Over 11,500 Thai drivers have had points deducted since system launched

snoop1130

3734532514_5b10849f3a_b.jpg

Flickr/J. Garcia

A total of 11,548 road users have had points deducted from their licences since the new system launched on January 9. According to a Nation Thailand report, the offence that occurs the most is failure to show proof of having paid annual vehicle registration fees.

A total of 3,557 incidences of this have been recorded by the Royal Thai Police.

1,709 motorists lost points for driving without licence plates and 1,686 had points deducted for failing to observe the speed limit. The province with the most points lost is Chai Nat, in Central Thailand, where a total of 1,478 lost points. This is followed by Bangkok, with 1,427, and the north-eastern province of Khon Kaen, with 211.

Under the new system, all motorists start out with 12 points on their licence. If found in violation of a traffic law, they will lose points, with the number deducted depending on the severity of the offence. Losing all 12 points will result in suspension of the driving licence and 3 such suspensions in as many years will mean the licence is revoked.

Police say anyone caught driving without a licence could face a prison term of up to 3 months, and/or a fine of 10,000 baht.

You can check the number of points on your licence by visiting the official police website or by downloading the Khub Dee app.

Source: https://phuket-go.com/phuket-news/national-news/over-11500-thai-drivers-have-had-points-deducted-since-system-launched/

Phuket Go

-- © Copyright Phuket GO 2023-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 hour ago, Jerno said:

Prison term for traffic violations. Really?  Keep the masses in check with severe threats.....it ain't working.

quite sure that part only applies to those driving without a license. which in any country is a major offence.

yes i know this is thailand....

9 hours ago, peter zwart said:

How high would the number be if the police force became really active?

Yes, my thoughts exactly. Probably got 50 million people on the roads everyday (That's just Sukhumvit between Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy... I jest).

I'd wager 5% to 10% got their license out of a CrackerJack box = they don't have one or paid off the driving test folks to get one and couldn't drive a ten penny nail into a piece of cornbread.

Edited by jaywalker
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, peter zwart said:

How high would the number be if the police force became really active?

"if the police force became really active?".... they haven't been really active since the beginning of their existence. Why would they start now?

12 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Guessing if people don't have registration papers, they certainly don't have a licence.????????

I don't believe they have to be attached, ie you don't show a licence to pay your road tax. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan747 said:

I come over to Thailand for six months each year and bring an International Driver's License with me. Very hard to lose points on that license-Might work for you. 

Correct...the point system won't work for you...but a hefty fine should!

• Like 1

Pretty sure Chai Nat's tickets come from their road blocks on highway 32.  I used to travel that direction and got caught about 3-4 times on one month.  Usually have 15 cars stopped on both sides, so probably 200-300 tickets/day or more coming from that one traffic stop

• Thumbs Up 1