Cruz blasts Merchant Marine Academy superintendent’s ‘flawed understanding’ of First Amendment

Scott

This image released by ABC shows Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas during an appearance on the daytime talk show "The View" in New York on Monday, Oct. 24, 2022. (Lou Rocco/ABC via AP)

EXCLUSIVE: Senator Ted Cruz, R-Texas, sent a letter to Merchant Marine Academy superintendent Joanna Nunan blasting her "flawed understanding" of the First Amendment amid the academy controversy around the covering of a painting depicting Jesus Christ.

Cruz sent the letter to Nunan on Tuesday, writing he is "gravely concerned" about the "decision to cover and move the painting ‘Christ on the Water’" painted in the 1940s "which honors mariners lost at sea during World War II."

"At the time the painting was placed on the wall, the room ‘served as the Academy’s interfaith chapel’ and did so from 1942 to 1961," Cruz wrote.

https://news.yahoo.com/cruz-blasts-merchant-marine-academy-190927102.html

YahooNews.jpg

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sounds like more wokeness at work.

Even you accept that a painting is "speech", which I don't, how is moving it to a chapel a violation of that free speech? We are talking about a military academy which is supposed to be secular. It is not a christian organisation.

This isn't about "wokeness". It's nothing to do with partisan politics is it? Would it be more appropriate in the oval office do you think?

In what way does it honor non christian sailors who died fighting for America?

Sounds like religious hegemony to me.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 2

Just theater wonder if the governor is jealous cause Cruz thought of it first.I think the citizens of Texas would be better served by mr Cruze to focus on things that matter perhaps he could start with their power grid remember that one cancoon Cruz lmao ???? 

To Cruz, "interfaith" would be Baptists and Lutherans eating dinner together. Idiot demagogue

Here is James Madison ("father of the Constitution") views

"The establishment of the chaplainship to Congs is a palpable violation of equal rights, as well as of Constitutional principles: The tenets of the chaplains elected [by the majority] shut the door of worship agst the members whose creeds & consciences forbid a participation in that of the majority.

...Better also to disarm in the same way, the precedent of Chaplainships for the army and navy, than erect them into a political authority in matters of religion."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bendejo said:

I am a registered US Merchant Marine but I never sailed: couldn't get into the union (I needed an uncle).  I had never heard of the Merchant Marine Academy up to now.

There are several schools they teach deck officers and engineering officers the academy here on the west coast takes the  students on a circumnavigation of our Little Rock (earth) they get their 100 ton ticket out of it

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 1:10 PM, placeholder said:

He may have been the father of the Constitution, but he was clearly also a flaming woke liberal.

I do hope you are making a joke. If not, go siddle up to authoritarian fascists like Putin. For the times, Madison, Jefferson, etc were flaming liberals... the idea that leaders should be chosen by the people! That religion should not be part of government! Outrageous!

BTW here is the source of the Madison quote, as Placeholder suggested I should cite it: https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/421149-but-besides-the-danger-of-a-direct-mixture-of-religion