Snorkelling Around Pattaya

keebone

Is there anywhere within easy reach of Pattaya that would be any good for snorkelling. I know Koh Chang and Samet are reasonable options but would prefer somewhere I could drive to as a day trip without too much bother preferably. I've read that Koh Si Chang is ok for snorkelling and having been there before wouldn't mind a trip back but would apreciate other suggestions.

I've only snorkelled a couple of times before, once in Barbados which was great and in Samui a few days ago which was ok but far from spectacular. I'm not the worlds strongest swimmer so somewhere not too daring would be best.

Is there anywhere within easy reach of Pattaya that would be any good for snorkelling. I know Koh Chang and Samet are reasonable options but would prefer somewhere I could drive to as a day trip without too much bother preferably. I've read that Koh Si Chang is ok for snorkelling and having been there before wouldn't mind a trip back but would apreciate other suggestions.

I've only snorkelled a couple of times before, once in Barbados which was great and in Samui a few days ago which was ok but far from spectacular. I'm not the worlds strongest swimmer so somewhere not too daring would be best.

Try Koh Khaang Khao . The small little island beside Koh si chang. Not many people snokels there. And there's hardly any tourists. Only a few local fishermen living there. But when the water is clear, it's not so bad. The corals collected at the aquarium in Koh Sichang are mostly found there. There are basically 2 areas where there are nice corals and fishes. One is just right in front of the fishermen hut (about 2-5m deep) and the other one behind the island(about 5-8m). But no one at Koh Sichang will bring you there. You have to call a private speedboat. I've got this number from this young speedboat owner. You can try calling him at 08 194 705 73. But he hardly speaks any English. Try getting someone to help you talk to him in thai. A very friendly guy though.

Snorkeling in Pattaya, not really advisable off the the mainland, best bet is get out to one of the islands, Koh Larn is probably the easiest and possibly Koh Sak by ferry service from the new pier, or charter a boat to the far islands.

BB

You are brave... anyone willing to put more than their little toe in the water deserves an award, or a proclamation from our beloved Mayor, from whom all good things come, and who can do no wrong.

My suggestion is to get one of those aquarium screen-savers on the 4th floor of Tuk-Com, for 100 baht... much safer. Or if that's too pricey, just go to the food counter at Foodland, and look at the fresh fish amongst the ice.

WEHO; you may be (or not) an expert for many things. Snorkeling is clearly not one of them. The near and especially the far Islands of Pattaya are very nice for Snorklers. The water there is ok. Visibility mostly good (for snorkeling). Many fish's and Coralls to see. Just be carefull there are some Speedboats and Jetskis around the Near Islands.

A Tip for you WEHO (as I like you). If you like to see plenty of Fishs, just go to Walking Street. Never saw so many Sharks as there. The fish that is, just have a look outside the Searfood Places. And it's for free.

Keebone, I've scuba dived and snorkelled most of my life and I can tell you how much you enjoy a snorkelling location will depend on what you've experienced before. You didn't enjoy Samui much because it didn't match Barbados - that's because Barbados is in the open ocean, whereas Samui is at the entrance to what could be described as a giant tepid (and polluted) bathtub - Gulf of Thailand.

I cut my diving teeth on the Great Barrier Reef and then around the Philippines and the Caribbean. They are hard locations to beat; one look at the Gulf of Thailand and my snorkel stayed inside my diving bag. If you didn't enjoy Samui, you won't do any better up here near Pattaya because Samui is more exposed to the open ocean.

You haven't snorkelled much, so how about giving it ago and reporting back here. Maybe you could get an underwater camera (disposable) and take some photos.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. My expectations are not really very high, just a little something to do in the daytime apart from the obvious.

Can I make a gentle suggestion... your suggestiong that everyone is a "guy" is:

1. sexist

2. possibly wrong

3. naive

4. i forgot what i was going to say for four

I would suggest for the benefit of an open and truthful dialog, that everyone try to make an effort not to make assumptions about thing we are not sure of. Generally, people here are pretty good about that.