Is AIS throttling the signal when they sense you are watching IPTV ?

Thaddee

I use a Thailand based IPTV provider and a VPN to watch my favorite channels in the world. Recently, say 2-3 weeks, the signal freezes after 10 minutes of play, no matter what channel or what VPN connection I establish. It feels as AIS can detect by the flow of signal that I am watching TV and then decides to throttle my signal. I check the strength of my signal and it is great, above 150 mps .It seems to happen mostly in the evening. Anyone else has that occurrence ? Do you believe they can do that ? I mean technically, is it possible ? Any suggestion to fix that ? 

48 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I have the same problem with AIS starting at 8 pm every evening while watching IPTV on my android box and i live in the heart of Sukhumvit, maybe the OP is right.

The 8pm slowdown is probably nothing to do with AIS it is the number of users overloading the network.

22 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The 8pm slowdown is probably nothing to do with AIS it is the number of users overloading the network.

Yet, when I run the speed test, results are high, over 150 mps

You're using mobile data? Or Fixed Broadband?

I infer mobile data, given the data rates mentioned, and use of the term "signal". If so, what are the paramaters of your mobile data package.

Is this just over the last 2  - 3 weeks?

Previously, for some long period of time, in this location with this kit and streaming service/sources, everything worked acceptably?

When you're relying on ad hoc re-streamers, who have limitied upstream bandwidth, and more popular streams, it's not unusual to experience issues. I mean companies like Netflix build out massive networks to support streaming applications.

Can you describe the network details, kit you use, and the channels/sources you are experiencing issues with?

On 2/20/2023 at 9:05 AM, Thaddee said:

I use a Thailand based IPTV provider

What does this provider say when you contact them regarding your issues?

Edited by bamnutsak

I have the same problem with AIS while watching IPTV on my android 10 box, had the same problem on my Android 8 box [reason I bought a new box].. Never used a VPN

NO idea, if [often] when I watch the same TV stations on my PC also NO VPN there is never a problem. never suddenly stops/freezes  ??  Use Bluestacks so all the different TV contents are the same as on my Android box 

Also odd, thought I would try. just a few baht a month added Nat Geo offer from AIS to my box = perfect No sudden stops/freezes   

Hi, had the same problem with AIS over the last few months and using a VPN didn't help one bit. Switched to 3bb and the problem stopped. Get occasional buffering for a few seconds as you do with any isp in Thailand but nothing major.

AIS do seem to throttle at busy times now but using vpn certainly didnt help.

To follow up on this enigma, I called AIS fiber service to enquire whether it could be that they throttle in some instances or moments of the day. They sent technicians to my home and they found a bent cable which they said was causing the problem. They denied that AIS would throttle and said the cable was the only reason for buffering. In reality, after 2 evenings of watching TV, it still buffers at times but less than before.  Progress but not full recovery is how I would characterize the situation. Good luck to all and thanks for the comments.

• 1 year later...
On 2/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, Thaddee said:

Yet, when I run the speed test, results are high, over 150 mps

but a speed test to where? What servers? Usually it defaults to the closest, I.e a server in Bangkok - this will show good speed. 

You would need to speed test to your IPTV servers, which isn’t easy. But you can guarantee it would be much slower than 150mbps, especially at peak times, limited by Thailands network and the IPTV servers capability.
You’ll notice you can always stream YouTube/Netflix etc, because they have incredible infrastructure worldwide. Illegal streamers on the other hand, don’t.