6 month visa to the UK

I am thinking to getting a visa for the wife to travel to the UK, is it possible to make 2 trips with the same visa provided that on the second trip she will have departed the UK before the expiry date of the visa

The Consular Team aren't involved in visa issues, so I'll move your question to the appropriate forum.

As @soi3eddiehas pointed when your wife applies for a visa, if granted, it will normally be a multi entry visa meaning that she can make a number of visits during the validity of the visa.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

No problem. My partner visited twice on the same visa. 

As OG pointed out, that standard visitor visa is issued as a 'multi-entry' visa.

Maximum cumulative days 180, leave before the visa expiry date.

Thanks and lets hope Forest stay up!

• Thanks 1

I have just obtained a visa to UK for my wife but had to ask specifically for multi-entry and often they issue single entry which we nearly fell foul of last year, when we needed to return for a family issue. So I would suggest that you make it clear that you wish for a multi-entry just to be on safe side. 

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

Thanks for the confirmation, should I mention it on the application?

It doesn't do any harm to include an itinerary in your application, may well be beneficial but who knows.

I am about to do the 11th application for my wife and as we move about a lot have always included a detailed itinerary. When they ask where you are going to stay I just refer to the itinerary.

Quite often we have left the UK and returned during the trip, one time to both Canada and Germany, never a problem.

You will apply for a Standard Visitor Visa which is a Type C Multiple visa. Of course UKVI have the right to change the visa conditions if they consider it appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, generealty said:

I have just obtained a visa to UK for my wife but had to ask specifically for multi-entry and often they issue single entry which we nearly fell foul of last year, when we needed to return for a family issue. So I would suggest that you make it clear that you wish for a multi-entry just to be on safe side. 

I've never heard of anyone getting a single-entry visitor visa for the UK - I thought they were always multi-entry. Has it changed recently?

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

I think the £100 version is a short term one hit visa;

image.png.c81d1b66231b52cbad05dd1ca3ce3fce.png

No, the six month Standard Visit Visa is usually multi entry

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've never heard of anyone getting a single-entry visitor visa for the UK - I thought they were always multi-entry. Has it changed recently?

The ECO can issue a single entry if they have any concerns, rare but it can and does happen. Likewise if an ECO has concerns regarding a longer term visa, they can issue a six month visa and there’s no refund, again rare but there have been a few reports on this forum of this happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We’ve used the Standard visa (6month) to bring wife’s family of 4 over for several years in succession, then went for the 10 year visa which they now use each year for visiting us in the UK. More expensive, but saves doing multiple visa applications each year and avoids all the hassle of visiting BKK for interviews etc. 

2 minutes ago, Dazkkk said:

We’ve used the Standard visa (6month) to bring wife’s family of 4 over for several years in succession, then went for the 10 year visa which they now use each year for visiting us in the UK. More expensive, but saves doing multiple visa applications each year and avoids all the hassle of visiting BKK for interviews etc. 

How were you able to prove that you would have the funds to sponsor for 10 years?, do they just base it on a years finances?

Edited by Burgo1979

33 minutes ago, Burgo1979 said:

With regards to the 2, 5 and 10 year visas, how would a sponsor be able to show funds for that period of time?

You don't, the applicant would provide evidence that the initial visit is affordable, and the ECO would make a decision that on the balance of probabilities future trips would be affordable.
An applicant would need to satisfy the decision maker that there is a genunie reason for visits over a longer period and demonstrate thier ties to their home country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

You don't, the applicant would provide evidence that the initial visit is affordable, and the ECO would make a decision that on the balance of probabilities future trips would be affordable.
An applicant would need to satisfy the decision maker that there is a genunie reason for visits over a longer period and demonstrate thier ties to their home country.

Thank you. Is the 2. 5 and 10 year options only available after a certain amount of 6 month visas where the applicant has returned successfully, or can someone applying for the first time now go straight for a 10 year? My wife was given the option for the longer ones the last time she applied, but on her previous 4 visits only the 6 month was available.

Edited by Burgo1979
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Burgo1979 said:

Thank you. Is the 2. 5 and 10 year options only available after a certain amount of 6 month visas where the applicant has returned successfully, or can someone applying for the first time now go straight for a 10 year? My wife was given the option for the longer ones the last time she applied, but on her previous 4 visits only the 6 month was available.

Longer term visas are available to anyone who can demonstrate a compelling reason to visit over a longer period, a business person for instance who needs to travel regularly.

For an ordinary traveler, maybe visiting family, whilst there are no rules to say an applicant has to work their way up the ladder, I suspect that’s what most do, don’t forget that if a shorter term visa is granted, there’s no refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

Longer term visas are available to anyone who can demonstrate a compelling reason to visit over a longer period, a business person for instance who needs to travel regularly.

For an ordinary traveler, maybe visiting family, whilst there are no rules to say an applicant has to work their way up the ladder, I suspect that’s what most do, don’t forget that if a shorter term visa is granted, there’s no refund.

Thanks again.

5 hours ago, generealty said:

My wife has had 2 visitor visas for UK. Both times she applied for a visa she did just that. No specifics about how many entries. Both times a Multi Entry was issued. I believe that is standard.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Burgo1979 said:

How were you able to prove that you would have the funds to sponsor for 10 years?, do they just base it on a years finances?

My and my wife’s bank accounts for first 2x6 month visas, also for 10 year visas + bank accounts that her parents had setup in UK using our address, showing transfer of funds from Thailand on a regular basis. 
However, I’m pretty sure it was mainly based on our UK accounts which show considerable funds, enough to cover any future requirements they may have.