Border crossing at Chiang Kong - Huay Xai , need help

Good day,
I'm new here and trying to cross the border in Thailand - Laos, Chiang Kong - Huay Xai.
Does anyone have experience at this border crossing or tips.
Do I need an agent?
My visa expires on March 29th.
As far as I know, there are still 45 days (arrival visa) in Thailand until the end of March.
I know that you need $40 for the Laos visa.
Thank you for your help and tips

Is Mae Sai not open now...that would be easier and cheaper and a more regular out/in same-day avenue.

Can look like a junkie pit at times, but man are Burma immigration super nice and friendly..then you u-turn to "America's most Wanted" scrutiny on Thai side...STERN...haha.

Crossing from Chiang Khong to Huay Xai shouldnt be any problem. I guess only the transport to the bridge from Chiang Khong and from the bridge to Huay Xai can be a bit problemstic as both distances are quite far….

December 13, 2022 Update. 

Tuesday I went to Chiang Khong on a Border/VISA Run.

Free parking on left side just before the guard shack. 

Exit Thailand with 4 days left on my METV. ( Multiple entry tourist visa) Buy a bus ticket , 20 B to Laos immigration, Visa on arrival.

Two pages of Laos visa application, one passport photo and 20 B fee. (grift)

Next window, get an entry stamp.

Next window pay $40.oo US, or 1,500 B. Enter Laos.

U-turn, exit Laos. Nothing said about same day exiting.

Buy a 25 B bus ticket to Thailand immigration. Had to wait about 1/2 hour. Beer Lao for sale at the bus stop. 25 & 30 B.

Had to fill out TM 6 card and show address in Thailand. The officer made many odd faces as he processed my visa. He did not look happy, but gave me another 60 days.

Walk back to parking lot, check the time, 3 hours and 20 mins. Way too long, but possible.

Total cost $40.00 US plus 65 B. 

Wishing Mai Sai will open soon. Only $10.00 and 15 mins there. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dcalaska said:

December 13, 2022 Update. 

Tuesday I went to Chiang Khong on a Border/VISA Run.

Free parking on left side just before the guard shack. 

Exit Thailand with 4 days left on my METV. ( Multiple entry tourist visa) Buy a bus ticket , 20 B to Laos immigration, Visa on arrival.

Two pages of Laos visa application, one passport photo and 20 B fee. (grift)

Next window, get an entry stamp.

Next window pay $40.oo US, or 1,500 B. Enter Laos.

U-turn, exit Laos. Nothing said about same day exiting.

Buy a 25 B bus ticket to Thailand immigration. Had to wait about 1/2 hour. Beer Lao for sale at the bus stop. 25 & 30 B.

Had to fill out TM 6 card and show address in Thailand. The officer made many odd faces as he processed my visa. He did not look happy, but gave me another 60 days.

Walk back to parking lot, check the time, 3 hours and 20 mins. Way too long, but possible.

Total cost $40.00 US plus 65 B. 

Wishing Mai Sai will open soon. Only $10.00 and 15 mins there. 

You had a METV, why you paid?

I did a borderrun on a METV in Wang Prachan and there was no payment to make.

It shouldnt be, as you already paid all in the price for an METV.

Or did you have to pay to get in Laos? I thought only Myanmar you must buy a visa and Laos and Malaysia dont, visa on arrival. Malaysia for sure, as i did.

Out and in Thailand in 30 minutes. Also got a TM6.

4 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Or did you have to pay to get in Laos? I thought only Myanmar you must buy a visa and Laos and Malaysia dont, visa on arrival. Malaysia for sure, as i did.

Entering Laos is not the same as entering Malaysia. With very few exceptions, foreigners need a visa to enter Laos. For most nationalities, easiest is a visa on arrival costing US$40.

31 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Entering Laos is not the same as entering Malaysia. With very few exceptions, foreigners need a visa to enter Laos. For most nationalities, easiest is a visa on arrival costing US$40.

The easiest is an E-visa but it costs $50.

9 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

Crossing from Chiang Khong to Huay Xai shouldnt be any problem. I guess only the transport to the bridge from Chiang Khong and from the bridge to Huay Xai can be a bit problemstic as both distances are quite far….

A good few years since i did it by boat but bet it's still possible.Only a hop,skip and a jump.

12 hours ago, dcalaska said:

The officer made many odd faces as he processed my visa. He did not look happy, but gave me another 60 days.

You go out of your way to get an METV and you get that...says it all.

I only have a tenuous link to Thailand now..if that goes, I'm off to fresher fields.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:59 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

$40.00 US was for Laos Visa on arrival. No other option at Chiang Khong/Huay Xai. Not free.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:47 AM, Tish 2 said:

A good few years since i did it by boat but bet it's still possible.Only a hop,skip and a jump.

No its not as it was before the bridge was opened. Now the Immigration and Customs for both Thailand and Laos is at each end of the bridge and the bridge is approx 15 kms kms away from Chiang Khong and similar distance from Huay Xai…

Edited by Mangkhut
  • Thumbs Up 1