Believe It Or Not

Mid

Believe it or Not, Phuket to have region's biggest aquarium

Asia-Pacific News

Jul 2, 2007, 1:55 GMT

Bangkok - Ripley Entertainment - operator of Believe It or Not Museum - has announced plans to build a 2.1-billion-baht (60- million-dollar) aquarium on Thailand's resort island of Phuket, news reports said Monday.

The aquarium, which will cover 10,000-12,000 square metres when it is completed in three years, will be bigger than Underwater World in Singapore, which currently claims to be the biggest in South-East Asia, The Nation newspaper reported.

2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Given that it's Ripleys, are they going to have the World's fattest dugong lazing by the side, the shark with the meanest set of teeth, a two-headed eel and a half-fish half-lobster creature? Perhaps the World's largest sardine can be pitted against a dwarf shark? And with all those fish - what about the chips?

Maybe they'll have a farang land exhibit of "believe it or not." Featured will be farang bank robbers, and a special Pattaya section filled with believe it or not delights.

Yes, the World's smallest farang bank robber :o

Maybe they'll have a farang land exhibit of "believe it or not." Featured will be farang bank robbers, and a special Pattaya section filled with believe it or not delights.

Yes, the World's smallest farang bank robber :o

Yes, also very slight in stature and wearing a cheap long sleeve white shirt and black dress pants. Very typical farang attire in Phuket.

Believe it or Not, Phuket to have region's biggest aquarium

Asia-Pacific News

Jul 2, 2007, 1:55 GMT

Bangkok - Ripley Entertainment - operator of Believe It or Not Museum - has announced plans to build a 2.1-billion-baht (60- million-dollar) aquarium on Thailand's resort island of Phuket, news reports said Monday.

The aquarium, which will cover 10,000-12,000 square metres when it is completed in three years, will be bigger than Underwater World in Singapore, which currently claims to be the biggest in South-East Asia, The Nation newspaper reported.

2007 dpa - Deutsche Presse-Agentur

Any idea where on the island it will (possibly) be built ? Hope its near the sea :o

Ripley Entertainment plans to build largest aquarium in SE Asia in Phuket

Ripley Entertainment, the operator of Ripley’s Believe It or Not Museum, looks set to construct a 2.1-billion-baht aquarium in the province of Phuket. The aquarium is scheduled to be opened within three years.

The firm will enter into a joint venture with Thailand-based conglomerate Minor International Public Company Limited, the franchisee of the Ripley museum in Pattaya City. The aquarium project will be Ripley’s second property in Thailand and its first aquarium outside the US.

The aquarium is expected to cover around 10,000 to 12,000 square meters of land area and would be bigger than Underwater World in Singapore, which currently claims to be the biggest aquarium in Southeast Asia.

Mr. Robert Masterson, the President of Ripley Entertainment, says the group intended to hold a major stake in the new project, but declines to disclose the location and amenities of the project as it is too premature to discuss the details.

The Ripley Entertainment President says tourism in Phuket has recovered from the tsunami disaster in 2004, and the tourist market will be a major target for this project. He also believes Thailand’s political ambiguity has no major impact on the confidence of investors.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 July 2007

Kamala? Provide the island with the two most extravagant tourism venues in the one location (would make good sense commercially).

Ripley's Underwater World in Kamala? Believe it or Not! :o

OMG! Call the estate agents. Can you imagine the village main road with 3 times as many of the huge fantasea tour buses roaring through as now?

... ah, ye of little faith. You scoff now, but it makes perfect sense. I agree that if you ran a straw poll, the popular opinion would probably suggest Saphan Hin as a logical choice, but I wouldn't write-off the commercial draw of Kamala as a prospect... It would serve as tourism magnet to have that and Phantasea in the one location AND we are talking about a business venture (= quids).

... ah, ye of little faith. You scoff now, but it makes perfect sense. I agree that if you ran a straw poll, the popular opinion would probably suggest Saphan Hin as a logical choice, but I wouldn't write-off the commercial draw of Kamala as a prospect... It would serve as tourism magnet to have that and Phantasea in the one location AND we are talking about a business venture (= quids).

My guess is that it will be only accesible by tuk tuk and taxi, thus ensuring it gets through the planning stages and gains local support.

Sure we won't be able to local bus it there or just walk!

• 2 weeks later...
It will probably go next to the brand new huge Phuket Convention center and the gazillion baht mega marina and will also...

<deleted> there's a pig tapping on the glass of my 3rd story window.....

He's probably on the balcony sun bacon :o

I was just at the Aquarium over at Panwa 2 days ago.

I was impressed in: the surrounding area is beautiful, there is lots of parking, there is a nature walk behind the facility that leads up to a turlte breeding center with all sizes of turtles there, very clean, modern looking with interesting displays of fish.

I don't know why they want to build another one except perhaps because it is too far away from Patong and the northern part of the island.

I imagine it is all about money and someone thinks they can make a lot more somewhere else.

Perhaps if they would add an addition to the present one and maybe an outside dolphin/whale show (they seem to be building one of these between Chalong and Kata)

If Phuket is looking for ways to attract more tourists, I have thought about the lack of any walking or hiking trails on the island. How about a trail from PromThep to the Sarasin Bridge going over all the high peaks. Sure there is not much room to make money except for perhaps some refreshment places along the way. But exercise is so important. but maybe to "Ripley's Believe it or Not" it is.

I for one would be happy to hike a trail if it was there.

I don't think it's for everybody but people could jump on for a half day or even a few hours of good exercise with some great views and no traffic. Hit all the high points on the island, it would probably be 150 miles long or thereabouts. Probably a 10 day trip to thru-hike it end to end???

Maybe people would not be interested but i think a lot would.

Mosquitoes? They are generally out an hour at dawn and an hour at dusk.

Probably even longer than 150 miles. The mtns around here are very steep. Switchbacks would be necessary for 2 reasons: to make it a gradual climb instead of straight up and down 50+ degree grades, (which would be very very strenuous, dangerous, and not many would try after the first attempt) and 2/ erosion. (switchbacks with a washout at the end help decrease erosion of trails)

For example, the Pacific Crest Trail in California, Oregon and Washington in the US goes from Mexico to Canada, a distance of aprox 1200 miles. Yet the trail is 2650 miles long! Lots of switchbacks.

Also, in order to hit all the high peaks, yes it would zig zag considerably.

A friend of mine has sent a proposal for this to the Thai Dept. of Tourism already. It would be interesting to see if anyone is interested here on the forum.

Sorry to hijack this thread about the new aquarium. We already have one though. And it's pretty nice! IMO

there are loads of trails all over the hills in Phuket. If you see any crops up there, there will be a trail.

There are many old trails that were used by the locals before the roads were built.

You guys need to explore a bit more. Or, alternatively, ask someone who belongs to the Phuket Hash House Harriers.

Agree with Sir Burr - you can get a 4WD along most (not all) of them. But to go to Sarasin Bridge, you're going to have to traverse significant flat areas as well. If you want a challenge, why not try the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia (who knows, you may turn-up Jim Thompson's bones :o )