Filipina Girlfriend

Hi - I am moving back to Thailand in September and I want to have my Filipina gf with me. Can anyone give me some solid advice about how, where, and type of visa to get for her. I want to make it more than a short term plan because we will stay together and leave Thailand about every 4 or 5 months and return. Will Manilla give her a hard time! What about Vientiene? Will they treat her differently than a yank or brit or euro? Any help based on real and recent experience greatly appreciated!

Hi - I am moving back to Thailand in September and I want to have my Filipina gf with me. Can anyone give me some solid advice about how, where, and type of visa to get for her. I want to make it more than a short term plan because we will stay together and leave Thailand about every 4 or 5 months and return. Will Manilla give her a hard time! What about Vientiene? Will they treat her differently than a yank or brit or euro? Any help based on real and recent experience greatly appreciated!

Well, I don't know how much this will help, but it is my story. My filipina girlfriend and I currently live in Hanoi and are moving to Bangkok at the end of this month. For her to leave the Philippines 9 months ago she had to show immigration in Manilla a return ticket TO THE PHILIPPINES or they were not going to let her leave. I think this is pretty standard in Manilla. Last month we went to the Thai Embassy here in Hanoi because we wanted to get our visas (2 month tourist) ahead of time. For her, all they required was a ticket into Thailand. She is permitted to stay for 2 months without any charge. If she wants to extend her stay for another month she will have to go to immigration in Bangkok and pay the fee, 1900 baht I believe but am not sure exactly. Then after 90 days total has expired she will have to go to an embassy in another country and apply for another tourist visa. This has been my experience so far. There is at least one other member here on this forum who also has a Filipina girlfriend, maybe he can add something more.

Badbrad - are you talking about the Vietnamese embassy in Manila?

Johnny, whatever gave you that idea? This is what Badbrad wrote:

My filipina girlfriend and I currently live in Hanoi...Last month we went to the Thai Embassy here in Hanoi...

Got it now?

--------------

Maestro

a short summary of what she can expect

VISARULES and Update for Ban Laem Trips

1. You are permitted to stay up to 90 days on visa exemption entries within a six month period. Time spend on any kind of other Visa (Tourist Visa or Non Immigrant Visa) do not count towards the 90day total.

2. The first six month period has started from your first entry after 1. October 2006, every entry counts.

3. After the 1. April 2007 the Rule has been adjusted slightly, but you still can not exceed the 90days allowance within the six month period.

5. Most people have started their second six month period and are able to do 3 consecutive border run (3x30) again .The 30day stamp or visa exemption stamp is NOT a Tourist Visa as many think .

6. Example for six month period: 18.12.06 to 17.06.07, re-enter with visa exempt on 18.06.07.

Example:

1. Entry @ Airport 11.10.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, 30days, visa exempt

2. Entry @ Ban Laem 9.11.06, exit@ Mukdahan 8.12.06, 30 days, visa exempt

Enter @ Mukdahan 9.12.06 , exit @ Ban Laem 6.2.07 , 60days, Tourist Visa

extent in Thailand at any Immigration Office for 30days , THB 1,900.-, extension until 7.3.07 .

3.Entry @ Ban Laem 7.3.07 ,permission to stay until 5.4.07 , 30 days , visa exempt

Immigration will allow this person back into the Country with a 30day visa exempt stamp on 11.4.07.

This person has now two possibilities.

A: Get another Extension (THB 1,900.-) for 7 days at the Immigration and re-enter Thailand on the 11.4.07 with a 30day visa exempt stamp to start a new SIX-MONTH period with 3x30days border runs .

B: Apply on/before the 5.4.07 for a new Tourist Visa.

Extension: possible at Immigration Main Office in Soi Suan Plu, off Sathorn Road (Monday to Saturday) or at the Immigration Office in the Novotel next to Suvarnabhumi Airport (Monday to Friday). Any extension cost THB 1,900.-.

A Tourist Visa will be extended for 30days.

A 30day visa exempt stamp and any Non-Immigrant Visa will be extended for 7 days only.

You can convert the 30day visa exempt stamp to a Non-Immigrant Visa by going to the Immigration with the proper documents and 21 day stay remaining, meaning you have up to 9 days time after your entry. Application fee THB 2,000. - .

Please note that your Passport needs to remain valid for at least another 6 month for any Visa application.

Further info on the Ministry of Foreign Affair webpage: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/12.php

All Embassies/Consulates in SEA will issue only Single Entry Tourist Visas.

Please be reminded to apply for a Re-entry permit before you leave during your stay on a Tourist Visa, otherwise your Visa is considered cancelled.

Update about Ban Laem Visa Run Trip

With immediate effect it is not required anymore to show an Air Ticket @ BanLaem.

Every person without a Visa (enter with 30day visa exempt stamp) has to buy a compulsory Bus Ticket

for addl THB 200.- . Please prepare extra THB 200.- and 1 additional passport size photo, thank you.

Johnny, one other point. I have heard from several people that the Thai embassy in Manilla is NOT a good place for anyone to try to get a visa. If you are there anyway you could give it a try, but shouldn't expect much. If you do try there, please post here your experience. Good luck.

Johnny, one other point. I have heard from several people that the Thai embassy in Manilla is NOT a good place for anyone to try to get a visa. If you are there anyway you could give it a try, but shouldn't expect much. If you do try there, please post here your experience. Good luck.

Its the same with the one in Phnom Penn, but the embassys reasoning for this is that there role is to serve locals and not anyone who decides to do a Visa run there. Going on this a Philippines citizen shouldnt have a problem? :o

Yes its true thai embassy in manila is very strict with regards to a Filipina going to Thailand. Even if she have the complete papers and money they required, they will still deny her the proper visa she needed(base from exprience). What she can do is to what had visarunner had mentioned, from suvarnabhumi airport get a 30 days visa exempt stamp and do border runs for 2 months.

But take a note, once she checks in, the officers at the manila airport will be asking her if she have 20k show money. Some will be okay if she said yes but others will ask her to show it to them.

But take a note, once she checks in, the officers at the manila airport will be asking her if she have 20k show money. Some will be okay if she said yes but others will ask her to show it to them.

This has never happened with my Filipino GF in 5 exits from Manila. i.e. she has never been asked to show money. I have heard of girls being asked to show hotel accommodation vouchers. There seems to be no end to the inconvenience the immigration officers at NAIA can put the Filipinos through when they try to leave, especially the young girls. It's all to do with their "altruistic" ideas of preventing "people trafficking".

We (she) had a difficult time leaving Manila in April because she didn't have a return ticket back to the Philippines. We argued her case and eventually, after talking to the supervisor, she got exit clearance. The NAIA Immigration officers selectively give Filipinos a hard time leaving if they don't show return tickets. An easy way to circumvent this problem is to keep edited e-tickets on hand.

Don't even consider trying to get a tourist visa in the Philippines. It won't happen (for her) and you'll be wasting your precious time touring around Makati in taxis, which is not pleasant (and a waste of time and money).

Johnny Dee, you should both be able to get single-entry tourist visas from the Thai Embassy in Hanoi. If you are coming to Thailand from Manila, just go for the 30 day visa-exempt entry, and after 30 days go on a tourist visa run to Laos, or Malaysia.

Living for 4 -5 months on a tourist visa/30 day stamp combination should be no problem at all, especially if you have a reasonable length of stay out of the country (Philippines) in between. If you need 5 months, then come in from Manila on a 30 stamp, then get a tourist visa for a further 3 months, then one more border run for a 30 day stamp.

Note: tourist visas are free for Filipinos. 30 day extensions on tourist visas cost 1900 at an immigration office.

This has never happened with my Filipino GF in 5 exits from Manila. i.e. she has never been asked to show money. I have heard of girls being asked to show hotel accommodation vouchers. There seems to be no end to the inconvenience the immigration officers at NAIA can put the Filipinos through when they try to leave, especially the young girls. It's all to do with their "altruistic" ideas of preventing "people trafficking".

They've been asking this since 2005. Maybe the reason your GF was never asked is because you were with her. You know the mentally of most Filipinos, if you are with a "kano" then you have the money.

It is really tough there. They checked everything. Even your luggage that you are going to check in. Very different from here. I dunno why.

Edited by cashe

They've been asking this since 2005. Maybe the reason your GF was never asked is because you were with her. You know the mentally of most Filipinos, if you are with a "kano" then you have the money.

It is really tough there. They checked everything. Even your luggage that you are going to check in. Very different from here. I dunno why.

Hi,

Just want ro share my experience in Thai embassy in Manila last october. I must say that it's really hard to get a visa there for they ask for a lot of requirements. Like:

1. Show money at least PHP 25,000 (USD 500) that time. You need a bank certificate for this if you show your credit card or atm, they will ask you to do an online inquiry so they will see you have enough funds.

2. Return Ticket to Philippines

3. Certificate of employment (if working)

4. valid ID's

5. Invitation letter from a relative, friend in Thailand stating that they will bear all expenses during your stay here

6. Hotel accommodation (got away with it for I told them I will stay with my friend)

7. Passport pictures

8. Visa Fee (for Filipinos it's free)

I managed to get a tourist visa because I have the necessary requirements. But I saw one american denied of a visa because they told him he don't have the complete documents. There are only 2 staff in the embassy checking the documents, if you happen to go there just don't go to the gay one. Not that accomdating.

Hope this helps.

BM

Are you sure your gf is ready to live in Thailand??

I doubt she will get a job, and unless she speaks Thai she is likely to feel very isolated.

As a long term project you will need to get married. Then she can stay as your dependant,

assuming you will have a job that assures you of a year by year visa.

Thanks for the replies. I am not worried about visa for me because I can get any I want. I used to do this for a living in Thailand. But I am unsure of the Thai embassy process in Manila and how the Thai will treat her at other embassy like in Laos.

The Thai Embassy/Consulate in Laos are very friendly places , staff is very helpfull .

About the Thai Embassy in Manila , so far , I heard only negative comments, even Farangs got rejected when applying for a Tourist Visa .

Many PH are living in Thailand and have no problem to do the routine of Visaruns to Cambodia and Tourist Visa Runs to Laos or Malaysia.

Edited by visarunner

Thanks Visarunner - I will use Vientianne

And Astral - she doesn't need a job. We have an online business. We can't get married. I'm married to a Thai already. About speaking Thai - how many farang live for years and can't speak Thai much less Issan dialect? I lived In Issan for 6 years.

Hi,

Just want ro share my experience in Thai embassy in Manila last october. I must say that it's really hard to get a visa there for they ask for a lot of requirements. Like:

1. Show money at least PHP 25,000 (USD 500) that time. You need a bank certificate for this if you show your credit card or atm, they will ask you to do an online inquiry so they will see you have enough funds.

2. Return Ticket to Philippines

3. Certificate of employment (if working)

4. valid ID's

5. Invitation letter from a relative, friend in Thailand stating that they will bear all expenses during your stay here

6. Hotel accommodation (got away with it for I told them I will stay with my friend)

7. Passport pictures

8. Visa Fee (for Filipinos it's free)

I managed to get a tourist visa because I have the necessary requirements. But I saw one american denied of a visa because they told him he don't have the complete documents. There are only 2 staff in the embassy checking the documents, if you happen to go there just don't go to the gay one. Not that accomdating.

Hope this helps.

BM

Yes, so basically if the girl (Filipino) doesn't have employment and friends/relatives living in Thailand, she will not get a visa.

Being supported by a farang does not count no matter how much money she can show. No job, no visa.

Edited by tropo

I'm sorry, I find this very hard to believe. I'm always in contact (through Internet forums) with other people who travel to Thailand with their Filipino GF's (and some GF's travelling alone to meet their BFs in Thailand), and I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce proof of funds at the airport. Are you sure you're not referring to the Thai Embassy in Manila which requires to see proof of funds for a tourist visa application.

Who checks the luggage? Where? At the airline counter when you check it in?

Edited by tropo

And Astral - she doesn't need a job. We have an online business. We can't get married. I'm married to a Thai already. About speaking Thai - how many farang live for years and can't speak Thai much less Issan dialect? I lived In Issan for 6 years.

As Tropo has pointed out, without a visa you GF cannot get a visa for more than a few months.

The other option, marriage to you, is out.

So what are you going to do?

On the language side, you may manage without speaking Thai, you mix with other farangs.

Your gf will want friends she can talk to and share secrets etc.

Do you have other Filipino friends in LOS?

I doubt farang women will want to know, and if she cannot speak Thai she is going to feel isolated.

As Tropo has pointed out, without a visa you GF cannot get a visa for more than a few months.

The other option, marriage to you, is out.

So what are you going to do?

On the language side, you may manage without speaking Thai, you mix with other farangs.

Your gf will want friends she can talk to and share secrets etc.

Do you have other Filipino friends in LOS?

I doubt farang women will want to know, and if she cannot speak Thai she is going to feel isolated.

Just another point, most Filipinos speak English decently well and many more than decently. Also, it seems that many people manage to stay in Thailand for extended periods of time by using tourist visas and VOAs. Things appear to be changing, but for now I think where there is a will there is a way. At least i hope so, because I'm in a pretty similar situation.

I'm sorry, I find this very hard to believe. I'm always in contact (through Internet forums) with other people who travel to Thailand with their Filipino GF's (and some GF's travelling alone to meet their BFs in Thailand), and I've never heard of anyone being asked to produce proof of funds at the airport. Are you sure you're not referring to the Thai Embassy in Manila which requires to see proof of funds for a tourist visa application.

Who checks the luggage? Where? At the airline counter when you check it in?

No not the embassy but I know they too asked for the show money. It had happened to me and to my other Filipino friends. I think it depends on which airline you are in. Most of my friends uses kuwait airways since they are cheaper. If you go by Thai air, they will not ask you this. I think.

The airport officers checks your luggage just before you check in. You can see them on front of the airport counter.