US Embassy: Battery Power-Pack Confiscated

dddave

My friend went to the US Embassy yesterday with an appointment. At security, among the possessions in his bag was a battery power-pack, about 10,000 mah. Security confiscated the power-pack and locked it in some kind of hazard box. and refused to return it when he departed the Embassy. No explanation given.

Has anybody else experienced this at the US Embassy?

Forbidden Items and Entry Regulations:

Embassy security procedures require that all visitors receive a security inspection. You will be allowed to check two cell phones at the Embassy gate but the US Embassy and the Embassy guards are not liable for any loss or damage to your cell phone(s) while it is checked. You will NOT be allowed to enter the U.S. Embassy for your appointment carrying any of the following items:

Any other battery-operated or electronic devices such as computer tablets, digital diaries, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, or portable music players.
Any oversize shoulder bags or purses.
Any oversize handbags and travel bags, large back-packs, briefcases, or suitcases. Applicants can only carry in clear bags containing papers needed for their appointment
Any food item (there is a coffee stand with snacks available for purchase).
Sealed envelopes or packages.
Cigarettes / cigars / match boxes / lighters.
Any sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files.
Weapons or explosive materials of any kind.
The list provided above is not exhaustive. Other items may be prohibited at the discretion of security staff. Other than the two allowed cell phones, the US Embassy will not accept the storage of any of the above prohibited items. You will have to make alternate arrangements to store these items before you enter the Embassy.

Only visa applicants with confirmed appointments will be granted access on to the Embassy compound. Accompanying persons are required to wait outside the Embassy entrance.

If you fail to follow these security requirements you may face delays or cancellations to your visit.

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/

This is a good scam.  Not to take it, but to NOT give it back.

I don't allow cash in my place.   ALL CASH confiscated!!!!!!!  lol

I've been to the embassy a few times......I guess I was OK.   

Come on, if you are running from the KGB and hop the fence at night in the movies.......do they give you your bag back???????  lol