Getting my UK State Pension

Denim

I will turn 66 in September and will be applying for my State pension but have a few questions for those who have already been through this.

I have maintained a plausible address in the UK  ( my mothers ) and my name is on all the utility bills . However I live here full time . I will be back in the UK late July / early August and intend to apply onlne then.  Question one is :

1) How accurate was your pension forecast from the government site ? I have just done this and their forecast is significantly more than my guestimate by about 60 pounds a week ?

2) I will be applying about 6 weeks before my birthday and have my birth certificate to send.  Married to a Thai , will they want to see a translation plus original of my marriage license ?

3) I have lost the details of my work records ( start / finish dates ) and can only give the name of the employer and the correct order of employers. Will this cause any problems ?

That's about it. If anyone has any tips regarding this , I'll say thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Best to tick the 'not married' box.

Yes. This had occurred to me. Don't like to tell lies but not married in England so might be possible, could cause more headaches than its worth.

My own estimate of my pension was about 100 pounds so when their estimate came in at 165 it was a nice surprise but I'm pretty sure that when it comes to eat my estimate will be nearer to the actual. In any event, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Edited by Denim
20 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes. This had occurred to me. Don't like to tell lies but not married in England so might be possible, could cause more headaches than its worth.

The only unexpected question in the online application ......... 'what date were you divorced?'.

I just guessed a date, they didn't seem to care.

• Like 2
On 2/14/2023 at 4:32 PM, Denim said:

1) How accurate was your pension forecast from the government site ? I have just done this and their forecast is significantly more than my guestimate by about 60 pounds a week ?

It's very accurate. When I took my UK state pension, "their" forecast is exactly what I got. 

• Thanks 1

the maximum with 35 years of NI contributions after April 2023 will be about £10,000 a year, it works out roughly to £5.50 per week for each year of NI contributions you have, ie - so 30 years would be 30x£5.50 = £165 per week, can you buy some extra years to increase the weekly some, before claiming.

they should send you a letter some 3 or 4 months before your pension is due, this letter includes an invitation code, which makes the online process simpler. see here - https://www.gov.uk/get-state-pension

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

It's very accurate. When I took my UK state pension, "their" forecast is exactly what I got. 

Well thats nice to know. My own calculation was about 100 pounds a week. Theirs was 165 !!! Big difference. I could have sworn I was lazier than that but as I lost all my work records when my mother moved out of London I wasn't sure. Had so many jobs with so many employers.

25 minutes ago, steve187 said:

they should send you a letter some 3 or 4 months before your pension is due, this letter includes an invitation code, which makes the online process simpler. see here - https://www.gov.uk/get-state-pension

Unlikely since I have lived in Thailand the last 16 years straight plus another 16 in and out. Pretty sure they no longer have my address. But no matter as I will be in the UK in July and will sort it out then.

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Unlikely since I have lived in Thailand the last 16 years straight plus another 16 in and out. Pretty sure they no longer have my address. But no matter as I will be in the UK in July and will sort it out then.

Your gateway account will have your current address.

Login and change it if it's wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I requested a forecast a few years ago. I'll get my pension in 2027.  I requested another forecast last week and the amount was almost the same as previously forecast.  Does the forecast take into account projected RPI/Earnings increases?

no,  It predicts if you pay the years until retirement age

Edited by steve187
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Denim said:

how many years NI are they showing for you, at what age will you be when you pension is due 66+ some months?

55 minutes ago, steve187 said:

how many years NI are they showing for you, at what age will you be when you pension is due 66+ some months?

I will be exactly 66 when the pension is due. They have not shown how many years. Only this was sent :

( I previously miss quoted at 165 in earlier post )

pen.jpg

As the State pension is increasing in April to just over 200 pounds a week I suppose this calculation is based on that. I was always on PAYE so I guess my many employers were more diligent than I supposed in paying my NI contributions. 

Edited by Denim
3 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

You might find that it will now be based on whatever the current rate is when you claim , which will be more than 185 pounds. Get a new forecast maybe. In the meantime I got my information swatting up on youtube.

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

You might find that it will now be based on whatever the current rate is when you claim , which will be more than 185 pounds.

Exactly.  That was what I was trying to say.  So your own forecast will increase after April as it is currently based on today's rate not including future increases.

2 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Exactly.  That was what I was trying to say.  So your own forecast will increase after April as it is currently based on today's rate not including future increases.

Hmmm...I won't complain if that is the case. A pittance in the UK but a handy amount here in Thailand.

7 hours ago, Denim said:

I will be exactly 66 when the pension is due. They have not shown how many years. Only this was sent :

( I previously miss quoted at 165 in earlier post )

pen.jpg

As the State pension is increasing in April to just over 200 pounds a week I suppose this calculation is based on that. I was always on PAYE so I guess my many employers were more diligent than I supposed in paying my NI contributions. 

do a NI check, it seems you have some NI years missing maybe they are saying you have 30 years, instead of the required 35 for maximum pension

• Thanks 1