Marriage: References

Brickleberry

I'm getting married within the next few months, and I know I have to prepare documents with the British Embassy that show I'm single etc.

I've never been married previously, and I've lived in Thailand for a long time - around 10 years. I have no family in the UK, and I haven't kept in touch with friends back home. How can I get references from people who are not resident in Thailand?

Thank you!

The Plot thickens

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand/frequently-asked-questions

Who can I put for my two references?

The Thai authorities require your 2 references to be non-Thai nationals residing outside of Thailand. They can be anyone who knows you, including family or friends.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MJCM said:

This is what I was reading earlier this morning, which makes me think you need references for both methods; online and via paper form.

I still need to go to the embassy in BKK if I apply online or in person to do the actual signing, so there shouldn't be any difference in requirements right?

34 minutes ago, Joe Farang said:

I got married in Thailand and didn't need references. I think at the embassy (Irish) I just had to sign a declaration that I was single. After that getting everything translated was done by a translation service company that my wife found.

It does seem ridiculous that one needs to have references to show your single. Doesn't the embassy check to see if you have a marriage registered in the UK?

2 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

It does seem ridiculous that one needs to have references to show your single. Doesn't the embassy check to see if you have a marriage registered in the UK?

What I understand is that the Thai Government wants the 2 references when getting the affirmation of Marriage from the British embassy. The affirmation needs to be Translated into Thai and then legalized by the Thai ministry of foreign affairs before you can get married at your local amphur. When we got married the Amphur provided the witnesses (we told family and friends in the evening when we had a dinner organized for them (surprise surprise)

Just type in the names of your child hood friends and where they used to live I doubt that they will check..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

My guess is "no".

When I got the affirmation of marriage at my Embassy, I needed a recent statement from the last municipality (in my home country) where I lived before I moved to Thailand. On that it said “single”. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

What I understand is that the Thai Government wants the 2 references when getting the affirmation of Marriage from the British embassy. The affirmation needs to be Translated into Thai and then legalized by the Thai ministry of foreign affairs before you can get married at your local amphur. When we got married the Amphur provided the witnesses (we told family and friends in the evening when we had a dinner organized for them (surprise surprise)

Just type in the names of your child hood friends and where they used to live I doubt that they will check..

Ah, so I don't need to provide the references at the time of application to the embassy? This is something the local office requests in TH when we sign?

7 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Ah, so I don't need to provide the references at the time of application to the embassy? This is something the local office requests in TH when we sign?

no unfortunately not AFAIK. After reading the Embassy pages it seems that you have to go it to them for the affirmation.

this document then will be translated and legalized

I am totally not familiar with the British embassy but their webpages seem to be pointing that way.

Maybe ask a mod (by using the report button) to move it to this forum

https://aseannow.com/forum/193-marriage-and-family/

10 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

You need to put the names of the two references (people you know or once knew in the UK) on the application for the affirmation.  Nobody will attempt to contact these people.  This is not the same as the two witnesses you need at the Amphur when you eventually get married.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You need to put the names of the two references (people you know or once knew in the UK) on the application for the affirmation.  Nobody will attempt to contact these people.  This is not the same as the two witnesses you need at the Amphur when you eventually get married.

Thank you very much. I can relax now.

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.

Have a good day! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2023 at 7:24 PM, MJCM said:

But NOT if you go to Embassy because there you have to book an appointment to swear the affirmation of marriage at the British embassy in Bangkok and thus IMHO witnesses statements are not needed.

As it was explained to me by the Embassy official, it's not any sort of proof that I wasn't already married, just that I was swearing that I wasn't.

Ergo, witnesses not required.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As it was explained to me by the Embassy official, it's not any sort of proof that I wasn't already married, just that I was swearing that I wasn't.

Ergo, witnesses not required.

When I went quite a few years ago to the Embassy, I asked them before I signed the the affirmation  do I need to come back a few days later when you've checked my marriage status in the UK, they said no, wait 20 minutes, we don't check anything. 

Edited by roo860
  • Thanks 1