Chevrolet Captiva

Cant belive its been 3 weeks with the Captiva already, great car!

The first 2 weeks I have mostly driven in and around Bkk, medium speed according to the computer was 22Km/h :)

Best car I ever had, and a nice mix between 4wd truck/SUV and a normal on-road car.

Just perfect for my family as we really don't need an off-road car 99.9% of the time.

Yesterday I took it on a small road trip, left Bkk congestion and went North to SingBuri and LopBuri, about 1.5hrs on the highways, managed to keep an average speed of 90Km, including some village and city driving.

At highway speeds this car is very nice, small bumps in the concrete is filtered away by the suspension and doesn't reach the passengers.

Driving @ 120-130Km/h its quiet in the car, no problems talking to the guys in the rear seat from the drivers seat, the engine noice is only noticable at hard acceleration.

Also did some dirt road driving in a small village close to SingBuri, no problems, still to try off-road, but don't really know when we´ll need it.

Fuel consumption in Bkk is around 12.5lit/100Km, on the road trip it was 9.3 with average highway speed about 120Km/h

Handling is great for a heavy car, with 6 passengers theres still plenty of power and good cornering.

Compared to the Fortuners and other pic-up derivatives this one feels much more comfortable, like a proper car, but we still get the higher seat positions, and good all around visibility of a SUV.

My wife told me after driving it a few times to the kids school that its easier to drive than the Toyota Soluna she did all her driving training in and she likes the visibility "Look like i can see everything?".

So in conclusion, get one!

Tommy

Sounds pretty good! Are both front seats leather and electric powered? Is the 3ard row seat big and comfortable enough for an adult on a 4 hr. trip? What size tires are on your Captiva? Edited by Ahnsahn

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is pretty good!

All 7 seats are leather, a good thing when you have small kids, but only the drivers seat is electric powered.

My wife spent 3 hours in the 3rd seat row yesterday, and she didnt complain, shes 1.60 meters, 60Kg, I can sit there, but not sure for how long beeing 1.84, 100Kg...

The tires are the standard 235/ 60 R17, from when the car was new, looks OK and gives a good ride I wouldn´t change them for anything sportier, but thats me.

Tommy

A friend of mine recently bought the 2WD model, we're golfers (hackers). Cargo area is not big enough to comfortably carry 3 sets of golf clubs.

Check the manual :) , if you fold the rear seats, you will have enough room for 10 golf bags.

Regards,

Tommy

Come on Captiva owners, give us some insight how the beast has ee running.

I can only say I have owned mine for just over or about 18 months now, purchased new in Jan 2008. I could not be happier with it, does everything and more I would want from an SUV. My wife took a lot of flak about the purchase at first about it NOT being a Japanese/Asian "whatever" we had to listen to endless stories about how crap american made stuff is and how we have no resale and how Toyota is the only real truck...blah blah blah but now the family loves it and they all fight as to who is going to drive with us when we take a trip anywhere.

For everyday driving my wife feels so much safer in this car that her old Altis and constantly tells me how nice it is in the rain and bad roads and it is very easy getting our son in and out of the car seat in the back, which btw has built in anchors to the frame a nice touch.

We have had only one little problem the fuse for the power window on the rear driver side blew once, seriously that has been IT.

We have the top of the line fully loaded diesel model and in the city I get about 450 km per tank. When I make my 90 day run to Cambodia oh that baby earns its keep. I can drive to Cambodia and back to Bangkok with a little cruising around in between for less than 3/4s of a tank so the mileage really improves when on the highway, never tracked it that closely but will next time.

Don't get me wrong it's not a sports car and its driving and handling is a joke compared to my BMW 5 Series back in Canada but all things being equal it is a very nice handling truck, doesn't roll as much as I expected it would and handles the crappy BKK roads quite well, I can't say enough about it as being very good value. As I recall we paid a touch over 1.5 mil baht for it, it was 2008 and we paid cash so I am not 100% sure of the final number, but it was very close to that I am sure.

Before buying we test drove the Capitva first, then moved on to the Toyota what a brick, god that thing is awful.. then the Mu7, so so but not even close.. finally the CRV, pretty much equal, but the styling of the Captiva was more pleasing to our eye so that sealed the deal.

The only thing I regret was that the next model year they added the LTZ which has a really nice what looks like a NAV system in the dash haha.. would like to have that.

Just wondering do dealers here in Thailand do trade ins like in North America? I know if I buy a car in Canada and say two years later want to trade up it is very easy and painless and the dealer will always give me a fair price to trade in with the same company as they can fudge the numbers. The new LTZ model is like 1.6 something so I wondered if I could take in my 2008 and assume some depreciation and for example give them 400k or something to get a new LTZ, do that do that here???

Thanks.

A friend of mine recently bought the 2WD model, we're golfers (hackers). Cargo area is not big enough to comfortably carry 3 sets of golf clubs.

Check the manual :) , if you fold the rear seats, you will have enough room for 10 golf bags.

Regards,

Tommy

Where do you carry all the people then? Point is, if you have to fold the seats to carry 3 or 4 sets of clubs, then the vehicle becomes redundant in that aspect as you cannot carry your friends either.

I can only say I have owned mine for just over or about 18 months now, purchased new in Jan 2008. I could not be happier with it, does everything and more I would want from an SUV. My wife took a lot of flak about the purchase at first about it NOT being a Japanese/Asian "whatever" we had to listen to endless stories about how crap american made stuff is and how we have no resale and how Toyota is the only real truck...blah blah blah but now the family loves it and they all fight as to who is going to drive with us when we take a trip anywhere.

We have the top of the line fully loaded diesel model and in the city I get about 450 km per tank. When I make my 90 day run to Cambodia oh that baby earns its keep. I can drive to Cambodia and back to Bangkok with a little cruising around in between for less than 3/4s of a tank so the mileage really improves when on the highway, never tracked it that closely but will next time.

Don't get me wrong it's not a sports car and its driving and handling is a joke compared to my BMW 5 Series back in Canada but all things being equal it is a very nice handling truck, doesn't roll as much as I expected it would and handles the crappy BKK roads quite well, I can't say enough about it as being very good value. As I recall we paid a touch over 1.5 mil baht for it, it was 2008 and we paid cash so I am not 100% sure of the final number, but it was very close to that I am sure.

Before buying we test drove the Capitva first, then moved on to the Toyota what a brick, god that thing is awful.. then the Mu7, so so but not even close.. finally the CRV, pretty much equal, but the styling of the Captiva was more pleasing to our eye so that sealed the deal.

The only thing I regret was that the next model year they added the LTZ which has a really nice what looks like a NAV system in the dash haha.. would like to have that.

Thanks.

.....ahhhhhh! You have done your homework indeed, my hat's off to you! Since you know the ride of an X5 and have also test drove all of (what I also consider to be) the Captiva's competition, I'm valuing your assessments even more :):D (not to mention that I, too, came to pretty much the exact same assessments when comparing the Captiva to the CR-V and the Toyota).

There seems to be just a little difference in our Mu-7 evaluations and with all the noted vehicle background that we seemingly have in common, I'm really interested in knowing more of the differences you detected between these two SUVs. I concede the Mu-7's rear brake drums and leaf suspension (what were their engineers thinking?) are negatives but it's 4x4 'On-the fly' and more accommodating comfortable 3ard row seat are positives, how would you compare the ride/handling qualities and other factors? If one could go so far as to categorize the Captiva as being an overall 'cousin' to the CR-V, could the same be said of the Mu-7 and Fortuner, or would that be stretching the comparisons, in your judgment?

Edited by Ahnsahn

Hi I drive a Capitiva too (brought one in October last year) I also did my homework, and agree with traderjim. Its a very comfortable ride and the diesel is very economical.

I think its fair to say the Captiva is a cousin of the CRV it was the closest comparable that I found. It was much more car like than the Fortuner, and a little more refined inside. The clincher for us when weighing up the CRV and the Captiva was also the styling and the 7 seats helped. I really like the automatic windscreen wipers, and automatic headlights, small things but nice to have (I cant recall if the CRV had them).

The CRV is a little cheaper though so it all balances it out.. it really all depends on what you want out of the car.

Thanks.

.....ahhhhhh! You have done your homework indeed, my hat's off to you! Since you know the ride of an X5 and have also test drove all of (what I also consider to be) the Captiva's competition, I'm valuing your assessments even more :D:D (not to mention that I, too, came to pretty much the exact same assessments when comparing the Captiva to the CR-V and the Toyota).

There seems to be just a little difference in our Mu-7 evaluations and with all the noted vehicle background that we seemingly have in common, I'm really interested in knowing more of the differences you detected between these two SUVs. I concede the Mu-7's rear brake drums and leaf suspension (what were their engineers thinking?) are negatives but it's 4x4 'On-the fly' and more accommodating comfortable 3ard row seat are positives, how would you compare the ride/handling qualities and other factors? If one could go so far as to categorize the Captiva as being an overall 'cousin' to the CR-V, could the same be said of the Mu-7 and Fortuner, or would that be stretching the comparisons, in your judgment?

Sorry not a question for me, but if I may heres my thoughts.

The main differences between the 2 pair of "Cousins" is that the Captiva, CRV and Ford Escape are designed as a modern car and has good handling and safety features, for example a monocoupe body that is self supporting (not sure about spelling), whilst the Fortuner, Ford Everest, MU7 and Mits Pajero Sport are based on old pickup chassies, thats a good thing and a cheap design IF you want a truck or a pickup for load carrying.

The Captiva scored 4stars in Euro NCAP crash test, it missed the 5-star top rating because the side curtain airbags didnt deploy in 1 of the tests, which is OK really, because they dont sell Captiva with curtain airbags in Thailand anyway...

I cant seem to find any picup or pickup-SUVs in the NCAP tests, hmmm... wonder why they dont sell them in the EU? :)

What the MU7 engineers was thinking when they stayed with leaf suspension, you ask?

They wanted to save money and just put a new rear-body on their pickup truck, its longer than the Fortuner because of that and also has a slightly larger cargo-space when all 7 seats are occupied.

Still to small for 7 golf bags... If anyone needs that, get a topbox for the roof rails, or a minibus.

Regards

Tommy

MU-7 is based on Isuzu's prehistoric, ten year old platform while newer Toyota and Mitrubishi took full advantage of eased regulations that allowed shorter base and coil suspensions.

Captiva is smaller than Fortuner or Pajero Sport, they should be in different categories, but size doesn't really matter much in Thailand.

we had to listen to endless stories about how crap american made stuff is

The stories are true aren't they? :)

Certainly having driven in some absolute heaps of junk from across the pond in the past, has put me off even looking at that market! Besides aren't all these cars built in Thailand anyway so like the Honda CRV protests of recent yrs at the Jap embassy in Bangkok, we can expect similar workmanship with any locally built up model vendor here?

Captiva is smaller than Fortuner or Pajero Sport, they should be in different categories, but size doesn't really matter much in Thailand.

Yeah, they should be in different categories, but hardly because of size, the Captiva is almost as big as the Fortuner, and roomier inside.

The actual figures are

Captiva L¤W¤H is 4635¤1850¤1720 with axle distance of 2705mm, actually wider than Fortuner.

Fortuner L¤W¤H, 4695¤1840¤1795 with axle distance of 2750mm, slightly higher than Captiva, buts only due to higher ground clearence, Fortuner has a lower body, you can really feel it if you move from car to car.

They are actually in different categories, Crossover SUV (not really for off-road use) and SUV according to the manufacturers.

Tommy

Yeah, they should be in different categories, but hardly because of size, the Captiva is almost as big as the Fortuner, and roomier inside.

The actual figures are

Captiva L¤W¤H is 4635¤1850¤1720 with axle distance of 2705mm, actually wider than Fortuner.

Fortuner L¤W¤H, 4695¤1840¤1795 with axle distance of 2750mm, slightly higher than Captiva, buts only due to higher ground clearence, Fortuner has a lower body, you can really feel it if you move from car to car.

They are actually in different categories, Crossover SUV (not really for off-road use) and SUV according to the manufacturers.

Tommy

They are very different vehicles.

Fortuner is a sturdy 4x4 offroad truck. Almost impossible to destroy underpinnigs, build on frame but with coilsprings. capable of towing 3 tons.

Captiva is a frontwheeldrive with additional allwheeldrive ability. More agile on road, but hopeless offroad.

I like them both. Basicly Fortuner is a more expensive truck, but its PPC taxbreak (build on frame) in LOS (only 20% compared to Captivas

35% excisetax) makes them compete in same pricerange.

Katabeachbum is right!

I do like the Fortuner, but the Captiva suited me and my Familys needs better, so Captiva it is!

I guess Fortuner is cheaper to own, and easier to sell at a reasonable price as 2nd hand.

But I´m sure The Captiva is a better big-suburban-family-sort of-SUV.

And as I mentioned, we got ours 2nd hand, and then a low resale value is a positive thing, if you know what you buy, and why the price is low (in this case Thai supersticion/predjudice).

Tommy

Sorry not a question for me, but if I may here's my thoughts.

The main differences between the 2 pair of "Cousins" is that the Captiva, CRV and Ford Escape are designed as a modern car and has good handling and safety features, for example a mono-coupe body that is self supporting (not sure about spelling), whilst the Fortuner, Ford Everest, MU7 and Mits Pajero Sport are based on old pickup chassis, that's a good thing and a cheap design IF you want a truck or a pickup for load carrying.

The Captiva scored 4 stars in Euro NCAP crash test, it missed the 5-star top rating because the side curtain airbags didn't deploy in 1 of the tests, which is OK really, because they don't sell Captiva with curtain airbags in Thailand anyway...

I can't seem to find any pickup or pickup-SUVs in the NCAP tests, hmmm... wonder why they don't sell them in the EU? :)

What the MU7 engineers were thinking when they stayed with leaf suspension, you ask?

They wanted to save money and just put a new rear-body on their pickup truck, its longer than the Fortuner because of that and also has a slightly larger cargo-space when all 7 seats are occupied.

Still too small for 7 golf bags... If anyone needs that, get a topbox for the roof rails, or a minibus.

Regards

Tommy

You (brutally) hit the nail on the head with your points......but when you're right (correct) - you're right! :D:D

Edited by thailoht

• 2 weeks later...

My wife recently bought a 2.4l Captiva for me to drive. Didn't actually ask me if I wanted to drive it but now it is mine. Here is my view after driving it a while.

It is a very comfortable car to get around in. Great visibillity, reasonable seats and driving position. Lots of room for the 8 brother and sister in laws and their broods. The car has had no problems, is quiet with no squeaks or leaks. Loads of space in the back, especially with the seats down. The dogs love the back where they have room to walk around. Nothing but good things to say, except....

For the difference in gas milage between the Honda City she sold to buy this and the Capitiva we could have paid for a new City. The advertised fuel consumption is something like 14 kpl highway, 11 overall. I drive mostly highway and so far have never had a tank of gas where I got more than 9kpl. The overall average has been slightly over 8kpl. In the US I think I would have to be paying gas guzzler taxes.

Don't completely understand why the fuel economy is so bad. Had a 2.7l gasoline Toyota Vigo, 4x4, that averaged over 10 kpl. It was heavier, 4 wheel drive and certainly not designed as a green vehicle yet it did better than the supposedly more modern designed Captiva.

Fuel consumption, thats a Killer for some.

Well the 2.4 lit petrol engine is thirsty, surprised that you got better consumption with the 2.7 lit Toyota, but I have seen similar reports before, even between Chev 2.0 diesel and Toyota 3.0 Diesel (where the Chev is thirstier).

Possibly the smaller engines need to work harder?

Anyway my average consumtion sofar is 12.6lit/100km, thats mostly rush-hour in Bkk, not moving a lot, medium speed like 22km/h (Fxxxng boring).

Got some good consumption readings on Highways, 9.3lit/100km @ 120-130Km/h is good for a fully loaded 2-ton SUV.

Lowest consumption so far is around 8lit/100K, @ 90Km/h on Highway.

Tommy

I can only say I have owned mine for just over or about 18 months now, purchased new in Jan 2008...

The only thing I regret was that the next model year they added the LTZ which has a really nice what looks like a NAV system in the dash haha.. would like to have that...

The new LTZ model is like 1.6 something so I wondered if I could take in my 2008 and assume some depreciation and for example give them 400k or something to get a new LTZ, do that do that here???

Thanks.

Yes you could do a trade in, or you can get the new Nav-system from the LTZ retro-fitted to your 2008 LT, I asked our Chevy dealer today.

I costs 80.000bath at the moment, but we were told to come back in a couple of months as the high price is because its new, and will drop soon.

Regards

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you could do a trade in, or you can get the new Nav-system from the LTZ retro-fitted to your 2008 LT, I asked our Chevy dealer today.

I costs 80.000bath at the moment, but we were told to come back in a couple of months as the high price is because its new, and will drop soon.

Regards

Tommy

Thanks for the info, I think I would prefer to trade in rather than retro fit, I think the seats are a nicer quality leather in the LTZ and the one we saw came standard with the running boards and window shades.. plus there were more colors to choose from, as it will be my wife's birthday present I know given the choice a nice shiny new LTZ will go over better than a retro fit of her current one hahaha... but seriously thanks for the info just been too lazy to call and check.. but that's why we have discussion forums right?

Sorry for the late reply I don't check the board as often as I could (should?) Anyway I just found the MU7 drove more like a truck to me and felt more like a truck to my wife, (it was bought for her so it did matter) again as with all opinions they are simply that of the person expressing them but we found the MU7 and Fortuner to be trucks, not that there is anything wrong with that but they seemed TOO big, sitting TOO high and handled like trucks, just not what we were looking for.

The CRV and the Captiva OTOH seemed to be very much the same both a bit smaller and both a little more refined when being driven, not really all the up on the technical mechanical side of things but they both felt more like big cars rather than pick up trucks, the main thing that swayed us was the styling we really preferred the Capitva's

I would think if someone cares about load hauling and off roading the MU7 and Fortuner win hands down, but for everyday comfortable driving I don't see how anyone could put those two in the same class as the CRV and Captiva.. again simpy MHO

Funny enough my wife has been making noises now about getting an X3, but but but I complained you wanted to have that third row of seats so much... and we already have one BMW in the driveway I am SURE there are strict laws in Thailand about having two... some sort of special tax or something and it has NOTHING to do with me being too cheap to spring for it hahaha... ok maybe a little bit...

• 4 weeks later...

3 Months with the best Thai built SUV, and I must say: "Why Would anyone buy a crappy Fortuner, when the Captiva exists?"

Captiva is smooth on the road, usable on dirtroads, fast and stable on highways, gives a good all-a-round view in Bkk traffic...

Possibly THE car for Thailand, but thats just my opinion.

Best regards,

Tommy

3 Months with the best Thai built SUV, and I must say: "Why Would anyone buy a crappy Fortuner, when the Captiva exists?"

Captiva is smooth on the road, usable on dirtroads, fast and stable on highways, gives a good all-a-round view in Bkk traffic...

Best regards,

Tommy

I like the captiva, but Fortuner is a proper offroader. Captiva is totally useless offroad and stops if water is deeper tha 40 cm. If you go offroad with captiva, expect some damage to steering and suspension. Its a car when it comes to these parts. Not an offroad.

Fortuner is also much stronger when loaded or pulling a trailer. Captiva can pull 2 ton, Fortuner 3 ton. Captiva can load 550 kg, Fortuner can load 800 kg. Captiva is actually terrible to drive if rear end is heavy, while Fortuners solid axle keeps angles correct at all times.

Still like Captiva though, but they are total different vehicles.

If the taxes would have been the same, Fortuner would have been much more expensive than Captiva, but thats another story.

Best regards,

Tommy

Whats the long term outlook like though?, The Captiva I drove looked like the build quality was pretty shoddy. For example the sunglass holder snapped when I tried to operate it, also loads of rattles on the demo model, after driving it I guessed it had probably around 40k + on the clock when in fact when I took a look it was less than 10,000.

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a vehicle down the line, however this car maker is probably one of the worst back in the states [Not Bashing the states,as I am from the states]. I am wondering why most are interested in it (this seems priced higher 1.50) than the Honda; Is it overall cargo/space loyout of the vehicle. This, and ford only sell back home due to the (Low) price point, one step above a Hyundia , and the commercials (you cannot go 5 minutes without catching of of them). I am leaning towards Honda/Toyota, however would love others users thoughts as to why they chose Chevy.

Edited by Newguy70

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a vehicle down the line, however this car maker is probably one of the worst back in the states [Not Bashing the states,as I am from the states]. I am wondering why most are interested in it (this seems priced higher 1.50) than the Honda; Is it overall cargo/space loyout of the vehicle. This, and ford only sell back home due to the (Low) price point, one step above a Hyundia , and the commercials (you cannot go 5 minutes without catching of of them). I am leaning towards Honda/Toyota, however would love others users thoughts as to why they chose Chevy.

Dont worry, its actually a Daewoo developed in Korea. GM is the owner of Daewoo, and has bageneered it Chevy in some countries.

Diesel and 7 seats no have CRV :)

is this the new model?

Its called the Equinox~2010 model in the USA

Frontage has bigger grille, looks more classy

wing mirrors look more sporty

2010-chevrolet-equinox.jpg

more in size to Fortuner so maybe not

2010-chevrolet-equinox_5.jpg_770.jpg

not bad in any case

2010-chevrolet-equinox_9.jpg_770.jpg

classy interior

2010-Chevrolet-Equinox-Crossover-SUV-01.jpg_770.jpg

I would get A Fortuner or A MU7, if I wanted A car that was suited for off-road, but really I dont, I drive on roads.

How many Fortuner/MU7 owners has ever been off the asphalt or tarmac, is 5% a fair guess!?

And off those how many really needed it, instead of just wanted to try it, once...

The off road-capabilities is mostly b¤llox, (almost) no one needs it, and it makes the cars unsafe on highways, were they will be, and are driven at high speeds.

So why not get a real road-car(?), The Captiva is good choice, if you need more than 5 seats and superior comfort and saftey for your passengers!

Regards,

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1