US ex-lawyer Alex Murdaugh admits lying but denies killing family

Scott

image.png

In a murder trial that has gripped the US, the scion of a South Carolina legal dynasty has admitted to lying about his whereabouts on the night his wife and son were killed.

But Alex Murdaugh, 54, denied ever hurting Maggie or Paul Murdaugh, who were fatally shot at the family's secluded hunting estate in June 2021.

The former lawyer took the stand on Thursday in week five of the trial.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64752755

BBC.jpg

I have tried to follow this trial.  This is a man and a family that have really, really fallen from grace.  I am surprised they haven't had a good psychological/psychiatric evaluation.  It takes a psychopath to kill his family if he did.   

I lean toward thinking he did, simply because he was in the area and if someone else killed them, he should have been able to identify them.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Methinks the liar doth lie about that which he claims not to have done. . 

That could be the best explanation.  The thing is, he was there.  They were killed.  He said he didn't do it, but it doesn't seem that there was anyone else around.  

At any rate, his credibility is pretty much shot.   

• Like 1

I just listened in to the SC DA cross of defendanr Murdaugh and he is clearly devoid of evidence and at this point seems to be "letting" the defendant win the case. I'd say Murdaugh walks on murder.

They need a tough and smart oak like former prosecutor Trey Gowdy to close this murder trial out in conclusive legal terms.

Edited by dotcalm
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jaybott said:

There's a Netflix documentary covering this: "Murdaugh Murders: A Southern Scandal".  I haven't watched it yet but it's on my watch list.

It's good, gripping, stuff. Especially all the background about Mallory Beach and the boat accident.  Very much a teaser though, as the full documentary won't be completed until after the verdict.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's good, gripping, stuff. Especially all the background about Mallory Beach and the boat accident.  Very much a teaser though, as the full documentary won't be completed until after the verdict.

I've followed this case and I saw the documentary.  It's very well done.  It's amazing to see how powerful this family was and how they have fallen.

• Like 1