Chevrolet Captiva

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

V6 means taxes. Camry with a v6 costs a million baht more. Only Accord managed to get a smaller, just under 3l and under 220hp barriers v6 engine, and keep the price close to the 2.4l version, and the result was still disappointing - no one buys them, relatively speaking.

you might be able to get an aftermarket chip for the accord to get the power up chip

I read before in a review that the engine of the LHD V6 Accord exported from Thailand to the Philippines has a US made V6 engine rated at 240hp.

I'm not sure if its only the chip thats different.

Edited by AG4

I just saw the new Captiva at Central World. Must say that it is nice, but short of a test drive I can only comment of these things:

1) Overall exterior fit and finish seems OK but the Gasoline/Fuel door seal is not good (rubber surround seems like it's going to come off)

2) Exterior side mirros seems large, obstrusive, it seemed out of place (personal styling opinion).

3) Closing the doors required more effort than CRV.

4) Overall interior fit and finish seems OK, but styling seems dated.

5) Nice option for a 3rd row seat, but only good for kids on short rides. A/C controls for rear passengers! not available on CRV.

6) Diesel option! Nice.

From what I heard and briefly read online, the Captiva is offering more saftey tech than the CRV for about the same price. Plus a diesel option. I think it will give the CRV a run for the money... Only time will tell how the Captiva will perform in Thailand.

I work for Vauxhall in the Uk and we are also launching this vehicle, badged as the Vauxhall Antara.

They chevy and the vauxhall only share the windscreen as Identicall parts, but look very similar.

Go and see for your self because it is a very well put together vehicle and I defy any of you to come back and tell me your not impressed with the way it drives!

Hondas are driven by pensioners, that wouldn't know good handling car if it crashed into their zimmer frame!

never seen a pensioner get out of a NSX before :o

Well, well...It seems our 'Captiva' is getting around under all sorts of guises........though there's no diesel option, at least this one will never be labeled 'under-powered'.......

2008 Saturn Vue

Edited by Ahnsahn

Hi

Look good, i want it, someone wants to buy a Fortuner :o

NO thanks.....Tried it as a driver or passenger.....Awfully hard ! I went to Pattaya from BKK, and back , and to Hua Hin from BKK and back....and I really feel it is hard hard hard.....Good space, everything in there, but hard !

Check the tyre pressures. Most dealers let you drive away with your new car with TPs at 50% over the manufacturer's recommended figures.

I just saw the new Captiva at Central World. Must say that it is nice, but short of a test drive I can only comment of these things:

1) Overall exterior fit and finish seems OK but the Gasoline/Fuel door seal is not good (rubber surround seems like it's going to come off)

2) Exterior side mirros seems large, obstrusive, it seemed out of place (personal styling opinion).

3) Closing the doors required more effort than CRV.

4) Overall interior fit and finish seems OK, but styling seems dated.

5) Nice option for a 3rd row seat, but only good for kids on short rides. A/C controls for rear passengers! not available on CRV.

6) Diesel option! Nice.

From what I heard and briefly read online, the Captiva is offering more saftey tech than the CRV for about the same price. Plus a diesel option. I think it will give the CRV a run for the money... Only time will tell how the Captiva will perform in Thailand.

Sat in the Captiva in Big C Pattaya last weekend and agree with all that is said above. There was a bit of a motor show going on so had a look round a few others as well. Kia - excellent trim spec and driver options but wouldn't touch another Korean car after a brief ownership of a Daewoo (same story for Captiva ??).

Ford Escape is looking a bit old these days.

Honda were not present at this show (snobs?). So as I was passing the Honda showroom with all this "fresh in my mind" I went in to have a look at the CRV. It looks good but bit disappointed with the interior and functionality provided. If you are going to pay circa 1.5M baht for a car you expect a little "luxury" inside.

I am now more confused than ever. I am looking to upgrade to a larger vehicle as I'm currently clocking about 500K a week and don't feel exactly safe in my Toyota saloon.

If someone will kindly give me another 4M baht I'll just go and buy the Harrier (Lexus) :o

I had a look at one in Rayong last week it's nice looking from the outside, the only comment about the interior is I would only want 5 seats not 7 but apart from that good value. It's residual value won't drop any more than a Crv have a look at a 2nd hand Crv so cheap.

No wonder GM are rapidly on the slide rebadging cheap Daewoo rubbish.

Built in South Korea = avoid.

You might as well buy a Ssongyang. The most hideous cars ever made.

My brother has a Ssangyong Korando - swears by it. (although he doesn't like the parts prices).

I will admit the Ssangyong MPV is the definition of ugly though...

The Captiva will take some sales from the CRV - from people who want a Diesel, or want the 7 seats. (and don't want a Fortuner).

It's only real problem is - it costs a couple of hundred thousand more than a Fortuner (for the Diesel), and although being a monocoque should mean it handles a little better - will people pick a Chevy over a Toyota when they're paying more for it.

The diesel version has finally arrived in Phuket. Off for a test drive on Saturday. Plan to take her over a rough and windy road, steep hill, fast (bypass) road. All this with family aboard. Any other tips to test her?

So, how was it?

I currently drive a Ford Escape V6. I love it except by the small problem I have. It pulls to the right all the time. I left it already for servicing about 5 or 6 times and they can't find what's wrong!!! And it still under warranty (only 1400 km run)!

Just left there again with some suggestions for them to check (yes, I have to do the technician work). Let's wait and see... If they can't solve I will probably return the car and go for a Fortuner (although I don't like that much). I also didn't like the new CRV.

Fred.

So, how was it?

I currently drive a Ford Escape V6. I love it except by the small problem I have. It pulls to the right all the time. I left it already for servicing about 5 or 6 times and they can't find what's wrong!!! And it still under warranty (only 1400 km run)!

Just left there again with some suggestions for them to check (yes, I have to do the technician work). Let's wait and see... If they can't solve I will probably return the car and go for a Fortuner (although I don't like that much). I also didn't like the new CRV.

Fred.

I'm going for a test drive in the Captiva (petrol eng). Price aside, how do you personally compare the CRV to the Fortuner? Which one feels to have more power, etc. and what other observations have you noted between the two?

Yeah, but I guess the problem is not so simple (or they are lying to me).

The first time I left the car there the guy took it to align (or at least told me so) and came with the news that the spring on the front-right side was out-of-spec and needed to be replaced. I had to wait over a week for the part to be ordered.

Then, in my second visit they replaced it and, according to them, alignment and balancing again...

So far, if my count is correct and they are not lying, the car has been aligned 5 times!!!

My guess is that I have one of the following:

1) One of my brakes on the right side is not releasing correctly.

2) The tires are not the same size (even though the specs/model are the same).

3) There is something wrong with the power steering wheel and its components.

4) They are lying to me and they never did a thing on my car (just added based on your suggestion)!

Anyway, I hope it's one of the first 3. If it's the fourth I think it's a pretty good reason to return the car!

Regards, Fred.

I always stop to ponder over Chevolet's slogan - We'll be there.

Is it an admission that they are not there yet, not quite up to the standards of the big boys, or is it about thier roadside service, like it's the most important thing on Chevrolet's customers?

Why can't they concetrante on honestly making good cars for the people, why resort to all this trickery with rebadged cars? Can you trust them? I can't.

For those who asked how the diesel compared with the petrol... It was a different car altogether.

The extra hp made all the difference and as I pulled away from the Chevy garage I could feel the surge of power from the commonrail that the petrol lacked. Despite this I found the engine quiet and unlike previous diesels I have known.

Once onto the bypass road I got her purring up to 120 km/h and felt that there was plenty more if I needed it. Steering was responsive and I felt in complete control. I then took her to a winding uphill road I know and took the corners at speed. The anti roll sensors kicked in and leveled out the lean. I hit a few potholes at speed and the suspension worked a treat.

With me I had my family, the salesgirl and two Thai male colleagues who both own 4x4s. 6 sitting in comfort with a spare seat at the back. Being the LT top of the range there were a few more buttons that baffled me a little. One for going downhill, one for setting an optimum cruise speed, one for anti-skidding and one called "winter" which I guess is for snow.

The final test for me was when I pulled her over whipped out my iPod and plugged it straight into the aux jack.

Pumped up the volume and took off with Roxy Music belting out through all eight speakers. This is all the car I'll ever need!

My passengers agreed as well. :o

Good news, the main beef that BP reviewers had with Captiva was a lack of power.

They also mentioned that CRV has more gadgets but Captiva offers better seat configuration options.

Finally some sort of a competition.

For those who asked how the diesel compared with the petrol... It was a different car altogether.

The extra hp made all the difference and as I pulled away from the Chevy garage I could feel the surge of power from the commonrail that the petrol lacked. Despite this I found the engine quiet and unlike previous diesels I have known.

Once onto the bypass road I got her purring up to 120 km/h and felt that there was plenty more if I needed it. Steering was responsive and I felt in complete control. I then took her to a winding uphill road I know and took the corners at speed. The anti roll sensors kicked in and leveled out the lean. I hit a few potholes at speed and the suspension worked a treat.

With me I had my family, the salesgirl and two Thai male colleagues who both own 4x4s. 6 sitting in comfort with a spare seat at the back. Being the LT top of the range there were a few more buttons that baffled me a little. One for going downhill, one for setting an optimum cruise speed, one for anti-skidding and one called "winter" which I guess is for snow.

The final test for me was when I pulled her over whipped out my iPod and plugged it straight into the aux jack.

Pumped up the volume and took off with Roxy Music belting out through all eight speakers. This is all the car I'll ever need!

My passengers agreed as well. :o

sounds like a "must have" 4x4. i havent as yet driven a Captiva as yet but it sounds like the diesel is the one to go for.

How does it handle compared to like a Fortuner, as I think the Fortuner is a dog when cornering, visability is sadly lacking due to a heavy front A pillar and rear is comprimised by the fold up seats, so does the Captiva have good all-round viz?

Yes visibility was good and the anti-roll computer made cornering a delight. The seat configuration is a doddle with a simple lever the middle seats somersault forward. My only problem now (pointed out by a previous poster) is getting a reasonable price for my Optra. Chevrolet offered me 370K which is way below the market price. Also a Thai friend told me that soon there will be SALES and that I should wait for that before buying.

My only problem now (pointed out by a previous poster) is getting a reasonable price for my Optra. Chevrolet offered me 370K which is way below the market price.

Main Dealers offer very little, when I bought my Fortuner I traded in a pick Toyota Tiger 4x4 2 Door pick up, I got 270,000 for it from the dealer.

They passed it on to a private trader at 350,000 and he sold it for 400,000, I know this cos I had to sign papers at the traders office when he sold it, I was amazed at someone paying 400,000 for it, as it had only cost me 395,000 2 years before that!

Sell private.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes visibility was good and the anti-roll computer made cornering a delight. The seat configuration is a doddle with a simple lever the middle seats somersault forward. My only problem now (pointed out by a previous poster) is getting a reasonable price for my Optra. Chevrolet offered me 370K which is way below the market price. Also a Thai friend told me that soon there will be SALES and that I should wait for that before buying.

selling to a garage is always a loss. just could sell my old crv privately, gave me 30 percent more than honda would have paid.

but be careful with that "sale". after launching a brand new line a carmaker waits quite some time before launching a "sale".

if you're in no hurry, why not wait.

but if there's need for the car, why wait?

at the end of the day the wait doesn't make you richer. your optra loses value by the day.

• 8 months later...

I am resurrecting this thread :D

During my search for a replacement for my crashed Fortuner, I today stumbled into the GM Showroom in Pattaya. I wanted to see the Lumina, but they didn't have one. (Only in Rayong).

They did however, have a 2.0LT (diesel) Captiva, and I must say I was captivated.

All the extra luxuries compared to the Fortuner were immediately apparent (like rain sensors, automatic lights, electric seat adjustments, rear seats folding flat to the floor, and many more) and it looked very good.

I have yet to test drive.

However, I see from this thread that Mr baabaabobo was planning to buy one last year, and was wondering if he did end up buying it and what he thinks about it now - some 7 months down the line. How has it been running, and what about service costs and any mechanical problems?

Has anyone else bought one of these nice looking monsters? :o

During my travels around the Pattaya showrooms, the average time for a new car delivery is 3 - 4 months. I asked about order times to the girl at GM, and she held up 3 fingers. "Months?", I asked. "No, days". "Is the price negotiable?" "Yes, it is."

I wonder what the resale value of this diesel version is?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

bumpity bump Im also looking at this now (I have looked at secondhand xc90's, Mitsu spacewagons and CRV's but something keeps drawing me back to this Capitva.

However, I will caveat this and say I would buy an XC90 in a heartbeat if I could find the right combination of price, colour, spec and mileage (not as easy as one might think and Im basing my buying decisions on finance firms opinions of market value).

Anyway, this Captiva seems to have a lot going for it and am keen to hear more from any owners out there.

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

For those who wants to know about this beautiful machine without prejudice & bias, may I suggest a visit to our website - www.captivians.com.

We are a group of very active Chevrolet Captiva owners from Malaysia, who talk and discuss about our vehicle with passion. We do not represent any company or organisation, we are just big fans of the vehicle.

If fact, we were planning a trip to Rayong this December, to visit the factory where our babies were born. But have to put it away for next year. Are there any owner in this forum?

Anyway, come visit the site and have fun.

Captivians Rock! :o

Cheers!

As a recent buyer I am very happy - I previously had a Fortuner -

The Fortuner is much better off road and strangely seems to have better fuel economy .

but The Captiva is much nicer and more comfortable to drive with plenty of power , off road it struggles and the ground clearance is less than the Fortuner .

No problems yet , 1st service at 10,000 km .

• 8 months later...

Bump!!!

Signed a contract for a 1 year old Captiva 2.0 LT today, it was sold in July 2008, so there is still 2 years warranty left.

Found it on taladrod.com from a private owner, he paid 1560.000 with "full option" and we will pay 1085.000bath.

Took the car to a Chev dealer/garage today for a check up before deciding, and they found some small problems, but they fixed them under warrany, while we were waiting!

Great service and the check up set me back 549 bath, so I´m happy.

Also got an english manual, but had to pay for it, they had them in the shop.

Looking forward to Friday!

Tommy

It´s Friday, the car sits outside our home :D

Everything went smooth with the buy

The only trouble was driving for the first time from Bkk center to home, as it`s the first time I`ve driven inside Bkk and beeing Swedish I am used to driving on the right side of the road :)

Anyway all is well, quite a smooth ride, cant wait to get it on at least a semi-open road!

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...

Cant belive its been 3 weeks with the Captiva already, great car!

The first 2 weeks I have mostly driven in and around Bkk, medium speed according to the computer was 22Km/h :)

Best car I ever had, and a nice mix between 4wd truck/SUV and a normal on-road car.

Just perfect for my family as we really dont need an off-road car 99.9% of the time.

Yesterday I took it on a small road trip, left Bkk congestion and went North to SingBuri and LopBuri, about 1.5hrs on the highways, managed to keep an average speed of 90Km, including some village and city driving.

At highway speeds this car is very nice, small bumps in the concrete is filtered away by the suspension and doesnt reach the passengers.

Driving @ 120-130Km/h its quiet in the car, no problems talking to the guys in the rear seat from the drivers seat, the engine noice is only noticable at hard acceleration.

Also did some dirt road driving in a small village close to SingBuri, no problems, still to try off-road, but dont really know when we´ll need it.

Fuel consumtion in Bkk is around 12.5lit/100Km, on the road trip it was 9.3 with average highway speed about 120Km/h

Handling is great for a heavy car, with 6 passengers theres still plenty of power and good cornering.

Compared to the Fortuners and other pic-up derivatives this one feels much more comfortable, like a proper car, but we still get the higher seat positions, and good all around visibility of a SUV.

My wife told me after driving it a few times to the kids school that its easier to drive than the Toyota Soluna she did all her driving training in and she likes the visibility "Look like i can see everything?".

So in conclusion, get one!

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1