? Most have been a race car driver to have said that.

Drive a vehicle yourself to see how it feels. That's the ONLY way you'll know. I'd be FAR more interested in the number of warranty claims rather than driver's opinions. One statement that always makes me grin is describing the manual gearbox as clunky. Exactly WHAT is a clunky gear box? One car is described as being snappy yet another car that has a better 0 to 60 MPH time is described as sluggish. Do your own evaluation and then you will know.

The report on the Ford Focus said the ride was pretty soft with some body sway. CRAP! Soft according to who? Most have been a race car driver to have said that.

Right, and then they often adjust it a bit depending on what their perception is of the market-preference in a particular country or region. Then the tyres may vary which have a huge impact as well.

Edited by chanchao

The report on the Ford Focus said the ride was pretty soft with some body sway. CRAP! Soft according to who? Most have been a race car driver to have said that.

Right, and then they often adjust it a bit depending on what their perception is of the market-preference in a particular country or region. Then the tyres may vary which have a huge impact as well.

It came new with 16 inch low profile tires. It is fun and a pleasure to drive on the curves through the mountains, BUT, I'd be far happier with a softer ride for the other 98 percent of my driving. Maybe because it's the Ghia model?

Hi

Look good, i want it, someone wants to buy a Fortuner :o

send me the details and how much your after plus photos only bms and mercs asre better than toyota chevs are -rap had 1 for years when i lived in the states

Hi

That was a joke, well sort of, will try the Chevy, had a Colorado before, did not like it that much. If i am going to sell i will let you know.

Just in time: Bangkok Post review of Captiva (2.4l petrol)

....that brings us to other slight letdown of the Captiva.

With just roughly 100 kilos shy of the two-tonne mark, you can't consider the petrol engine as a truly efficient tool to carry around that amount of metal.

No, performance isn't lethargic, but just isn't fancy. Despite not being a high-revving engine (maximum power maxes out at just over 5,000rpm), it feels a tad lazy at times in the mid-ranges.

And when you need to make engine work harder, it starts to get coarse and noisy, let alone that it already feels vocal by today's standards of petrol engine under less strenuous driving.

Fuel consumption during our test drive wasn't brilliant either. We managed around 6kpl in city driving and 9kpl elsewhere. And consider that we were driving rather gently with just two persons on board...

...the best part of the Captiva: its driving characteristics."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Motoring/13Jul2007_motor02.php

If you read these reviews often enough you'd know how your own perception differs from reviews. Knowing Bangkok Post it means that driving characteristics are really good as they are usually very fussy about them. And the point about lack of power also seems fair.

Can't disagree with "latest Chevys feel accomplished in road manners - just like the Aveo and Optra which have good chassis, but so-so engines" either.

Re. origins "The Captiva... whose development has taken place in South Korea alongside the Opel Antara. "

They should offer the V6 overhere. More cubic inches doesn't mean more fuel consumption. A small high rewing engine uses sometimes more fuel than a biger engine. Because with a biger engine you don't need to pull your trottle pedal full to the floor when you want excelerate or pass other vehicles. You just cruising. BTW a V6 is much smouther and have more torque. But i don't think they will offer a V6 Version overhere. Every larger car lose theyr value rapidly, even Honda and Toyota, after 3 -4 years only half of the new price. Doesn't matter what brand you buy. The only vehicles who keep their prices are the Toyota and Isuzu Pick Up Trucks or the little ones, like Honda Jazz, City, Toyota Yaris, Vios, etc. But it remember me on the old days in the 70ties, when every farmer in Europe uses "VW Kafer". It was the best, they said. But it wasn't.

V6 means taxes. Camry with a v6 costs a million baht more. Only Accord managed to get a smaller, just under 3l and under 220hp barriers v6 engine, and keep the price close to the 2.4l version, and the result was still disappointing - no one buys them, relatively speaking.

But it's NOT a Daewoo.

That'd actually be an excellent suggestion to GM to put that line on the badge as well, like a sub-title:

Chevrolet - Captiva

"It's not a Daewoo!!"

It's merely built at The-Factory-Formerly-Known-As-Daewoo, by Korean people in South Korea, then sent to Thailand for assembly.

Its also developed on GM's Theta platform, which is one of GM's global platforms unlike the previous transitional GMDAT models which started development before Daewoo became part of GM.

For me the Captiva being a real GM product is just as real as the way most Asians view the Thai built Fortuner SUV and the Indonesian built Innova MPV and Avanza compact MPV as real Toyotas even if they are not built or sold in Japan, Europe or North America.

The more established brand in Korea is the doemstic Daewoo brand and not the "foreign" Chevrolet brand. I guess this expalins why the brand is still kept in the Korean domestic market.

Even new GM models like the large RWD Holden Statesman/Caprice and Saturn Sky roadster are rebadged as Daewoos for the Korean doemstic market.

Edited by AG4

More of the same - yes, it's built on Theta platform, but also :

"Engineering for the Opel Antara, Chevrolet Captiva, and the Saturn VUE was performed in large part in Korea by GM Daewoo Auto & Technology."

Saturn VUE was the first vehicle built on that plaform in 2002.

More of the same - yes, it's built on Theta platform, but also :

"Engineering for the Opel Antara, Chevrolet Captiva, and the Saturn VUE was performed in large part in Korea by GM Daewoo Auto & Technology."

Saturn VUE was the first vehicle built on that plaform in 2002.

The S3X/ Captiva was designed at GM's design center at Inchon, South Korea which is one of their 11 Global Design Studios.

At least we know that its based on the well proven GM Theta platform, I have no issues with the Captiva being a GMDAT Chevy.

I actually like its styling, I was surprised that it looks almost like the S3X concept, only thing missing are the concept SUV's 20 inch wheels.

Edited by AG4

V6 means taxes. Camry with a v6 costs a million baht more. Only Accord managed to get a smaller, just under 3l and under 220hp barriers v6 engine, and keep the price close to the 2.4l version, and the result was still disappointing - no one buys them, relatively speaking.

you might be able to get an aftermarket chip for the accord to get the power up chip

I work for Vauxhall in the Uk and we are also launching this vehicle, badged as the Vauxhall Antara.

They chevy and the vauxhall only share the windscreen as Identicall parts, but look very similar.

Go and see for your self because it is a very well put together vehicle and I defy any of you to come back and tell me your not impressed with the way it drives!

Hondas are driven by pensioners, that wouldn't know good handling car if it crashed into their zimmer frame!

Mark

never seen a pensioner get out of a NSX before :o

post-15912-1184921156_thumb.jpg