What is the (government) electricity rate in Pattaya (is my condo scamming me?)

ChinChan

Hello everyone,

I always paid around 4.5 THB / kWh for my electricity bill while renting a room / condo.

In January 2023 I moved to another condo (in Pattaya) and this time the staff said the price was 6 THB / kWh.

After living there 1 month, the staff said now the price is increased to 8 THB / kWh and he said that is the new government rate.

Is this true? Or is my condo scamming me? I know quiet a lot of condo's scam their guests by charging 8 THB / kWh while the government rate is 4.5 kWh.

I know in a lot of countries the electricity bill went up in 1 year so that might be the case here also. I just try to get more information before making any accusations.

The actual rate your condo pays to PEA depends on the type of rate plan they have (flat vs peak/off-peak). Prior to the war, the typical monthy average rate for the peak/off peak plan was around 3.6-3.7 per unit, and around 4.5 per unit if flat plan.

After the recent increases, the flat rate actual in Jan was around 5.6-5.7 per unit (and peak/off peak a relatively discounted about same as earlier I think).

What and based what on your condo charges you, depends on their policy. If your charged rate earlier was 4.5, they may have charged the actual rate if their plan flat,  or with some add-on if peak/off peak.

For Jan if 8, for sure there has been some add-on on top of what they actually paid to PEA.

I have the understanding that in coming months the PEA rate will go up more, but not 100% sure.

Edited by mran66

This is a common practice to increase the rent. There are laws regulating this depending on the number of rooms the landlord rents out. This topic was discussed here in this forum several times already. Long story short - one of the laws that are not enforced here in Thailand. If anybody knows a case where this was enforced please let me know it.